Home

2014 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

This is a discussion on 2014 MLB Trade Deadline Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #17
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: 2014 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I sincerely hope this is sarcasm..............Because to call Addison Russell a "lesser guy" is just flat ignorance otherwise, considering he's a Top 5 MLB prospect on virtually all major scouting services. What comparable headliner was available? Gary Sanchez? Aaron Sanchez? lol, give me a break.
Agreed, and to anyone saying they didn't need Russell(another SS), let's be real. You try to get the best players you can. Honestly, to get a Top 5 prospect for two guys who have been great this year, but only a little above average the last 3, that's a clear win in my books.

Samardzija did the Cubs an absolute favor by asking for the moon in extension talks. I don't see him as an ace of a staff. Very comparable to Homer Bailey in my mind. A good pitcher but will be vastly overpaid once he gets his.
NCAA: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #18
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
I sincerely hope this is sarcasm..............Because to call Addison Russell a "lesser guy" is just flat ignorance otherwise, considering he's a Top 5 MLB prospect on virtually all major scouting services. What comparable headliner was available? Gary Sanchez? Aaron Sanchez? lol, give me a break.
Mostly sour grapes LOL

The only solace I can take is that Hammel and Shark didn't go to the AL East.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #19
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoller1331
I agree. these may seem to have a lot in common to the casual fan (sorry, I don't mean to sound like a baseball snob, but I guess I am one), but when you break down this trade, the goals are really not similar at all. The biggest difference is the time they took place. The Shark-Hammel deal wasn't a mid offseason deal, it was a somewhat desperate trade to bolster the A's rotation for the last 3 1/2 months of the year. Samardzija very well could be pitching for another team come 2015. This was just your classic "rental" of a player, trying to win it all this season rather than setting a cornerstone for the years to come.

I would like to see the cubs make a move similar to the shields trade this offseason, but that's a whole different situation
Samardzija is under team control for another year. He won't hit FA until after the 2015 season.

Watch me play video games
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #20
It's a New England Thing

CameRoN0407's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Daniel Norris, no lols there.

BTW, Addison is a consensus T15 not T5. Still really good.

Team USA
Red Sox
Patriots
Celtics
Bruins
Old 07-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #21
the team

k_mac's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameRoN0407
Daniel Norris, no lols there.

BTW, Addison is a consensus T15 not T5. Still really good.

Agreed Norris is no slouch, but was he ever really available? We asked for a package around Sanchez and Norris and were shot down almost immediately. Now, I don't think we'll ever know if a deal with Norris minus Sanchez was in play, but if it was I'd still rather have Russell.

Russell is in the top ten of almost every prospect list I've seen (was ranked 11 pre-season by MLB.com), Norris is not a top ten guy. I fully believe Theo when he says that the A's offered the best deal.

We went with quality over quantity, and after a few years of doing the opposite, I'm okay with that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #22
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Samardzija is under team control for another year. He won't hit FA until after the 2015 season.
My mistake I thought he was in the final year of his contract

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #23
It's a New England Thing

CameRoN0407's Arena

OVR: 26
2014 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mac
Agreed Norris is no slouch, but was he ever really available? We asked for a package around Sanchez and Norris and were shot down almost immediately. Now, I don't think we'll ever know if a deal with Norris minus Sanchez was in play, but if it was I'd still rather have Russell.

Russell is in the top ten of almost every prospect list I've seen (was ranked 11 pre-season by MLB.com), Norris is not a top ten guy. I fully believe Theo when he says that the A's offered the best deal.

We went with quality over quantity, and after a few years of doing the opposite, I'm okay with that.

You were shot down because why would Toronto sell their top 2 prospects for Samardzija and Hammel when that's what Tampa is asking for Price? Price>>>>>>>>Samardzija and Hammel.

Norris is a T20 or even T10 prospect right now. those prospect rankings aren't updated vividly.

Baseball America has Russell at #15.

Team USA
Red Sox
Patriots
Celtics
Bruins
Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #24
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Cardinals showing strong interest in Jake Peavy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »