Home

NFL Network: Top 10 things that changed the game

This is a discussion on NFL Network: Top 10 things that changed the game within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #25
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NFL Network: Top 10 things that changed the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I know I hear Lamar Hunt's name come up in that deal a lot more than Schramm.

But yes, we all know it's all about the Cowboys.
Tell that to the NFL

I quoted from his freaking HOF biography
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #26
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9

and fyi, Namath's great victory in the NFL-AFL championship III was AFTER the merger had already been decided.
Actually you can make a great case about Namath forcing the NFL to finally address the AFL as a legit threat. The AFL especially in the last 5 years of its existence was stealing away a LOT of very good talent from the college ranks and from the NFL itself. They were spending tons of money to do it which forced the NFL to raise salaries as well. It got to the point that it became a war of attrition and both sides decided to work together.

Namath was the straw that broke the camel's back in many ways. He became a huge star in the AFL and legitimized the league in a lot of ways. By that point in time the AFL was actually on a pretty even field with the NFL.

Also the merger wasn't quite set in stone as you make it out to be. There were a LOT of talk between NFL owners of reneging on the deal if the Jets were to lose to Baltimore in convincing fashion like the Raiders and Chiefs did. So in many ways Namath leading the Jets to victory validated the league and the notion of a merger.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
Tell that to the NFL

I quoted from his freaking HOF biography
Funny part is, Lamar Hunt is named in his, but he isn't in Hunt's.

Okay, maybe it's not that funny, but I think it is.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #28
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
i quoted from his freaking HOF biography

ridiculous
Great. I always thought Lamar Hunt was the main cog and the main pioneer. Good to know he was just along for the ride. Riding on the Tex and the Cowboys coat tails. Good to know.

We all get it, all things Cowboy are the best ever and the league is awesome because of them. Feel free to throw in more Cowboy propaganda.

Tex Schramm should be on the list, but the best LB in the game who revolutionized the way modern defense and pass protection is played, was a head scratcher to you.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #29
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
Funny part is, Lamar Hunt is named in his, but he isn't in Hunt's.

Okay, maybe it's not that funny, but I think it is.
BLASPHEMY!!!!

Lamar Hunt has Tex and the Cowboys organization to thank for his success. Lamar was merely a hanger on.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #30
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Great. I always thought Lamar Hunt was the main cog and the main pioneer. Good to know he was just along for the ride. Riding on the Tex and the Cowboys coat tails. Good to know.

We all get it, all things Cowboy are the best ever and the league is awesome because of them. Feel free to throw in more Cowboy propaganda.
who the **** said he was along for the ride? Do you have any sort of reading comprehension whatsoever? Seriously, do you even read the posts before you respond?

I stated Lamar Hunt (AFL) and Tex Schramm (NFL) were the main league leaders in the merger, and by all historical accounts they were.

Google AFL-NFL merger and see what comes up. (but then, that might require some reading comprehension, so that might be a bad idea)

Quote:
Tex Schramm should be on the list,
gee ya think? He was one of the key people behind many of things that were on the list.

Quote:
but the best LB in the game who revolutionized the way modern defense and pass protection is played, was a head scratcher to you.
again, reading comprehension man...I stated that i can understand why LT would be considered a revolutionary game changer.

All i said is that im not sure how he could be considered more of a game changer than some other players...including Sammy Baugh who was the first NFL QB to utilize the forward pass.

Last edited by ZB9; 05-16-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #31
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
who the **** said he was along for the ride? Do you have any sort of reading comprehension whatsoever? Seriously, do you even read the posts before you respond?

I stated Lamar Hunt (AFL) and Tex Schramm (NFL) were the main league leaders in the merger, and by all historical accounts they were.

Google AFL-NFL merger and see what comes up. (but then, that might require some reading comprehension, so that might be a bad idea)

gee ya think? He was one of the key people behind many of things that were on the list.

again, reading comprehension man...I stated that i can understand why LT would be considered a revolutionary game changer.

All i said is that im not sure how he could be considered more of a game changer than some other players...including Sammy Baugh who was the first NFL QB to utilize the forward pass.
Man I forgot how outraged you get at anyone questioning the greatness of all things Cowboy. Good stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #32
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
What about Vince Lombardi?

You guys thought he shoulda at least got an honorable mention?
Probably an honorable mention for sure just for the simple fact that the SB trophy is named after him, then again if he had lost to KC it would probably known as the Hank Stram Trophy. He was iconic and I think the fact that he more or less resurrected one of the very first NFL franchises and turned them into winners gave him a lot of prestige.

As an Xs and Os man I don't think he did anything TOO revolutionary. A lot of his offense centered around a short passing game and sweeps. As a motivator though, he was probably the first of the truly hard arse coaches who controlled everything a la a Bill Parcells.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »