Home

The LeBron James Thread

This is a discussion on The LeBron James Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Team?
Cleveland 82 20.81%
Chicago 86 21.83%
New York 71 18.02%
New Jersey 32 8.12%
Los Angeles Clippers 11 2.79%
Oklahoma City 7 1.78%
Miami 82 20.81%
Other 23 5.84%
Voters: 394. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #153
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58
Re: The Official "Where is LeBron going?" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott812313
There are 3 teams that LeBron could realistically go to that would be loaded with good young players. First off if the Nets win the lottery, he's going to NJ. Wall, Lebron, Lopez, T-Will and whatever they get for Harris will make them a force.

Secondly, he could go to the Bulls and team with Rose and Noah and whatever they can get for Deng. That would be the foundation of a great team. Also, don't forget that it will be much easier for him to get FA's to come to Chicago than Cleveland. They haven't signed anyone worth a damn since LeBron has been there, most of their pickups came via trade.

Thirdly, the scenario that doesn't get much play, is going to the Clippers. LeBron, Gordon, Griffin and Kaman would form a really good nucleus of young players that complement each other well. They also have a lottery pick this year to add another young guy to the mix.

Only way I can see him going to the Knicks or Miami is if they can find a way to get 3 USA guys on the same roster. Odds aren't good on that.
If he wants the money more than winning, it's NY.

However, NJ can offer both and the fact they have the richest owner in all of American sports has to be a incentive.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #154
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus

However, NJ can offer both and the fact they have the richest owner in all of American sports has to be a incentive.
I fail to see this concept.

LeBron would not make more money if he went to NY or NJ. People need to stop acting like he needs a big market. LeBron can play in Afghanistan right now and sell millions of jerseys and get thousands of endorsement deal offers.

LeBron will need to choose between either taking a chance with another organization bringing him what he wants or staying with what he knows. With all due respect, I know people look at the Cavaliers roster and say they can't make moves, but Ferry has show the willingness to be risky and Gilbert is willing to take on whatever salary obligations are necessary. I'm not so sure that other teams are willing to do that.

We'll see. LeBron is an extremely loyal person and he knows what it would mean to leave Cleveland. He would be letting down his hometown and basically become a villain if he left before bringing what he promised. I'm not sure he could live with that if he didn't do everything possible.

It's a predicament and one that likely won't be solved quickly. If I were him, Chicago would be really enticing...

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #155
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:

I honestly believe he wants to be extremely rich and powerful more than he wants to win. I also think he is a very smart kid. He knows he has to at least give the illusion that he is going some place to win, especially after how down the media has been on him this past week. Yeah the NJ owner with the 15 billion or whatever is a huge factor. I've always said, since it became apparent that the Cavs weren't going to win anything this year that if the Nets get the #1 pick, he is going to NJ.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #156
Banned

OVR: 6

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nb...ris&id=5185810
Old 05-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #157
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
I fail to see this concept.

LeBron would not make more money if he went to NY or NJ. People need to stop acting like he needs a big market. LeBron can play in Afghanistan right now and sell millions of jerseys and get thousands of endorsement deal offers.

LeBron will need to choose between either taking a chance with another organization bringing him what he wants or staying with what he knows. With all due respect, I know people look at the Cavaliers roster and say they can't make moves, but Ferry has show the willingness to be risky and Gilbert is willing to take on whatever salary obligations are necessary. I'm not so sure that other teams are willing to do that.

We'll see. LeBron is an extremely loyal person and he knows what it would mean to leave Cleveland. He would be letting down his hometown and basically become a villain if he left before bringing what he promised. I'm not sure he could live with that if he didn't do everything possible.

It's a predicament and one that likely won't be solved quickly. If I were him, Chicago would be really enticing...
You mean having his face and name plastered all over Times Square wouldn't produce more revenue over a city like OKC for example? I'm not saying he needs a market though. He'll make money anywhere as you pointed out but he would make more based on marketing in a market such as NY.

Cleveland is in a tough spot with making moves. To me their only really asset is Hickson and then mostly a bunch of overpaid guys. Thing is if for some reason Cleveland gets the ability to persuade a big name to come to Cleveland in a sign and trade then Hickson would be enough to get it done I'd assume. The only question would be matching contracts to get the trade done. LBJ has a lot of time to think everything through and we won't know anything really till sometime July. He's never been recruited before so I'm sure this is a experience he is really looking forward to.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #158
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott812313
I honestly believe he wants to be extremely rich and powerful more than he wants to win. I also think he is a very smart kid. He knows he has to at least give the illusion that he is going some place to win, especially after how down the media has been on him this past week. Yeah the NJ owner with the 15 billion or whatever is a huge factor. I've always said, since it became apparent that the Cavs weren't going to win anything this year that if the Nets get the #1 pick, he is going to NJ.
Oh the Nets chances are definitely riding on the ping pong balls. If they fall else where so goes any chance of LBJ I'd assume.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #159
MVP

Po Pimp's Arena

OVR: 15

It's gotta be between Cleveland and Chicago.

Cleveland is in his homestate and 40 minutes from his hometown city. He's trying to accomplish something big there, and while he hasn't got over the hump, his teams have won 60+ games in back to back seasons. The problem with Cleveland more than the players was the coaching. Playoffs is different from the regular season in that teams make adjustments. Mike Brown made no adjustments and his rotations were wacky.

If he chooses Chicago, he's going to a team that has heart and YOUNG talent. The Bulls played the Celtics tough last year and even though they lost in 5, they played Cleveland tough. Derrick Rose is like a mini-Lebron, and he would take the pressure off LeBron more than Mo Williams or any of those other Cavs did. Plus LeBron may be the type of arrogant cat that wants to emerge from Jordan's shadow. The Bulls would ONLY get better with LeBron. They won 41 games this year after a 10 game losing streak in which 3 starters were injured.

OKC is another option, but they already have Durant where he's the leader. If he goes to Miami, he would have to accept that it's Wade's team.

Any other team he chooses would be a step backwards.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #160
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
You mean having his face and name plastered all over Times Square wouldn't produce more revenue over a city like OKC for example? I'm not saying he needs a market though. He'll make money anywhere as you pointed out but he would make more based on marketing in a market such as NY.
He already has a few billboards in NY. I mean, a few billboards more maybe, but to suggest that he goes to NY he becomes an instant billionaire is crazy.

Quote:
Cleveland is in a tough spot with making moves. To me their only really asset is Hickson and then mostly a bunch of overpaid guys. Thing is if for some reason Cleveland gets the ability to persuade a big name to come to Cleveland in a sign and trade then Hickson would be enough to get it done I'd assume. The only question would be matching contracts to get the trade done. LBJ has a lot of time to think everything through and we won't know anything really till sometime July. He's never been recruited before so I'm sure this is a experience he is really looking forward to.
The Cavs have never really had a big time trading chip. They have turned bad players with expiring contracts into decent players with bad contracts. I could see someone like Philly biting on an Iggy trade or maybe even Toronto biting on a Bosh Sign and Trade for Hickson, West/Williams or both, maybe even Jamison.

The thing is, if they don't have the talent chips, they will take on more money than any team in the NBA. Hell, they took on that albatross of a contract in Shaq for average production, they knew he wasn't going to live up to his contract. I'm not sure another team would take on that money.

The long and short of it is, the Cavaliers will not let money or a lack of aggression stand in their way of a title. I would think this offseason more than any, they'll be extremely aggressive trying to get a player or two to ensure LeBron comes back to Cleveland.

Urban Meyer is lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »