Home

Bold Prediction: Leinart won't live up to the hype

This is a discussion on Bold Prediction: Leinart won't live up to the hype within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Bold Prediction: Leinart won't live up to the hype

Matt Leinart did everything he had to at the College level. You can make the argument that Matt Leinart made the players around him better as well, just look at Mike Williams, while he may not have the strongest arm I still think it is good enough for the NFL and his second half of the Rose Bowl was really good missing only 2 completions. Besides arm strenght isn't everything in the NFL (though I'm not saying it doesn't help) just look at Vick. He probably has one of the strongest arms but it doesn't matter if he can't get the ball to a receiver. IMO there is a greater chance of Vince Young not living up to the hype. In the NFL defenses are better and will be able to contain Young better, and they will probably do a better job of covering receivers like USC should have done with Texas's TE and forced Young to beat him with his arm.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmark
No - actually that's not bold at all. History and the law of percentages indicate there's a better chance than not he won't be a superstar. Not to mention, it's been a few months since I heard anybody predict he'll be a great pro. Exactly what "hype" are you referring to?
Read all of the scouting reports on this guy. ESPN went as far to grade him as a 98 overall. There are plenty of people who still believe he's going to be something special.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #19
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Waterhouse
Read all of the scouting reports on this guy. ESPN went as far to grade him as a 98 overall. There are plenty of people who still believe he's going to be something special.
Aren't those all ESPN insider sites?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #20
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Exactly what is it about him that you don't like? Just a twitch or is it based on something?

I can't knock a guy because of the talent around him. One could almost say that somebody knocks Leinart because he has a great team around him, but says Vince Young will instantly turn a team into a contender (not you, I'm just seeing a lot of Pro-Young threads since last night, and with good reason). NFL LB's are much faster than what he's faced in college, and they don't just let guys run through arm tackles. Defensive linemen are better disciplined overall, and the windows to throw into are much smaller than he's faced so far. A guy like Young doesn't instantly turn it on in the NFL and become a blazing star based on athletic abillity. Everybody in the NFL is an exceptional athlete. You have to throw lasers, have to be decisive and have a quick release, as well as show the ability to read defensive coverages and make the appropriate hotreads to avoid being placed on your back inside of 2 seconds.

Leinart has done all of that.

The NFL game demands attention to detail. Film study. Intelligence. The clutch type of demeanor from a QB to will your team to victory. Leinart has displayed all of it. His throws are extremely accurate in the short range, and his mid-to-deep ball has good velocity as well. He audibles more than any college QB I've ever seen, and more often than not he audibles to exactly the right call. When he gets into a zone he absolutely picks you apart.

What more did you want to see to think he might be a good NFL QB? Dan Marino, I don't think he is. But the guy is a known party animal and reading coverages just looks easy to him, as if he could do it in his sleep. That may well prove to be his undoing...the difference between a Peyton Manning and a Ryan Leaf was the attention to detail and willingness to spend countless hours in the film room, studying everything that you could. Will Leinart be partying or in the film room, especially in a town like New Orleans?

I'm not ready to say Leinart will be a hall of famer, but nothing in his game has shown me that he's destined to flop. He demonstrated each key skill that an NFL-caliber QB needs, week in and week out for 3 seasons. Notre Dame comebacks, clutch 4th and long conversions, and even last night, when the chips were down, he makes the precise throws needed on 3rd down to convert and move the chains, scoring 4 straight TD's. It's not his fault the defense couldn't tackle Young, but to say he'll be a HUGE flop based on no concrete evidence other than a "feeling" would seem a bit premature.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
Exactly what is it about him that you don't like? Just a twitch or is it based on something?

I can't knock a guy because of the talent around him. One could almost say that somebody knocks Leinart because he has a great team around him, but says Vince Young will instantly turn a team into a contender (not you, I'm just seeing a lot of Pro-Young threads since last night, and with good reason). NFL LB's are much faster than what he's faced in college, and they don't just let guys run through arm tackles. Defensive linemen are better disciplined overall, and the windows to throw into are much smaller than he's faced so far. A guy like Young doesn't instantly turn it on in the NFL and become a blazing star based on athletic abillity. Everybody in the NFL is an exceptional athlete. You have to throw lasers, have to be decisive and have a quick release, as well as show the ability to read defensive coverages and make the appropriate hotreads to avoid being placed on your back inside of 2 seconds.

Leinart has done all of that.

The NFL game demands attention to detail. Film study. Intelligence. The clutch type of demeanor from a QB to will your team to victory. Leinart has displayed all of it. His throws are extremely accurate in the short range, and his mid-to-deep ball has good velocity as well. He audibles more than any college QB I've ever seen, and more often than not he audibles to exactly the right call. When he gets into a zone he absolutely picks you apart.

What more did you want to see to think he might be a good NFL QB? Dan Marino, I don't think he is. But the guy is a known party animal and reading coverages just looks easy to him, as if he could do it in his sleep. That may well prove to be his undoing...the difference between a Peyton Manning and a Ryan Leaf was the attention to detail and willingness to spend countless hours in the film room, studying everything that you could. Will Leinart be partying or in the film room, especially in a town like New Orleans?

I'm not ready to say Leinart will be a hall of famer, but nothing in his game has shown me that he's destined to flop. He demonstrated each key skill that an NFL-caliber QB needs, week in and week out for 3 seasons. Notre Dame comebacks, clutch 4th and long conversions, and even last night, when the chips were down, he makes the precise throws needed on 3rd down to convert and move the chains, scoring 4 straight TD's. It's not his fault the defense couldn't tackle Young, but to say he'll be a HUGE flop based on no concrete evidence other than a "feeling" would seem a bit premature.
you mean you don't just love for someone to make a "bold prediction" and not back up their arguments? That is always lacking with a lot of opinions that are shared on these boards.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #22
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

honestly I think Vince may have a more chance of not living up to his Rose Bowl hype than Leinart does. But that's just me.

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
I agree i never thought leinart was anything extra special, look at the team around him, he has every reason to succeed, his arm strength is average at best, he is going to be a system QB if he goes to a team with a west coast system then maybe he will shine but his talent is marginal at best, if he werent on USC he would be a 4th round pick. You could see it last night he threw up alot of ducks that should have became ints. He does so well because he is smart and is in the right system, but if he goes to New Orleans or some other rebuilding project place he is a bust
Hey, Joe Montana didn't have a great arm.

Rebuilding project? If it weren't for Aaron Brooks screwing up every year, this is a playoff team.
Leinart will also have great offensive weapons surrounding him, i.e.(Horn, McCallister, and Stallworth).

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 01-05-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

The Saints don't have anywhere else to go but Leinart. The QB depth isn't exactly stellar, and VY and Jay Culter aren't #2 worthy picks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »