Home

Steelers @ Titans: The Brawl for it All

This is a discussion on Steelers @ Titans: The Brawl for it All within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Steelers @ Titans: The Brawl for it All

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
What exactly did they do? And are you suggesting that it's the norm for ravens fans to do whatever it is you're talking about? Sounds like something you might find at any stadium from the way you described it.

History and meaning aside, steelers fans travel and literally wave those things in the face of anyone they can find. That has nothing do with the history of the towel or where the proceeds go. I don't see why the fans should stop waving them either, but it's definitely not above a player stomping on one. If one act is disrespectful then so is the other.
There were a group of Raven fans (5-6?) who started plowing through fans as the crowd was leaving the stadium. As everyone knows, it's close knit quarters and you have to be patient to get out of any stadium. These guys didn't want to be patient so they literally ran over people while throwing elbows, knees and yelling obscenities and deragatory comments to people to get down the ramps (men, women and children were exposed to it). I was as the top of one ramp and they were in the middle so I saw it quite well. They ran into the wrong group and were promptly pummeled and bloodied before being dragged/carried over to security on the way out. Security isn't in the ramps (bad idea) so people can get away with just about anything until they get to the bottom level. I've been to many games and this is the worst physical incident I've seen. No, I think this happens other places and isn't limited to Raven fans. I just pointed this out as it was pretty bad.

I don't think it's right for fans to wave them in someone's face, but I also don't think it's right for a player to rub the towel into the dirt. I've never seen Steeler fans do that, but I also haven't been to opposing stadiums where I'm sure it's most prevalent. The way I see it, if a player does that, they get what they got coming to them. It's like when TO stood on the star in Dallas and got leveled. If these two teams meet again and Lendale gets leveled at any point, so be it. Hey, the last player to rub the towel into the dirt was TJ Houshmanzadeh. Hasn't worked out real well for him or the Bengals. The towel has powers beyond human comprehension.

With that said, I don't think the Steelers travel as much as people think. I think they're Pittsburghers who relocated due to the poor economy in Pittsburgh due to the retreads in the inner-city who don't know who to vote for outside of a letter at the end of someone's name. The city is bankrupt and one party is the problem IMO (and is why I live 1 county north of the city where the other party has stronger ties). I won't go any further into this as it will cross the TOS. Back to my point. I think most of those transplanted fans at opposing teams stadiums get a bit too excited when their favorite team comes to town every year or every few years and might act inappropriately. That doesn't make it right though. Like I said, I don't think either the fans or players are correct in those examples. I do think a fan should be allowed to wave it at opposing stadiums as long as said fan isn't doing it in someone's face or disrupting the play on the field.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #50
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
There were a group of Raven fans (5-6?) who started plowing through fans as the crowd was leaving the stadium. As everyone knows, it's close knit quarters and you have to be patient to get out of any stadium. These guys didn't want to be patient so they literally ran over people while throwing elbows, knees and yelling obscenities and deragatory comments to people to get down the ramps (men, women and children were exposed to it). I was as the top of one ramp and they were in the middle so I saw it quite well. They ran into the wrong group and were promptly pummeled and bloodied before being dragged/carried over to security on the way out. Security isn't in the ramps (bad idea) so people can get away with just about anything until they get to the bottom level. I've been to many games and this is the worst physical incident I've seen. No, I think this happens other places and isn't limited to Raven fans. I just pointed this out as it was pretty bad.

I don't think it's right for fans to wave them in someone's face, but I also don't think it's right for a player to rub the towel into the dirt. I've never seen Steeler fans do that, but I also haven't been to opposing stadiums where I'm sure it's most prevalent. The way I see it, if a player does that, they get what they got coming to them. It's like when TO stood on the star in Dallas and got leveled. If these two teams meet again and Lendale gets leveled at any point, so be it. Hey, the last player to rub the towel into the dirt was TJ Houshmanzadeh. Hasn't worked out real well for him or the Bengals. The towel has powers beyond human comprehension.

With that said, I don't think the Steelers travel as much as people think. I think they're Pittsburghers who relocated due to the poor economy in Pittsburgh due to the retreads in the inner-city who don't know who to vote for outside of a letter at the end of someone's name. The city is bankrupt and one party is the problem IMO (and is why I live 1 county north of the city where the other party has stronger ties). I won't go any further into this as it will cross the TOS. Back to my point. I think most of those transplanted fans at opposing teams stadiums get a bit too excited when their favorite team comes to town every year or every few years and might act inappropriately. That doesn't make it right though. Like I said, I don't think either the fans or players are correct in those examples. I do think a fan should be allowed to wave it at opposing stadiums as long as said fan isn't doing it in someone's face or disrupting the play on the field.
That is pretty bad... I'm glad those guys got their a**es kicked.

My feelings are the same as yours... I don't think obnoxious fans should celebrate that way and I don't think players should stomp on the towel. I don't really care either way though, just saying steeler fans shouldn't be up in arms about the towel being stomped b/c the chicken (obnoxious steeler fans in every stadium) came before the egg (White stomping the towel).

I agree with you on the fans being all over the country too. I shouldn't have said travel well, b/c that's not accurate. They just happen to be everywhere and it's very noticeable b/c of the towels. It's a great advantage for the team and I'm sure bothers a lot of players... more reason to stomp on the towel. But like TO, I wouldn't have had a problem if somebody popped White when he was doing it either.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #51
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

LenDale White is a bit of a punk sometimes, but considering the 12-2 Titans were almost across-the-board expected to lose this game to the media appointed #1 team in the 11-3 Steelers, and they handle them soundly without their 2 best players on the entire team, well I guess sending a message at the end is tempting. I don't think it was so much directed at the Steelers, but rather the media and the NFL in general. As Bulluck said, he meant no disrespect, he just wants everyone to know the Titans are going to "stomp" anyone who comes through.

And the fact is, when you come to someone else's house with a gimmick as easy to make fun of as a towel regardless of its history and iconic status, waving it around akin to planting a flag down on a territory to claim it as your own, don't cry foul when the owners of the land take the flag and throw it in the dirt when you get badly beaten. No, it wasn't very classy and it's great the TT has proceeds going to charity etc, but that really wasn't relevant at that point. It was a football game and an act against an intruding object by a team playing with a chip on its shoulder, nothing more.

BTW, I love it how some of the media are up in arms over this. Dilfer more or less said the Titans don't know how to win with class and that will be their downfall this postseason. This is from a Ravens player. LOL. I cbf'd linking to the video on YouTube, but I kinda recall the Ravens players, after defeating the Titans in the playoffs, gathering around in the lockerroom and joining coach Billick in a nice "F*CK THE TITANS" chant. Yeah, that's a classy winner right there. I couldn't care less myself and I imagine stuff like this is common, but Trent must have been hit too many times if he thinks you need to be a classy winner to go all the way. The Ravens were nasty hard hitting trash talkers who'd happily rub a win in during their Superbowl run.

Oh and on the Ravens, this is one downfall being the #1 seed - there's a good chance they will be coming into Tennessee first up, which is probably the last AFC team I want to see the Titans take first up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #52
MVP

wayne23's Arena

OVR: 14

Wow..

Old 12-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #53
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

It's a piece of cloth. Good lord.

It's as if LenDale stole money from the charity fund or something.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
It's a piece of cloth. Good lord.

It's as if LenDale stole money from the charity fund or something.
I'm sure you weren't too happy when TO celebrated on the Dallas star. Same thing.

I know you hate the Steelers though so I'm sure you enjoyed Lendale's antics...

Last edited by mjb2124; 12-22-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #55
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
LenDale White is a bit of a punk sometimes, but considering the 12-2 Titans were almost across-the-board expected to lose this game to the media appointed #1 team in the 11-3 Steelers, and they handle them soundly without their 2 best players on the entire team, well I guess sending a message at the end is tempting. I don't think it was so much directed at the Steelers, but rather the media and the NFL in general. As Bulluck said, he meant no disrespect, he just wants everyone to know the Titans are going to "stomp" anyone who comes through.

And the fact is, when you come to someone else's house with a gimmick as easy to make fun of as a towel regardless of its history and iconic status, waving it around akin to planting a flag down on a territory to claim it as your own, don't cry foul when the owners of the land take the flag and throw it in the dirt when you get badly beaten. No, it wasn't very classy and it's great the TT has proceeds going to charity etc, but that really wasn't relevant at that point. It was a football game and an act against an intruding object by a team playing with a chip on its shoulder, nothing more.

BTW, I love it how some of the media are up in arms over this. Dilfer more or less said the Titans don't know how to win with class and that will be their downfall this postseason. This is from a Ravens player. LOL. I cbf'd linking to the video on YouTube, but I kinda recall the Ravens players, after defeating the Titans in the playoffs, gathering around in the lockerroom and joining coach Billick in a nice "F*CK THE TITANS" chant. Yeah, that's a classy winner right there. I couldn't care less myself and I imagine stuff like this is common, but Trent must have been hit too many times if he thinks you need to be a classy winner to go all the way. The Ravens were nasty hard hitting trash talkers who'd happily rub a win in during their Superbowl run.

Oh and on the Ravens, this is one downfall being the #1 seed - there's a good chance they will be coming into Tennessee first up, which is probably the last AFC team I want to see the Titans take first up.
I agree with you for the most part, but there is one thing you left out. The Steelers are a really, really good and physical team, and tons of Steelers fans are everywhere. Some say "bulletin board material" is a myth, but it's not something I'd want my team to challenge. No reason to give ammo when there's a strong chance you'll see them again.

As for the Ravens, I can't lie, I'm glad the Titans won and hope we get the chance to play again. It's not even that I think they're a better team than the Steelers... they're both great teams. But I have more faith in our defense confusing the Titans for an entire game than the Steelers who we bump heads with year in and out and already twice this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #56
Treble Complete

billmatic's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne23
Wow..

I guess I missed it yesterday. That's hilarious.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »