Home

Yankees-Red Sox ALCS Thread

This is a discussion on Yankees-Red Sox ALCS Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2004, 09:24 AM   #57
Rookie

Mr_Blonde's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Yankees-Red Sox ALCS Thread

The Yankees have 33 HR and 114 RBI sitting on the bench in Ruben Sierra and Tony Clark.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:32 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Blonde
The Yankees have 33 HR and 114 RBI sitting on the bench in Ruben Sierra and Tony Clark.

I think the most value added off the bench for this series is in guys who can play defense and run the bases. Sierra and Clark will become more important in the WS when theres no DH but as it is now, both lineups who have guys who can hit up and down the lineup. I think being able to insert a guy who can score from second will be a big.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #59
Rookie

Mr_Blonde's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucklich
I think the most value added off the bench for this series is in guys who can play defense and run the bases. Sierra and Clark will become more important in the WS when theres no DH but as it is now, both lineups who have guys who can hit up and down the lineup. I think being able to insert a guy who can score from second will be a big.
That's why Bubba Crosby's on the roster.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #60
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm gonna break it down right ther for you guys.

Catcher
Jorge Posada
Jason Varitek

Advantage: Even Depending on who you ask, they will probably give you a different answer. Defensively their both solid, and offensively Varitek has a higher average, but Jorge Posada has better power numbers, rbi's and on-base percentage.

1st base
John Olerud
Kevin Millar

Advantage: Red Sox, even though Olerud is better defensively Kevin Millar has really turned it around in the second half and is better offensively.

2nd base
Mark Bellhorn
Miguel Cairo

Advantage: Even. Mark Bellhorn has more power and drives in more runs and get on base more. But cairo can hit for a better average and is a little better defensively. Plus in the postseason Cairo has fared better while facing better pitching.

Shortstop
Derek Jeter
Orlando Cabrera

Advantage: Yankees Derek Jeter has better batting stats, though Orlando Cabrera may be better defensively (stat wise though jeter is better), but Jeter is the man in the postseason.

3rd Base
Alex Rodriguez
Bill Mueller

Advantage: Yankees A-Rod is just better at just about everything

Left Field
Manny Ramirez
Hideki Matsui

Advantage: Red Sox Manny is a much better hitter than Hideki Matsui even though Hideki is no slouch himself

Center Field
Johnny Damon
Bernie Williams

Advantage: Red Sox Johnny Damon has a better average, plus he is a main part of that team with his speed.

Right Field
Gary Sheffield
Trot Nixon

Advantage: Yankees Gary Sheffield is better offesenively

DH
David Ortiz
Ruben Sierra

Advantage: Red Sox David Ortiz is just a much better hitter.

Rotation
Schilling, Martinez, Arroyo, Wakefield/Lowe
Mussina, Lieber, Brown, Hernandez/Vazquez

Advantage: Red Sox Definetely better # 1 and 2 pitchers. The key will come down to the # 3 and 4 pitchers on both teams.

Set-up Men
Timlin, Embree, Myers
Gordon, Quantril, Sturtze

Advantage: Yankees Gordon is just filthy and even though Quantril has struggled as of late, Sturtze has added a cutter which seems to make him better. Though Boston's relievers are pretty good as well.

Closer
Keith Foulke
Mariano Rivera

Edge: Mariano Rivera He's just one of the best of all time, though Foulke is pretty good as well.

Bench
Mientkiewicz, Reese, Kaplar, Roberts
Wilson, Clark, Flaherty, Lofton

Advantage: Boston While Boston's bench they isn't the best batters in the world, they can come in handy to play solid defense and add some speed.

Manager
Joe Torre
Terry Francona

Advantage: Joe Torre Joe is one of the best managers in the game.

Better Homefield
Yankees
Red Sox

Advantage: Even Their both great places to play at.

Overall Offense
Yankees
Red Sox

Advantage: Yankees Yeah many are going to be wondering how i picked a team that scored about 50 less runs, but now A-Rod is snapped out of his funk with runners on scoring position and whole yankees offense was in such a bad slump in the beginning of the season with players like Bernie Williams and Derek Jeter

Overall Defense:
Yankees
Red Sox

Advantage: Not quite sure, but i would just give a slight edge to Yankees, because i think their outfield defense is a little better.

Overall Pitching
Yankees
Red Sox

Advantage: Red Sox Boston has much better starters, though New York has a better bullpen.

My Prediction: Yankees in 6
Old 10-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #61
Banned

In many of those cases its like comparing a mercedes to a bmw. Just because ARod is better than Mueller does not mean Mueller wont have a good/great series and that goes for almost every position for both teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2004, 10:59 AM   #62
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucklich
In many of those cases its like comparing a mercedes to a bmw. Just because ARod is better than Mueller does not mean Mueller wont have a good/great series and that goes for almost every position for both teams.
definetely i expect this to be a good series. I was just saying who i would give the egde to position wise. Like for example Hideki Matsui is really good, but Manny Ramirez is better, and thats just the way it worked out.

BTW I hope you are referring to A-Rod as the BMW and Mueller the Mercedes.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:19 AM   #63
Banned

Actually I already posted this but the lineups are so even that I think having Schilling start 3 times is an advantage for Boston. This is assuming Schilling pitches well. Schilling is the best starter on either team. This, however, doesnt mean he will excel and also a couple of Yankee pitchers might step up their game. If you like Mercedes more then ARod is a Mercedes and vice versa. No one would say Mueller is better but every position player is capable of having a better series than his counterpart.

BTW, this is the best thing since the 90s when the Cowboys would play the Niners or the 80s when the Lakers would play the Celtics. Most leagues have gone to a salary cap. Even the NCAA has had scholarship reductions. So it has become far more rare that you can see these epic battles.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #64
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Bubba Crosby.

Schilling doesn't scare me. He would've lost game 7 in 2001 if it wasn't for the bottom of the 9th, and our lineup is just so much better than it was then. Also, we made him cry earlier in the season.:y4:
You can't really compare this year to 2001. They arent the same teams so it just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I think everyone is underrating the Yankee pitching. Mussina has been great since September, and usually does pretty good against the Sox (they're hitting .189 as a team against him, [Manny .203, Nixon .193, Varitek .091, and Ortiz .069]). Lieber gives up a lot of hits, but he always seems to get out of a jam. Brown is the wild card, IMO. If he steps up, the Yankees won't have many problems. If he chokes, it could be trouble. Vazquez, while I don't have much confidence in him, wasn't that bad against the Twins, he didn't get any strikes called.
I agree somewhat. Mussina and Lieber pitch very well against the Sox and are good enough to compete with Schilling/Pedro, especially in Yankee stadium. The Red Sox have the advantage at the bottom of the rotation however. Brown is a big question mark and Vazquez just plain stinks.

I think they'll split in NY making game 3 starters, Arroyo and Brown, the pivotal matchup. There is also a good possibility they could face off in game 7.

My pick: Red Sox in 7.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »