Home

New league to challenge the NFL?

This is a discussion on New league to challenge the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: New league to challenge the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah exactly, maybe if I lived in my hometown where I played football it'd be different, but I grew up in Ohio and now live in Virginia, what do I care about local Virginia high school football????
After getting front row seats to seeing Auburn play Florida, LSU, UGA, and Arkansas (granted, Auburn didn't really play in the latter 2), I saw my old team play in the state semi finals over break. Oh my God, it was brutal. And we're talking big time Maryland, Florida, and Penn St recruits. Unless I'm helping out or watching a kid, I don't think I can watch high schoolers play. Granted, I saw the Wake Forest/UMD game and it wasn't much better, but I digress.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
The trick is to scout a team you know is good and find a freshman or two who might be special and befriend them. Once they get big and get recruited and go off to college and later the NFL you'll be rolling in money.
Well one big one that comes to mind is Brady Quinn, he went to Dublin Coffman High School in Dublin, Ohio when I lived quite literally a mile down the road from the school. I guess in hindsight I should have gone and see him play as my roommate often did. But really, what are the odds of duplicating that..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #43
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister8578
1) Allow 15% of the rosters to be students fresh out of high school or something like that. Pay them an average of 50k a year and I bet a lot of the economically challenged of the Top 100 would come out. Give them the ability to get insurance coverage similar to the ones top college athletes get and you would have a basis for talent.
While I think something like that would work, I hope they never do it. Something like that would hurt college football.

I still think something like this could work. What I would do, is adopt most of the NFL's current rules, but I wouldn't try to make it some gimmicky-league. No XFL stuff. No AFL stuff. I think they should make it real football. What I wouldn't do, is add rules that slow the game down. Coaches challenge, and slowing down the game for instant replay. They should just either throw out instant replay all together, or have people watching the replays the whole game so it doesn't slow anything down.

The season should start in November or December. The CFL will be over, the college football season will be coming to a close (besides the bowl games), and the NFL will be nearing the playoffs. That way, NFL cuts, undrafted free-agents, would have a place to go if they don't make an NFL team for that season. They could of been with this new league, since the first week of September, with the team getting ready for the season.

Example:

Exhibition starts first week of November. Play two pre-season games in in three weeks, and then the regular season would start around Thanksgiving. (Is there a better time for football?) The regular season could go until, middle of March, and have the playoffs finish right before Opening Day of the MLB season.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
While I think something like that would work, I hope they never do it. Something like that would hurt college football.
If you limited it to non-qualifiers it could work. I mean, there's a chance that kids would start failing on purpose, but not for $50,000.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:33 AM   #45
MVP

rocker78's Arena

OVR: 12

this could possibly work, but i think that they should have the games on thursday or wedsday nigts rather then friday.
mlb- boston redsox
nhl- carolina hurricanes
ncaa- east carolina pirates
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

The new league can succeed if they are able to get guys who have good upside and don't want to sit on the bench getting the league min. There are plenty of guys who go 4th round and later who have a great rookie year, but they are stuck in their rookie contract for 3-4 years. If they go to the new league, get paid more for 1 year, play great, they could get big contracts.

They really shouldn't try to compete with the NFL, but join with them as a minor league system. Give teams 5-10 players extra that they can send there and the rest would be FAs. That way players on the practice squad and backups could get playing experience.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 AM   #47
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I'm sure this will succeed just because it doesn't have Vince McMahon's name attached with it.

Stupid.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:21 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 2

A fall schedule would never work, it would have to be in the spring to even have a chance. USFL was doing ok until they ******ly voted to move to a fall schedule which i think was started by Donald Trump.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »