Home

Steelers @ Titans: The Brawl for it All

This is a discussion on Steelers @ Titans: The Brawl for it All within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 19
Re: Steelers @ Titans: The Brawl for it All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
Wow? it's a towel.
b....but, it's a terrible towel.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #66
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
The only reason I say 2000-01 is because the Titans have the #1 seed again. I'll take the 2003 outcome though :P

And yes, it sucks the Titans were split from the Ravens and Steelers. The AFC South is a youngish division franchise wise so in time it may improve, but it's fairly lousy for rivalries or anything like that. Although, I do take pride knowing everyone's biggest rival in the division is the Titans Well, basically anyway. Jags since 99, Texans since the Houston connection and (hopefully soon) VY killing them each time, and if the Colts had a rival in the division which they sorta don't, it would have to be the Titans as well.

Still though, the old AFC Central was starting to become special rivalry wise just before the realignment. Ravens v Titans twice a year would be pretty intense.
It was. So was the Titans vs Steelers. I can't remember Titans vs Jacksonville but I don't think it's that strong now and they're still in the same division so I'm guessing it was about the same back then, but with both of their styles, when both teams are good I can see it heating up pretty quickly. I think the TEN vs HOU one is going to get pretty big.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
b....but, it's a terrible towel.
Actually, it was a fake so it was just a yellow towel with writing on it. LenDale needs to talk to Chad Johnson and pay more attention to the details when trash talking.

I do get why non-Steelers fans get a kick out of this though. I would LOVE to see Hines Ward come out of the tunnel doing the Ray Lewis gyration...err...seizure...err...dance? I know that would send some Raven fans through the roof (possibly not on here, but definitely on the Scout Ravens site...of course the combined IQ of that board might qualify for profound ******ation - MENSA isn't going to send out any invites over there).

Last edited by mjb2124; 12-23-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #68
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

FWIW, Fisher and Chris Hope have said they didn't think it was necessary and it was ignorant to the history to the TT.

So there is some "class" on the Titans

I still say though if you're going to bring it into another team's stadium and wave it around the faces of home fans every time Ben doesn't get sacked for a fumble, you should expect retalitation in the event you get sent packing with a loss.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
Actually, it was a fake so it was just a yellow towel with writing on it. LenDale needs to talk to Chad Johnson and pay more attention to the details when trash talking.

I do get why non-Steelers fans get a kick out of this though. I would LOVE to see Hines Ward come out of the tunnel doing the Ray Lewis gyration...err...seizure...err...dance? I know that would send some Raven fans through the roof (possibly not on here, but definitely on the Scout Ravens site...of course the combined IQ of that board might qualify for profound ******ation - MENSA isn't going to send out any invites over there).
I mean, yeah it would be annoying but no more so than a bunch of other things Hines Ward does (smiling after every play, one or two cheap shots a game, etc). However, I don't think it would garner a bunch of posts from people going back and forth discussing how it is unclassy, going as far to state the origins behind it, etc. I just think doing that makes it look that much more ridiculous since White was simply making a symbolic statement showcasing the victor of the game in passing on the sidelines.

I sure if you wanted to analyze it than yeah, I could see how you percieved it as mildly inappropriate but the extent people are taking it to is ridiculous (implying he is disrespecting handicapped children lol). Haven't been to the Scout Raven site, but I would imagine any unregulated team forum makes most fans look idiotic, magnified even much moreso if you enter it as a bitter rival of the team, preset with your own norms and biases. If some random forum and handful of Ravens fans makes you want to generalize the larger fanbase than that's fine, but at least we don't fill the stands of other teams home games waving yellow towels all over the place. That just makes the disproportionately large Steeler fanbase appear that much more annoying, and which is why you are not getting much support in your argument from people who don't bleed black and gold.

Last edited by Adam Dayton; 12-24-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #70
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
I mean, yeah it would be annoying but no more so than a bunch of other things Hines Ward does (smiling after every play, one or two cheap shots a game, etc). However, I don't think it would garner a bunch of posts from people going back and forth discussing how it is unclassy, going as far to state the origins behind it, etc. I just think doing that makes it look that much more ridiculous since White was simply making a symbolic statement showcasing the victor of the game in passing on the sidelines.

I sure if you wanted to analyze it than yeah, I could see how you percieved it as mildly inappropriate but the extent people are taking it to is ridiculous (implying he is disrespecting handicapped children lol). Haven't been to the Scout Raven site, but I would imagine any unregulated team forum makes most fans look idiotic, magnified even much moreso if you enter it as a bitter rival of the team, preset with your own norms and biases. If some random forum and handful of Ravens fans makes you want to generalize the larger fanbase than that's fine, but at least we don't fill the stands of other teams home games waving yellow towels all over the place. That just makes the disproportionately large Steeler fanbase appear that much more annoying, and which is why you are not getting much support in your argument from people who don't bleed black and gold.
I can't hate on Hines for smiling after every play. He's been asked the question before by the media and his reasoning is that he's so lucky to be playing a kid's game and making ridiculous money doing so, how could he not be happy? He's got an excellent point. The rest of us pull in 70-80K or so working our assess off day in and day out for 30-40 years. He should be the one smiling.

Where did someone post that White was disrespecting handicapped children? I don't think anyone stated that or came close to stating that unless I missed that post from another individual. It was stated that one poster didn't know the proceeds went to charity and I mentioned what charity the proceeds went to, but it's quite a far stretch to interpret that as disrespecting handicapped children.

Agree about most team fan sites. I certainly was not generalizing the entire Raven fan base and I think I made that clear in my post. I was only commenting on that individual site. The Scout Steelers site is much the same and is why I only browse those forums and don't post. I'm probably one of the more unbiased fans of any team. I've mentioned many times before that I think the Steelers aren't as good as their record indicates.

It's a good thing to be able to fill opposing stadiums due to a large fan base located nationally. It sure helps the team and there is nothing illegal with fans doing so. If Steeler fans want to wave a yellow towel at a football game not located in Pittsburgh, there shouldn't be a problem doing so (unless it's in the faces of opposing fans or in another disrespectful manner). What's next? Fans for an opposing team can't cheer their team at an opponent's stadium? That doesn't make any sense. I don't need any support nor do I yearn for it as I'm a fully capable and intelligent individual capable of processing my own opinions and thoughts without a need for justification from others. To add to that, I'm positive I'm accurate in my sentiments as well. Based on your quoted post, I think you've misinterpreted or didn't read some of what I've posted above and have come to an erroneous conclusion.

Last edited by mjb2124; 12-24-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #71
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
I can't hate on Hines for smiling after every play. He's been asked the question before by the media and his reasoning is that he's so lucky to be playing a kid's game and making ridiculous money doing so, how could he not be happy? He's got an excellent point. The rest of us pull in 70-80K or so working our assess off day in and day out for 30-40 years. He should be the one smiling.

Where did someone post that White was disrespecting handicapped children? I don't think anyone stated that or came close to stating that unless I missed that post from another individual. It was stated that one poster didn't know the proceeds went to charity and I mentioned what charity the proceeds went to, but it's quite a far stretch to interpret that as disrespecting handicapped children.

Agree about most team fan sites. I certainly was not generalizing the entire Raven fan base and I think I made that clear in my post. I was only commenting on that individual site. The Scout Steelers site is much the same and is why I only browse those forums and don't post. I'm probably one of the more unbiased fans of any team. I've mentioned many times before that I think the Steelers aren't as good as their record indicates.

It's a good thing to be able to fill opposing stadiums due to a large fan base located nationally. It sure helps the team and there is nothing illegal with fans doing so. If Steeler fans want to wave a yellow towel at a football game not located in Pittsburgh, there shouldn't be a problem doing so (unless it's in the faces of opposing fans or in another disrespectful manner). What's next? Fans for an opposing team can't cheer their team at an opponent's stadium? That doesn't make any sense. I don't need any support nor do I yearn for it as I'm a fully capable and intelligent individual capable of processing my own opinions and thoughts without a need for justification from others. To add to that, I'm positive I'm accurate in my sentiments as well. Based on your quoted post, I think you've misinterpreted or didn't read some of what I've posted above and have come to an erroneous conclusion.
Nah, as part of their argument someone (most likely you) mentioned the history of the towel (and how the proceeds go to a handicaped school) in order to elaborate on why stomping on the towel was such a disrespectful act, which is just ridiculous.

Reread what I said, I said that its really annoying to have fans travel/come out into opposing teams stadiums and wave the flags around, and it creates a universal animosity amongst other fans who can't stand every home game against the Steelers turning into a semi away game with yellow props. Of course there is nothing wrong with it in the sense that the fans are not doing something wrong or illegal, but it is just annoying to the point where when a player stomps on a mock towel at the end of the game, it is more funny/satisfying than disrespectful in the eyes of non Steelers fans. I didn't bring up the people supporting you to insult your intelligence, I just used it as an example that the general consensus is that most non Steeler fans don't see a player stomping on a towel to be that big of a deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #72
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12

If the Steelers come back to Nashville, I'm taping terrible towels to the bottoms of my shoes. I hope none of the Steelers fans have panic attacks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »