Home

2020 NBA Trade Deadline

This is a discussion on 2020 NBA Trade Deadline within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #81
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: 2020 NBA Trade Deadline

Chandler isn't going to play for the rest of the year and you didn't need his salary for trade purposes. Also Nene will be cut soon which will take his contract next year off the books.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #82
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Who knows about long term of course, but this is a trade where I feel like each team is happy right now. Houston is all in on super small ball.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #83
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

To me this is a huge win for the Hawks.. They give up just one pick and it was the worst of the two they have, and honestly with Young, Hunter, Collins, Huerter, and Cam I'm not sure adding an extra rookie even makes sense unless it's a slam dunk can't miss prospect. They've got lots of talented youth to develop as is.

They get their big man at a not so bad contract. I feel like as often as Trae hits guys rolling to the rim Capela's numbers will be closer to that 17 a night mark he hit last year, he's already having a career year on the glass and he definitely helps them defensively. Trae will never be a plus on that end, having guys behind him who are is a huge key for them going forward. In terms of just fit they probably end up better with this move than the Drummond move and that's not even factoring in that he is cheaper as well.

I think this biggest question is how Collins fits next to Capela. He's already shooting well enough to be that stretch 4 type offensively, but I haven't watched enough of him to know how he matches up defensively with modern 4s which are basically 3s anyways.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #84
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

Collins last year was a bad defense player and this year he has improved a lot. I would rate him as good enough on defense now. He has done a better job at defending 4's then 5's. If your looking at stats DREB 6.2 to 7.7, STL 0.4 to 0.7 and blocks 0.6 to 1.8

The fit on offense is going to be the biggest question mark. Johns shooting 36% from 3 and seems to hit the corner shot higher then that. You can now stagger the minutes and always have one of him and Clint on the floor.

Yea Atlanta didn't have a need for two rookies going into next year. Since I expect the 50 million+ of cap space to be used to bring in guys to help win next year.

Atlanta can still add players to this deal before it becomes official. Since Len and Parker wasn't included they could flip those for 2nd round picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
To me this is a huge win for the Hawks.. They give up just one pick and it was the worst of the two they have, and honestly with Young, Hunter, Collins, Huerter, and Cam I'm not sure adding an extra rookie even makes sense unless it's a slam dunk can't miss prospect. They've got lots of talented youth to develop as is.

They get their big man at a not so bad contract. I feel like as often as Trae hits guys rolling to the rim Capela's numbers will be closer to that 17 a night mark he hit last year, he's already having a career year on the glass and he definitely helps them defensively. Trae will never be a plus on that end, having guys behind him who are is a huge key for them going forward. In terms of just fit they probably end up better with this move than the Drummond move and that's not even factoring in that he is cheaper as well.

I think this biggest question is how Collins fits next to Capela. He's already shooting well enough to be that stretch 4 type offensively, but I haven't watched enough of him to know how he matches up defensively with modern 4s which are basically 3s anyways.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #85
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

I still feel that as far as the Kuzma rumors go I think the Lakers definitely need to stand pat.. He averages over 20ppg in the games he starts, they were posting stats yesterday saying that the Bron/Kuz/AD line-ups have been plus 20 something on the season.. Almost all his "struggles" are minute/touches related, I expect the Lakers to keep him and run more AD at the 5 come playoff time.

I assume they will try to make a small move for someone on a cheaper deal using a 2nd round pick and a couple of guys.. Replace the roster spots with Collison, Iggy if bought out, JR, etc.

I will say though, the fact that they even invited JR to a tryout makes me worried they are mulling the idea of matching salaries with someone like Green/KCP to match salaries in a Kuzma trade.. An idea I don't think anybody should be on board with. And this Kuz quote makes it sound like he at least knows they are thinking about it:

“I really don’t care, honestly,” Kuzma said. “I can’t control it. I get traded, I get traded. Don’t matter. I’m still going to play basketball. I’m still going to play the game I love. I’m still going to get paid and I’m still going to play the game.”
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #86
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

Which of the Lakers mid tier salaries are more likely to get traded? I would think Cook and Cousins would be the most likely.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #87
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Kuzma and LeVert have had interesting seasons, this year.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #88
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
Which of the Lakers mid tier salaries are more likely to get traded? I would think Cook and Cousins would be the most likely.
Yeah Cook, Daniels, Cousins, THT.. They would be in a better spot if it were Daniels that had the 3-4 mil contract he's been worthless but as it stands Cook is already a 3rd string (4th if they run Caruso at point) point-guard on a team that says they want another point guard so I assume he's out.

Chemistry wise I believe they would like to keep Cook and Cousins, but probably not realistic. "Reports" keep saying the don't want to trade Cousins and expect him to play in the playoffs. I don't know if that is real or them talking him up for a trade. I know he and AD are friends, I assume any talks with Cousins in a trade would be ran past AD because they want him to re-sign.

KCP, Rondo, JaVale can all say no to a trade, making the only players who make enough money to match salaries Green and Bradley. KCP has probably outplayed them on a consistent level, but the sole purpose of having Danny is the playoff experience. He's basically the Iggy they want already on the roster.

Some of the more realistic "rumors" I've seen are trading for a stepladder contract, someone like MKG or Andre Roberson, and then flipping that contract for the player they actually want. Moves have to be made in a certain order but give them a way to make those trades without including Danny Green.

A bleacher report article (so creditable lol) mentioned flipping Cook and Cousins for Andre Roberson. Trade puts the Thunder under the luxury tax.. Lakers would then trade Roberson and two second round picks for Markieff Morris and Tony Snell, and in a separate trade sends Kuzma, Daniels, and THT out for Derrick Rose.

All of that depends on Detroit's plans. If they want to win games next year with Blake coming back it's likely not a great move.. If they want a guy like Kuzma to start re-shaping their roster they basically get him and 3 second round picks (calling THT a second round pick) and get a lot of breathing room under the luxury tax. Also depends if Detroit feels they can get a first round pick for Rose, and if they think that first round pick is better than Kuz.

I don't love that trade, because I don't think Rose helps them. But if Morris plays well and they get the guys they want from the buyout market it could work out in the end. I do wonder how you find minutes with KCP, Green, Bradley, Caruso, Snell, plus adding Iggy or JR or whoever.

Regardless if their plan was to make some sort of stepladder trade to get a contract to send away with or without Kuz, I think they can do much better for their team needs than D Rose. I think Kuzma is a better fit for them both this season and this off-season when they find themselves right back in trade talks.

Best suggestion I've read was doing a similar stepladder trade for MKG, it involved 2-3 of those same pieces and some cash considerations to land MKG, then trading MKG and those same second round picks to get Iggy.. They would land Iggy, keep Kuz, sign Collison to the empty spot. To me that is a better trade. With the Bogdanovic trade not being realistic the only other target to shoot for is Marcus Morris, I don't think the Knicks let him go for as cheap as those second rounders and I don't think the Lakers should trade Kuz for him either. Knicks would do far better with the Clippers trade if it's a real rumor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »