Home

MONK is a SEMI-FINALIST!!! Let's hope he makes it!

This is a discussion on MONK is a SEMI-FINALIST!!! Let's hope he makes it! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
MVP

plasticbeast's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: MONK is a SEMI-FINALIST!!! Let's hope he makes it!

IMO a WR that can put up the #'s that Monk did in a Joe Gibbs offense, with different QB's every few years deserves to be in the Hall. He was an amazing down field blocker also, arguably the best at the WR position. AND the MOST important part not only was he good, he was a true Role Model: Quiet, reserved, he let his actions on the field speak for him. A Great Human Being! Too bad it seems like we have less and less of these types of players in the league now.

Of course I am a little biased...

OSFL
: Lake County Extreme- 2010 OSFL Champs
NCFA: WVU Mountaineers- As long as we beat Pitt...
BLB: Morgantown Mowhawks- Expansion Team
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Monk was a very good player, but that isn't what the HoF is about. The Hall is for the truly great.

Monk averaged 13.5 yds/catch for his career. Of the 18 wr's from the modern era (a majority of a members' career occurred after 1946) enshrined in Canton, only one (Tom Fears, Rams 1948-56) averaged less than 14 yards per catch. The average yds/catch for those 18 players is 16.42, almost three full yards more than Monk's career avg.

Monk played in more games (224) than all but two of the HoF wr's, and yet nine of those players had more career td's. Steve Largent, who many consider to be the greatest possession receiver of all-time and whose record for receptions Monk broke, averaged 16 yds/catch (2.5 yds more than AM). Largent also scored more td's than Monk (100 to 68), despite playing in 24 fewer games.

Monk was a terrific possession receiver and from all accounts is a genuinely good person, but he just was not a great wide receiver. For that reason I believe he will remain on the outside looking in.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong7777
Art Monk deserves to be in. PERIOD

But isn't it true that Art Monk was never the best, the 2nd best, the 3rd best, or even the 4th best receiver in the NFL in any single year during his long career? He had good stats, and was always considered a very good WR... but he never came close to being the best at any one time.

If fact, in many years he wasn't even the best receiver on his own team.

I just don't think Art Monk deserves the Hall of Fame. Players enshrined in the Hall should be the ones who were considered among the best at some point in their career. Art Monk doesn't fit the criteria. He was just very good for a very long time.

Merge Art Monk (extended longevity) and Terrell Davis (short-term greatness) together, and you have the perfect candidate. Individually, neither guy deserves to be in Canton.

Even though it'd be heart warming to see nice guys like Art Monk and Terrell Davis rewarded with a place in Canton, I don't think it's right. You have to draw the line somewhere, or else the Pro Football Hall of Fame becomes cheap and meaningless. Like Baseball Hall of Fame, where everyone and their grandmother gets enshrined.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 3

Ummm, the Seahawks had no other reliable receivers to throw to during the Largent era. Art Monk played with Gary Clark and for a short time Ricky Sanders. One of the greatest trios of receivers ever. There's no doubt in my mind Art would have had Largentesque numbers if he would've remained the only "real" option.

Don't get me wrong, I realize what Largent accomplished. But, to not recognize Art Monk as one of the greatest because of meaningless stats is just pitiful. Yards per catch don't mean much if you lose games.

It's silly to argue stats such as these because he MADE hundreds of CLUTCH catches that set up Redskins TD's by other players. For a team game I'd say that's rather important.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Monk was a very good player, but that isn't what the HoF is about. The Hall is for the truly great.
Monk is the 80s version of Marvin Harrison so if you think Harrison is a HOFer you have to think Monk is one too. I hope he gets in, the guy had most of the significant WR records when he retired until Jerry Rice blew them away.

BTW nice to see my boy Andre Reed make the Semis as well.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Monk is the 80s version of Marvin Harrison so if you think Harrison is a HOFer you have to think Monk is one too. I hope he gets in, the guy had most of the significant WR records when he retired until Jerry Rice blew them away.

BTW nice to see my boy Andre Reed make the Semis as well.
I don't know much about Monk because he was mostly before my time, but from what I've read he was never considered one of the top three or four receivers in the league. Harrison has been/was a top three receiver for a long time.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon13
I don't know much about Monk because he was mostly before my time, but from what I've read he was never considered one of the top three or four receivers in the league. Harrison has been/was a top three receiver for a long time.
He's the Marvin Harrison of the 80s in terms of talent. The thing is, he was part of a very balanced offense that didn't revolve around him. He never complained about the number of balls thrown to him and while he was never regarded as one of the best receivers of his era at the time he was one of the more dependable ones.

He's a HOF'er in my book.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by platic
But isn't it true that Art Monk was never the best, the 2nd best, the 3rd best, or even the 4th best receiver in the NFL in any single year during his long career? He had good stats, and was always considered a very good WR... but he never came close to being the best at any one time.

If fact, in many years he wasn't even the best receiver on his own team.

I just don't think Art Monk deserves the Hall of Fame. Players enshrined in the Hall should be the ones who were considered among the best at some point in their career. Art Monk doesn't fit the criteria. He was just very good for a very long time.

Merge Art Monk (extended longevity) and Terrell Davis (short-term greatness) together, and you have the perfect candidate. Individually, neither guy deserves to be in Canton.

Even though it'd be heart warming to see nice guys like Art Monk and Terrell Davis rewarded with a place in Canton, I don't think it's right. You have to draw the line somewhere, or else the Pro Football Hall of Fame becomes cheap and meaningless. Like Baseball Hall of Fame, where everyone and their grandmother gets enshrined.
Terrell Davis deserves to be in the hall of fame.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »