Home

People who belong in the Hall Of Fame

This is a discussion on People who belong in the Hall Of Fame within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #25
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: People who belong in the Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
Terrell Davis. Whats sad is Curtis Martin will get in for being very good for a long time. But he was never great...not in comparison to Davis. BTW, the "very good for a long time" was the argument for keeping Art Monk out.
A bit of an apples and oranges comparison there though. The argument against Monk wasn't necessarily because he was very good for a long time but rather that he was never considered the best WR in the league and at times he seemed to be the 2nd or 3rd option in the Skins offense.

RBs and WRs are so different in that RBs tend to last 5-6 years at the most and Curtis Martin was a very good back for a very long time at a position where you start declining rapidly. Martin never really had the steep "off the cliff" decline that a lot of others in his position had.

As for Davis, he was great for a brief period of time but injuries robbed him of a longer career. I think a case can be made to invoke the Gale Sayers example but we live in a more cynical world and well, Sayers is the exception that proves the rule. I do think TD will get in eventually but not any time soon.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #26
Rookie

KingsRock91's Arena

OVR: 6

Cris Carter is easily the one guy who needs to be in. 2nd behind Rice in receiving categories.

TD needs to get in as well. Disregard my potential bias, but I will have to plead Gale Sayers on this. If Sayers kept his 5.0 ypc average and had as many touches as Davis, he would have 8275 yards. Sayers averaged 5.5 rushing TDs a year. Davis averaged 8.5. Both of those numbers included their injury plagued years as well.

Shannon Sharpe: Was the all time leader in TE receptions and TDs until Tony Gonzales passed him recently. He was only the MAIN target of a QB when he was on the Ravens (2 years?). 3 rings. Broncos had Rod Smith, Ed McCaffery, TD for Elway to give the ball to, as well as Sharpe. Gonzales never had a legit other receiver until Dwayne Bowe was drafted a couple years ago.

Edit: typo
Old 05-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #27
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance

As a Cowboys fan, I'd like to see Drew Pearson (first team all NFL for the 70s) and Bob Hayes (forced he invention of the zone defense).
Hayes is going in this year man

long overdue obviously
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
A bit of an apples and oranges comparison there though. The argument against Monk wasn't necessarily because he was very good for a long time but rather that he was never considered the best WR in the league and at times he seemed to be the 2nd or 3rd option in the Skins offense.

RBs and WRs are so different in that RBs tend to last 5-6 years at the most and Curtis Martin was a very good back for a very long time at a position where you start declining rapidly. Martin never really had the steep "off the cliff" decline that a lot of others in his position had.

As for Davis, he was great for a brief period of time but injuries robbed him of a longer career. I think a case can be made to invoke the Gale Sayers example but we live in a more cynical world and well, Sayers is the exception that proves the rule. I do think TD will get in eventually but not any time soon.
NFL MVP
Super Bowl MVP
2000 yard rusher (playing in the equivalent of 14 games)
Most consecutive postseason games with 100 yards

How many other RBs have that on their resume? Thats right. Its none. You can frame it however you want but the Art Monk comparison is still in play. Curtis Martin has nothing close to that on his resume...his is only bolstered in comparison by being very good for a very long time.

Davis should even probably get in even if you dont cite Sayers as an example. When you look at how the HOF has voted, they have given preference to SB winners. This is why half of the Steelers from those 70s teams are in. Lynn Swann doesnt deserve in the HOF in comparison to Drew Pearson. In case of several Denver Broncos, their resume is supremely enhanced by having SB Champion on it. Davis was the key player in delivering those SBs. So not only did Davis have his own resume to speak of but he was also a force multiplier of sorts.

----

In any case here is my list of players who deserve to be in the HOF. Youll notice there are several Broncos. Their omission is an absolute joke and a black eye to those who vote on the HOF. No other team who has been as consistently successful going back 32 years has fewer players in the HOF:

Terrell Davis
Shannon Sharpe
Randy Gradishar
Louis Wright
Steve Atwater
Ken Stabler
Jerry Kramer
Don Coryell
Drew Pearson
Charles Haley
Andre Reed

Last edited by yvesdereuter; 05-23-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #29
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

I concur with:

Shannon Sharpe

Steve Atwater

Terrell Davis (he's a special case, like Gayle Sayers)

Drew Pearson, even though he's not a household name today.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #30
Rookie

KingsRock91's Arena

OVR: 6

I totally forgot about Atwater. I remember people were afraid to go down the middle and catch the ball when he was at safety.

Atwater - 6'3" 220
Okoye - 6'1" 260

Also had good numbers as well
Old 05-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #31
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRock91
I totally forgot about Atwater. I remember people were afraid to go down the middle and catch the ball when he was at safety.

Atwater - 6'3" 220
Okoye - 6'1" 260

Also had good numbers as well
It was a great hit, but truth be told Okoye was dropping his hips to make a cut but made that decision about a second too late. If he had leaned forward and driven into Atwater the results would have been different.

In other words, it was a lucky shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #32
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Atwater will get in, and deservedly so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »