Home

This is how to fix the Cleveland Browns.

This is a discussion on This is how to fix the Cleveland Browns. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
This is how to fix the Cleveland Browns.

At the risk of writing a very long set of paragraphs that no one will want to read. I will outline how I think the Browns can be fixed with a series of bullet points.

1. Change the entire culture of the team.

a. The old Browns are gone. They left 14 years ago. Quit trying to be the old Browns.

b. New uniforms. Something more modern. Get fans excited for a completely new look. Maybe even change some colors. There is just something about a new look that boosts teams. (See Rays)

c. Establish an IDENTITY. For the 10 years this team has been back they have had no identity. This is a cold weather town. You don't win games here by passing the ball in December. Become a running team. Change the 3-4 scheme back to a 4-3. We are a blue collar team. RUN THE BALL + STOP THE RUN = WIN!

2. The new regime. The new coach and GM don't have to be from
Cleveland, but they have to UNDERSTAND Cleveland.

a. Stick to your job description. Simply put, do your job. To much power is never good. The coach should coach, and the GM should stick to the off the field matters.

b. Hire established coaching personnel. Hire coordinators who are coordinators, and coaches who are coaches.

3. Player personnel.

a. Interview each player to make sure they fit into the new team philosophy. If you are an on or off field problem, you are not welcome here.

A lot of this stuff might seem pretty basic. I won't get into the specifics of what player should stay or go. The right GM and coach combination should be able to do that.

That's all I can think of right now..

Last edited by PVarck31; 12-29-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: This is how to fix the Cleveland Browns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
At the risk of writing a very long set of paragraphs that no one will want to read. I will outline how I think the Browns can be fixed with a series of bullet points.

1. Change the entire culture of the team.

a. The old Browns are gone. They left 14 years ago. Quit trying to be the old Browns.

b. New uniforms. Something more modern. Get fans excited for a completely new look. Maybe even change some colors. There is just something about a new look that boosts teams. (See Rays)
I think this is sort of a selection bias. Whether the Rays kept the Devil and old Uniforms was irrelevant to their play in baseball. The Cardinals changed their uniforms a few years ago and just recently "changed".

Colors and names don't matter in the end. "What is in a name? A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet". Re-branding the Browns is just putting a new Hello Kitty Bandage on your bloody lacerations.

The heart of the problem is: does this team have talent and is that talent being used correctly? Solve those problems and the Browns will be on the better path.

Quote:
c. Establish an IDENTITY. For the 10 years this team has been back they have had no identity. This is a cold weather town. You don't win games here by passing the ball in December. Become a running team. Change the 3-4 scheme back to a 4-3. We are a blue collar team. RUN THE BALL + STOP THE RUN = WIN!
I'm perfectly fine with going back to the 4-3. I'd actually prefer the 4-3 because it's easier to find talent for and not many colleges run the 3-4 meaning rookies have extra work on their already full plates that needs to be learned.

Passing or running I do not care which. I just want an effective offense. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket with a run heavy team because running backs usually want big $, I don't like that. I'm starting to feel that big money + heavy workload running backs aren't worth it because they burn out relatively quickly.

A cheap platoon of runningbacks seems the best option. Use them/Run them into the ground then discard them/trade them when they are nearing the end.

Wide Receivers on the other hand, are expensive, but they last longer. I'd even be fine with drafting Crabtree at #5 if he were there (I don't think he will be). That would hopefully give Brady another target and take some pressure off Braylon.

Quote:
2. The new regime. The new coach and GM don't have to be from
Cleveland, but they have to UNDERSTAND Cleveland.
Meh, I just want them to know what they are doing. If they could put a good team on the field but weren't able to find Cleveland on the map, I wouldn't complain.

Quote:
a. Stick to your job description. Simply put, do your job. To much power is never good. The coach should coach, and the GM should stick to the off the field matters.

b. Hire established coaching personnel. Hire coordinators who are coordinators, and coaches who are coaches.
I think A is a given.

For B I don't want also rans. There is usually a reason for the coaches on the market to be the coaches on the market. I'd rather try candidate X over Norv Turner/Wade Phillips style retread.

Quote:
3. Player personnel.

a. Interview each player to make sure they fit into the new team philosophy. If you are an on or off field problem, you are not welcome here.
I think it depends on the severity of the problem on and off the field. I'm fine with Braylon and Kellen saying their opinions because they can have what ever opinion they want. They still go out there and work.

There really aren't that many Browns showing up in the police blotter.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 35

Here's how the Browns can be fixed:

Randy Lerner sells the team to Dan Gilbert.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Simple solution:

Old 12-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10

From a Steelers fan, this is what I would do.

Hire a young coach, and a new gm.

Pioli would be a good start as a GM. Then let him pick his coach and get out of the way.

Everyone wants to know why the Steelers are always so good.

There are a few reasons but the biggest is organizational stabilty.The Steelers hire people, then get out of the way.

They dont panic after a bad year or two. They stick to their plan and have a model that they follow.

They build their teams around defense, they have a strong identity that the fans and players take great pride in.

They DO NOT allow internal strife, ever. If you disrupt the locker room you are gone.

The Browns need to change their culture from the top down, and give it time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
Simple solution:

However, I do agree with them becoming a running-based offense.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Here's how the Browns can be fixed:

Randy Lerner sells the team to Dan Gilbert.
...Why? Learner has much more money and contrary to every moron in Cleveland, does actually care.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamden311
From a Steelers fan, this is what I would do.

Hire a young coach, and a new gm.

Pioli would be a good start as a GM. Then let him pick his coach and get out of the way.

Everyone wants to know why the Steelers are always so good.

There are a few reasons but the biggest is organizational stabilty.The Steelers hire people, then get out of the way.

They dont panic after a bad year or two. They stick to their plan and have a model that they follow.

They build their teams around defense, they have a strong identity that the fans and players take great pride in.

They DO NOT allow internal strife, ever. If you disrupt the locker room you are gone.

The Browns need to change their culture from the top down, and give it time.
Very true... and about the steelers who are hated by many (myself included) but always respected. I feel like the Ravens have done a good job trying to follow the Steelers blueprint also. Same with the Titans and the Pats (great offense recently but this team is built on defense and character). Could name other teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »