Home

AFC Playoff Teams

This is a discussion on AFC Playoff Teams within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #41
Legend in the making...

CallMeDrop's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: AFC Playoff Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Oh, well I guess we should let everyone in the AFC South know the results have already been predetermined then, seems pointless to play the season now.....

And as for the Browns D, it has improved as a result of this offseason as much as the Titans offense has improved as a result of this offseason, i.e., unknown. Could be a lot, could be little, could be mysteriously worse off.

And how have the Jags offense improved "tremendously"? Porter? Williamson? Or does Freddie T actually get better as he gets older?

LMAO! Good one! As far as Browns go, Great O, above fair D = better than Titans. You know that the Jags were already a VERY good team before free agency and the draft. Porter and Williamson to go with Northcutt and the best running back tandem in the NFL.
I'm not even a Jags or a Browns fan but c'mon both of those teams are better that the Titans...You guys will be fighting with the Texans for third place in the South.

But you're suppose to believe in your squad....problem is, nobody else does...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #42
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropseven
LMAO! Good one! As far as Browns go, Great O, above fair D = better than Titans. You know that the Jags were already a VERY good team before free agency and the draft. Porter and Williamson to go with Northcutt and the best running back tandem in the NFL.
I'm not even a Jags or a Browns fan but c'mon both of those teams are better that the Titans...You guys will be fighting with the Texans for third place in the South.

But you're suppose to believe in your squad....problem is, nobody else does...
The "better team" on paper doesn't always win on Sunday. The Titans D, as I said, could be the #1 this season after being the #5 last, and that could go a long way. I like your lack of hesitation in predictions, almost like it really is a certainty in your mind despite the array of variables that face any NFL season, but they are just that - predictions - and ultimately it isn't as simple as that formula suggests. Maybe in Madden, but not the NFL. A great D will allow any team to be in almost any game. A great O will, at best, guarantee some flashy plays but maybe not a winning chance in the dieing moments of a game.

The Jags may be a "VERY good team", but as my stats prove, they haven't performed much better in the W-L column than the Titans in the past 2 seasons - 1 game separates them, that's it. As for Porter, Williamson and Northcutt, sorry but they are not big name offensive players at all. One is a borderline solid WR, the other two are single dimensional cast offs with suspect hands. I'd consider Crumpler a better offensive signing than Porter.

BTW, I'm not saying the Titans are certain to come out and dominate, I'm just wondering where the logic is. The Titans are this offseason's sexy bad pick without a doubt. The best I've seen them finish in the division predictions both amateur and "expert" is 3rd, with most predictions providing records suggesting a significant step backwards, and this is for a young fresh playoff team seemingly on the rise. It goes against almost all other similar teams I've seen in prediction history. It's almost like the Titans are being penalized for lacking offensive star power, and for making the playoffs and not making a statement, where as the Browns with their offensive star power and their "awww they were so close to making it" powered momentum get all this respect, when those things alone don't win football games.

Last edited by Nza; 07-30-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
There's only one team in the AFC that matters.

Sig.
Jacksonville will find a way to screw it up again. They never do anything in the playoffs. But with that said, the Jags will win 9 games, Titans will win 10 and the Colts will win13.

Last edited by ifiok25; 07-30-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #44
Legend in the making...

CallMeDrop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
The "better team" on paper doesn't always win on Sunday. The Titans D, as I said, could be the #1 this season after being the #5 last, and that could go a long way. I like your lack of hesitation in predictions, almost like it really is a certainty in your mind despite the array of variables that face any NFL season, but they are just that - predictions - and ultimately it isn't as simple as that formula suggests. Maybe in Madden, but not the NFL. A great D will allow any team to be in almost any game. A great O will, at best, guarantee some flashy plays but maybe not a winning chance in the dieing moments of a game.

The Jags may be a "VERY good team", but as my stats prove, they haven't performed much better in the W-L column than the Titans in the past 2 seasons - 1 game separates them, that's it. As for Porter, Williamson and Northcutt, sorry but they are not big name offensive players at all. One is a borderline solid WR, the other two are single dimensional cast offs with suspect hands. I'd consider Crumpler a better offensive signing than Porter.

Ok man, you got it...Titans are the best...lol, It's good that the Titans are one game behind the Jags and all, but stats and records aside...the Titans have placed third in the division the last two years right? Predictions aside, realistically the Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Chargers will probably win their divisions again and that leaves 2 wild card spots. Jags will probably get one of them...after that, on paper it's looking the Jets, Browns, Titans, Bengals, Broncos and Ravens for that last spot. Do you think the Titans overall will be better than all the teams listed? Their defense is great, but Vince still has to learn how to be an accurate QB and keep the turnovers down. Lendale White played well and Chris Johnson will give them a good 1, 2 punch but you're right...we'll see on Sundays. Last year, the reason that the Titans made the playoffs was because the Browns folded, lost a game and gave the Titans tiebreaker. You both had the same record. We'll see how it turns out though. Always great to see someone passionate about their team. I'm in the same spot as you really, I'm a Skins fan.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #45
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Ok man, you got it...Titans are the best...lol, It's good that the Titans are one game behind the Jags and all, but stats and records aside...the Titans have placed third in the division the last two years right? Predictions aside, realistically the Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Chargers will probably win their divisions again and that leaves 2 wild card spots. Jags will probably get one of them...after that, on paper it's looking the Jets, Browns, Titans, Bengals, Broncos and Ravens for that last spot. Do you think the Titans overall will be better than all the teams listed? Their defense is great, but Vince still has to learn how to be an accurate QB and keep the turnovers down. Lendale White played well and Chris Johnson will give them a good 1, 2 punch but you're right...we'll see on Sundays. Last year, the reason that the Titans made the playoffs was because the Browns folded, lost a game and gave the Titans tiebreaker. You both had the same record. We'll see how it turns out though. Always great to see someone passionate about their team. I'm in the same spot as you really, I'm a Skins fan.
As I updated my post to say, I'm just looking for a bit of consistency in the logic. I've seen mass predictions around the place of the Titans going 5-11 to 7-9, and I can never understand why. "They were lucky, had a fluke season" I usually hear - "just like in 06" I reply. Maybe the run first, hard nosed D system is just working for winning games, and is set to improve with experience and development? But no, because they won't have a 4000y passer and because they don't have wide receivers of note, it's only backwards, like the team got worse somehow. What makes a "good" football team anyway? winning, I thought, but at this time of year, it always seems to be how you win that matters.

It starts off with comments like the South is too tough for the Titans, but they've actually been the 2nd best performer in the division lately. Maybe I'm extra sensitive, but there just seems to be a real lack of respect for Titans as a good football team. I'm looking at a thread now on another forum asking users to vote for the pre-preseason rankings, where a poll is made for each position 32 all the way to 1, and right now the Titans have made an appearance in the mid 20's for people to vote for, and are tieing with the Texans. Not close to the lead at the moment, but still. When was the last time the Texans even beat the Titans? It doesn't mean 08 will be the same, but if you can't take some logic into predictions, what are you using? And whatever it is, how does one team seem to consistently lack it across analysts both "expert" and not so comprehensively like the Titans seem to this offseason, after improving the season prior and making the playoffs? It seems a little 'sheep' like to me honestly.

Last edited by Nza; 07-30-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #46
Legend in the making...

CallMeDrop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
As I updated my post to say, I'm just looking for a bit of consistency in the logic. I've seen mass predictions around the place of the Titans going 5-11 to 7-9, and I can never understand why. "They were lucky, had a fluke season" I usually hear - "just like in 06" I reply. Maybe the run first, hard nosed D system is just working for winning games, and is set to improve with experience and development? But no, because they won't have a 4000y passer and because they don't have wide receivers of note, it's only backwards, like the team got worse somehow. What makes a "good" football team anyway? winning, I thought, but at this time of year, it always seems to be how you win that matters.

It starts off with comments like the South is too tough for the Titans, but they've actually been the 2nd best performer in the division lately. Maybe I'm extra sensitive, but there just seems to be a real lack of respect for Titans as a good football team. I'm looking at a thread now on another forum asking users to vote for the pre-preseason rankings, where a poll is made for each position 32 all the way to 1, and right now the Titans have made an appearance in the mid 20's for people to vote for, and are tieing with the Texans. Not close to the lead at the moment, but still. When was the last time the Texans even beat the Titans? It doesn't mean 08 will be the same, but if you can't take some logic into predictions, what are you using? And whatever it is, how does one team seem to consistently lack it across analysts both "expert" and not so comprehensively like the Titans seem to this offseason, after improving the season prior and making the playoffs? It seems a little 'sheep' like to me honestly.
No, you're right. I use logic in my discussions...I think the Titans are a good team but IMO they're not better than the Browns for this year...and since they'll be basically fighting for wild card spots I put the Jags and Browns ahead..
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #47
Nza
MVP

Quote:
No, you're right. I use logic in my discussions...I think the Titans are a good team but IMO they're not better than the Browns for this year...and since they'll be basically fighting for wild card spots I put the Jags and Browns ahead..
Fair enough, I never had any issue with the Jags and Browns being the WC prediction (even though it is slightly predictable, as the playoffs tend to differ significantly year to year), I was just questioning some of the reasons for it, but my main point is against the impression the Titans are battling for 3rd/4th in the South. I think they're in the least battling with Jacksonville for 2nd while fending off the Texans, like last season. But then so were the Jags for a while there. It's just this attitude the Titans can't even compete with Jax that irks me. Hell, if the Titans could rack up more regular wins, they can compete with Indy as proven convincingly IMO, relative to how almost every other team struggles against Indy. It's just Indy has so far been untouchable with outside division wins keeping their place at the top safe.

Last edited by Nza; 07-30-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #48
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

Hmmm like I said going 8-8 with a back up Qb, Rb, WR mean we will go to the Playoffs this year

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »