Home

MONK is a SEMI-FINALIST!!! Let's hope he makes it!

This is a discussion on MONK is a SEMI-FINALIST!!! Let's hope he makes it! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #17
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: MONK is a SEMI-FINALIST!!! Let's hope he makes it!

It is funny that everyone thinks Monk should be in, when Andre Reed played the same amount of years, had more receptions, yards, and 20 more touchdowns. (And was a 4th round pick, not 1st!)

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
He's the Marvin Harrison of the 80s in terms of talent. The thing is, he was part of a very balanced offense that didn't revolve around him. He never complained about the number of balls thrown to him and while he was never regarded as one of the best receivers of his era at the time he was one of the more dependable ones.

He's a HOF'er in my book.
That is just insulting to Harrison. Monk was a good player who had great numbers, but he just isn't an all-timer. I can see why people think he should be in the HOF given the NFL's rather liberal policy of putting people into HOF (read they put too many in each year), but when compared to some of the all time great receivers Monk just isn't there. This also isn't the Lynn Swann case where is body of work made up for other deficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
Terrell Davis deserves to be in the hall of fame.
I agree he should get in under the Gale Sayers' rule of HOF induction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginns
It is funny that everyone thinks Monk should be in, when Andre Reed played the same amount of years, had more receptions, yards, and 20 more touchdowns. (And was a 4th round pick, not 1st!)
I don't know that Reed is any different to Monk. I would say if Monk gets in, Reed should too and vice versa. But overall I see him as good but not truly elite. Maybe it is just me, and the NFL obviously doesn't take this approach, but the HOF should be for the best of the best. Not the very good, but the elite. To me both Reed and Monk are just short of being elite.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #19
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
I don't know that Reed is any different to Monk. I would say if Monk gets in, Reed should too and vice versa. But overall I see him as good but not truly elite. Maybe it is just me, and the NFL obviously doesn't take this approach, but the HOF should be for the best of the best. Not the very good, but the elite. To me both Reed and Monk are just short of being elite.
I guess fifth all time in receptions, 7th in yardage, and seven consecutive Pro Bowls isn't elite

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 11-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #20
Banned

Only if you want to completely disregard the way the game changed to pad statistics for receivers the past 20-25 years.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #21
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

Quote:
Only if you want to completely disregard the way the game changed to pad statistics for receivers the past 20-25 years.
There really isn't any precedent for that. Michael Irvin got in with worse stats than both Reed or Monk.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #22
Banned

And stats aren't the be all and end all of football talent. Football stats, more so than any other sport are more derivative of the offensive scheme of the team they play for than it is necessarily their own talent or greatness. Irvin also had superior talent around him taking away a lot of his touches than Monk or Reed did.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #23
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

Quote:
And stats aren't the be all and end all of football talent. Football stats, more so than any other sport are more derivative of the offensive scheme of the team they play for than it is necessarily their own talent or greatness. Irvin also had superior talent around him taking away a lot of his touches than Monk or Reed did.
That is your opinion, that is great. I happen to disagree. Pro Bowl voters disagreed too.. 7 times... 2 more times than for Mr. Irvin

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginns
That is your opinion, that is great. I happen to disagree. Pro Bowl voters disagreed too.. 7 times... 2 more times than for Mr. Irvin
The Pro Bowl is a joke, that's the thing. That too is different from every other sport where the All Star game actually means something to the players. The NFL is the only sport where players turn down invites, you never see this in MLB, the NBA, or the NHL. Which is sort of funny if you think about it, as the NFL Pro Bowl is after the season and gives you a free trip to Hawaii (not that the cost matters but still, it's free). Whereas the other sports All Star games come around midseason when the players could use the rest.

And obviously the HOF Voters agree with me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »