Home

Could San Diego release Tomlinson?

This is a discussion on Could San Diego release Tomlinson? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Could San Diego release Tomlinson?

The Chargers rebounded from 4-8 to make the playoffs and upset the Colts, so it's not like their season was a waste. The loss of Merriman was huge. I guess I mentioned all this because I don't know what I would do with Tomlinson. How much has he regressed or how much the O-Line has gone down I just don't know. Have these comments by owner AJ Smith been posted yet?

"Darren Sproles was drafted by the San Diego Chargers to help us in three areas – kick returns, spot play as a running back and catching passes out of the backfield," said Smith. "We will be pursuing Darren for exactly the same reasons."

It doesn't appear that the Chargers will be willing to ante up much more loot for Sproles, so LT looks pretty secure in san Diego.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 29

If they cut him I bet he ends up on the Pats.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

LT...Remembered as arguably the best RB ever who never played in a meaningful game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
With AJ running the show, anything is possible.
I'll give AJ one thing and that's his ability to evaluate talent.

There is no way in hell he keeps Sproles over LT. I think he knows that Sproles is not an every down back and that the problem this year was with the offensive line and not LT.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
I'll give AJ one thing and that's his ability to evaluate talent.

There is no way in hell he keeps Sproles over LT. I think he knows that Sproles is not an every down back and that the problem this year was with the offensive line and not LT.
Question becomes though, how much tread is truly on the tires. They've got to get another back to take the load off and possibly be the guy in the near future. This could be a very good draft to do that, and not necessarily in the first round.

Imo, they really need to address RT, SS, FS. And get depth at NT and RB since LT and Williams are the only two players entering the twilight of their career.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Question becomes though, how much tread is truly on the tires. They've got to get another back to take the load off and possibly be the guy in the near future. This could be a very good draft to do that, and not necessarily in the first round.

Imo, they really need to address RT, SS, FS. And get depth at NT and RB since LT and Williams are the only two players entering the twilight of their career.
Agreed, but you don't get rid of LT this year and hope find his replacement with a combination of Sproles and a second day draft pick this year.

And is it me or did it seem like Weddle played much better after Rivera took over? He seemed to be just a half second late when Cottrel was the defensive coordinator and then making all kinds of plays after he was fired.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
Agreed, but you don't get rid of LT this year and hope find his replacement with a combination of Sproles and a second day draft pick this year.

And is it me or did it seem like Weddle played much better after Rivera took over? He seemed to be just a half second late when Cottrel was the defensive coordinator and then making all kinds of plays after he was fired.
He did play better, especially when Rivera moved him in the nickel to either a blitz position, underneath coverage, or man coverage on a slot or TE.

He's still lost when playing deep halves or deep thirds and that's what scares me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #16
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I was thinking about this during the playoffs. I think that LT would LOVE to leave San Diego not because he doesn't like it there as he did a lot of great things but I think he kinda feels lost in the shuffle under Norv's system and well, I think his pride is wounded a bit seeing that it's Rivers' team now instead of his.

That being said, I think Smith would be out of his mind to let LT go. I agree with BK that they need to look for the future and draft a RB to compliment LT. Sproles is probably gone next year. I just hope he doesn't turn into Turner part II where he lights up the league and the SD run game looks the same or worse as this past season.

PR wise it would look REAL bad for SD.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »