Home

Eli to Tyree-Greatest Superbowl Play Ever?

This is a discussion on Eli to Tyree-Greatest Superbowl Play Ever? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #25
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Eli to Tyree-Greatest Superbowl Play Ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
Yup. SB came down to that play. Doesn't get much better than that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
It was a great play. Greatest ever?

There are about 3 Lynn Swann catches that could probably make that claim.
The Marcus Allen run
Even though they lost, the Thurman Thomas runs at the end of the SB they lost to the Giants.
The Mark Ingram 3rd and 13 vs. the Bills
Riggins vs. Dolphins run
The one handed Jerry Rice play vs. the Bengals on the GW drive.

So many great SB plays, hard to say which one is the greatest. I tend to go with the Swann juggling catch vs. Dallas myself. Or the Swann sideline catch where his body was out of bounds yet he still had body control to keep his feet in.
As you said, you can make a claim for any of those plays, but I think last night's play is the tops given all the circumstances and the fact that it was a "double-wow" play.
  • You're the Giants, the huge underdog trying to end the mighty Patriot's run at perfection.
  • Eli Manning, probably the most criticized NY athlete in recent memory by the media and fans, is having an amazing playoff run and has a chance to crush the Pats' dream season. Giant fans are starting to believe in him, but no one knows if he can actually do THIS.
  • The Pats have just scored their typical come-from-behind TD to put all the pressure on the Giants' offense.
  • The Giants' drive is not going all that well and they already needed a 4th-n-1 conversion to stay alive. The offense does not look crisp and the Pats D looks to be stepping it up again in crunch time like they had so many times in the past.
Then the actual play...

The first "WOW!": you have the not-so-nimble Eli Manning some how escaping the grasp of the Patriot defensive line that looked like a sure-fire sack, wiggling free, setting his feet and letting one fly down field. (When I first saw him look down-field and throw it I figured someone was wide open because the Patriot secondary had given up on the play because they thought Eli was sacked.)

The second "WOW!": But Tyree isn't open at all, you see Tyree in the midst of four Patriot defenders, and he kinda catches it, kinda loses it, then pins it against his helmet and somehow manages to maintain control and fall to the ground for the reception.

And it's David Tyree who makes the catch. David Tyree.

Quote:
To grasp just how unlikely David Tyree's clutch performance was last night, understand this: He had more receiving yards (43) and touchdowns (one) in Super Bowl XLII than he did in his entire 2007 season.
That gave the Giants all the momentum, field possession and anything else you want to mention. A few plays later it was Eli-to-Burress for the Super Bowl winning TD.

You're going to have a hard time finding a more complete, compelling play than that. I've seen the Swann catches but I don't know the entire story/scenario around those, but I have a hard time believing it was greater than last night's play.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 02-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #27
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
I think you're right, Psy.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #28
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Even funnier Toomer said he had the dropsies all practice long the day before... He couldnt catch anything it is a remarkable play
Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #29
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
As you said, you can make a claim for any of those plays, but I think last night's play is the tops given all the circumstances and the fact that it was a "double-wow" play.
  • You're the Giants, the huge underdog trying to end the mighty Patriot's run at perfection.
  • Eli Manning, probably the most criticized NY athlete in recent memory by the media and fans, is having an amazing playoff run and has a chance to crush the Pats' dream season. Giant fans are starting to believe in him, but no one knows if he can actually do THIS.
  • The Pats have just scored their typical come-from-behind TD to put all the pressure on the Giants' offense.
  • The Giants' drive is not going all that well and they already needed a 4th-n-1 conversion to stay alive. The offense does not look crisp and the Pats D looks to be stepping it up again in crunch time like they had so many times in the past.
Then the actual play...

The first "WOW!": you have the not-so-nimble Eli Manning some how escaping the grasp of the Patriot defensive line that looked like a sure-fire sack, wiggling free, setting his feet and letting one fly down field. (When I first saw him look down-field and throw it I figured someone was wide open because the Patriot secondary had given up on the play because they thought Eli was sacked.)

The second "WOW!": But Tyree isn't open at all, you see Tyree in the midst of four Patriot defenders, and he kinda catches it, kinda loses it, then pins it against his helmet and somehow manages to maintain control and fall to the ground for the reception.

And it's David Tyree who makes the catch. David Tyree.

That gave the Giants all the momentum, field possession and anything else you want to mention. A few plays later it was Eli-to-Burress for the Super Bowl winning TD.

You're going to have a hard time finding a more complete, compelling play than that. I've seen the Swann catches but I don't know the entire story/scenario around those, but I have a hard time believing it was greater than last night's play.
That's a good argument, but in the Rams-Titans game McNair was unstoppable on that last drive. I thought there was no way that the Rams were going to stop him from getting into the endzone that last play....then all of a sudden, Marvin Jones made the tackle. I jumped up like 25 inches in the air when that happened.

Last night's play was incredible though.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #30
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

awesome play.
DEFINITELY in the top 5.

all I know is id put it above the Dyson catch, but below the Elway spin......that was awesome

The Patriots\Panthers SB STILL doesnt get enough love...
Old 02-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #31
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
That's a good argument, but in the Rams-Titans game McNair was unstoppable on that last drive. I thought there was no way that the Rams were going to stop him from getting into the endzone that last play....then all of a sudden, Marvin Jones made the tackle. I jumped up like 25 inches in the air when that happened.

Last night's play was incredible though.
You definitely can't say that last night's play had more drama. The Rams/Titans play was the most dramatic IMO, since the SB rested on that play (well, it would have been tied but whatever) but it was not the "best" play.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #32
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh

You don't happen to be a Giants fan do you?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »