Home

NFL Hall of Fame class of 2009

This is a discussion on NFL Hall of Fame class of 2009 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: NFL Hall of Fame class of 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii
I judge a guard...or any lineman...or any player for that matter...by how they have separated themselves from others by their innovation, dominance, etc.
7 All Pro years is dominance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 AM   #82
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Certainly not by the number of Pro Bowls. The Pro Bowl is packed with guys who get in based on popularity or reputation.

I judge a guard...or any lineman...or any player for that matter...by how they have separated themselves from others by their innovation, dominance, etc.

Was McDaniel a truly dominant player (like Jim Brown, Dick Butkus, Jerry Rice, etc.)? Did he do things very few others had done before? No. He was very very good, but not "elite".

So he made a bunch of Pro Bowls. Good for him. All-Pro? Something to be proud of, but being among the best at the time he was playing doesn't mean you are Hall of Fame material.

I guess I have higher standards of a Hall of Fame than most. To me, a Hall of Fame should be only for the truly great....men who stand head and shoulders above and apart from others.

But I don't decide who gets in and who doesn't. Neither does anyone else on this board. So what we think doesn't really matter.
Come on, some of what you said is just funny. Innovation? He was a guard. Playing guard hasn't been known to be the hotbed for innovation over the course of the long and storied history of the NFL.

Dominance? Again, if 12 straight Pro Bowls (a record) and being a 7 time All Pro doesn't speak to his dominance I don't know what does.

There is no question that McDaniel was one of the true greats that played the game.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Certainly not by the number of Pro Bowls. The Pro Bowl is packed with guys who get in based on popularity or reputation.
Back during most of McDaniel's era, the Pro-Bowl was selected by the guys you played against and the coaches, so the DL that went up against McDaniel and coaches voted him in.

With the way things stand now, Pro-Bowl selections are near meaningless (Favre got selected from the AFC for god's sake), but back then they meant something.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 1

Shannon Sharpe should have made it, same with Cris Carter
Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #85
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fphlip9
Shannon Sharpe should have made it, same with Cris Carter
they will

Sharpe would have been the first TE to go in on the first ballot. The voters havent given enough respect to that position over the years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #86
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
they will

Sharpe would have been the first TE to go in on the first ballot. The voters havent given enough respect to that position over the years.
Watch Tony Gonzalez get in first try

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »