Home

Is it truly a privilege to play in the NFL?

This is a discussion on Is it truly a privilege to play in the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #49
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Is it truly a privilege to play in the NFL?

Jmood, you're too hung up on the talent and money aspect. Any high-profile, high-paying job requires someone to be a serious cut above the rest in that field. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to pay top dollar and we'd all be brain surgeons or pro athletes.

Is it a privilege to wear a uniform with the tradition of the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, etc? Yes, it is a cool thing to get to do.

Is it a privilege to play in Lambeau field and in front of a nationally televised audience? Yes, brain surgeons and trial lawyers don't get the limelight that an NFL player does.

It is a privilege to have kids look up to you, pin your poster on their wall, and ask for your autograph? Yes, definitely.

Is it a privilege to receive the red-carpet treatment at restaurants, public events, and from the local folks in the market you play? Yes, again, very few people are lauded over like that.

Is it a privilege to get to play with, against, and for legendary figures of the sporting world? Yes.

I could go on and on. I know what you're saying, and yes, it takes someone with special talent to receive the opportunity to play in the NFL, but the history and heritage of the league and the special treatment those associated receive are unique to very few arenas. That is what makes it a privilege.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #50
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
First, the point made about a company...

Is the NFL a company? In a sense, yes. It employs people etc.

BUT the problem being made here is that we're comparing the NFL to something like Wal-Mart, when there's a clear distinction.

If the NFL is a "company" then why isn't it on the fortune 500 w/ all other company's?

You've got to throw out all this association w/ the NFL being no different than a regular job that you, I, or Bob can apply for. It isn't. Only the privileged can make it into the NFL. Just like only the privileged can make it into golf.

Their tangible and intangible assets give them the opportunity, but it is a privilege to be able to cash in on that opportunity.

We ALL have the same opportunity, I mean that's what jmood was trying to say..."Anyone can apply to the draft".

However, we're weeded out over the more privileged individuals. The ones with God given talents or genetics far above what we're capable of.
I disagree. I believe that in this country if I have the talent/skill level to compete in the NFL I should have the opportunity to do so, hence being able to try out. As others have stated, I can do this. You can't factor in success or the probability that this will come true based on size of the NFL alone. I don't have the skill set to become an NFL player or a Neurosurgeon, both being an elite group of people.

Being priviliged to have genetic advantages is something something completely different. You have no control over what genes you are born with. The NFL or any other sports league is not solely comprised of folks that are genetically superior to rest of the population. These leagues are made up of people who have the combination of atheltic ability and skills. Both of which you have to work at to compete at the highest of levels these days.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #51
Banned

Freelance's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
I disagree. I believe that in this country if I have the talent/skill level to compete in the NFL I should have the opportunity to do so, hence being able to try out. As others have stated, I can do this. You can't factor in success or the probability that this will come true based on size of the NFL alone. I don't have the skill set to become an NFL player or a Neurosurgeon, both being an elite group of people.

Being priviliged to have genetic advantages is something something completely different. You have no control over what genes you are born with. The NFL or any other sports league is not solely comprised of folks that are genetically superior to rest of the population. These leagues are made up of people who have the combination of atheltic ability and skills. Both of which you have to work at to compete at the highest of levels these days.
So it is no greater privilege to be on the PBA bowlers tour or be a UFC fighter than it is to play quarterback for the Packers? Again, it's not just about having the talent to play. It's about the privilege of playing in a league with a rich history and popularity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #52
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It sounds like you think that anyone who has a better job or is more athletic than you is privileged. Getting into any of those fields requires work, not just whatever ability they were gifted with.
It requires less work from somebody more privileged; again simple economics.

How is that so hard to understand.

I'm sure you've got friends who can study for an hour and ace a test, whereas you might have to study for 4 hours to ace the same test.

If I had to train for 8 hours a day JUST to be able to get physically capable to compete for the 53rd spot on an NFL roster, and the guy I'm competing w/ had to only train for 2 hours who is more privileged?

Apply a real-life scenario that in my 8 hours of training, I have only 16 more hours to work, eat, sleep, relax.

The work involved makes it near impossible to accomplish my goals w/o other parameters in place (financial support etc.).

That's where a more privileged (physically gifted) individual gets into the NFL.

Quote:
Ok hold on a second, you are calling me naive because I said that you can apply yet earlier you said that what makes the NFL different from other jobs is that everyone can apply to them. You were wrong , just accept that.
No...now I'm saying you're not naieve, but perhaps have reading comprehension issues...I said CAN'T APPLY...Can't Can't Can't...

Quote:
We all can APPLY to those same jobs, whether or not we're qualified depends on if we get interviewed etc.

You can't "APPLY" to the NFL. For that reason a lone it is a privlege to play in the league...you're selected.
You made the naieve statement that we ALL can apply to the NFL, when really we can't. That's silly. You're wrong. Just accept THAT.

Quote:
You need to look at what you write before you try to argue with someone.
Pot...Meet kettle.

Quote:
Umm no I'm pretty sure I know who I brought up. It would make no sense for me to bring up a guy who played for a different team and was in a completely different situation. Michael Lewis on the Saints was a beer truck driver who got a tryout for the team and made it. The only example you said you knew of was a guy from 20+ years ago. Once again, you are wrong.
AGAIN WRONG! The Michael Lewis you speak of on the Saints IS the beer truck driver, AND IS OUT OF THE NFL AS OF 2007.

The Michael Lewis on SF now is the former Eagles Strong Safety. Now...the WR Michael Lewis you speak of DID play for SF last, but played in the AFL in 2008.

I know much more than Eagles players, I think the above clearly states that bruh.

Quote:
And again, this is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Your reasoning for an NFL job being a privilege because teams can decided not to sign people for reasons other than their athletic ability makes no sense.

I don't know why you're talking about this like I care, this isn't close to what I was talking about.
It is not by any means. It has every bit of relevance.

Vick and Jones have the talent to be in the NFL right now.

It's their legal issues, and the burdens that will follow which will prevent them from getting on w/ a team. Now, out of 32 teams there could be a few who would take either one, but the choices are slim.

Just because they have the talent doesn't mean they must be signed. Because in signing them there is a risk of bad publicity for the NFL, the team, among other things.

If you abused the privileges your parents set forth, like taking out the family car, but having a curfew...if you broke curfew your privileges would be taken away right.

Same goes for this, but it's on an even larger scale.

They've abused their privileges due to behavorial problems. If you can't understand at least that then just exit this discussion.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #53
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Jmood, you're too hung up on the talent and money aspect. Any high-profile, high-paying job requires someone to be a serious cut above the rest in that field. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to pay top dollar and we'd all be brain surgeons or pro athletes.

Is it a privilege to wear a uniform with the tradition of the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, etc? Yes, it is a cool thing to get to do.

Is it a privilege to play in Lambeau field and in front of a nationally televised audience? Yes, brain surgeons and trial lawyers don't get the limelight that an NFL player does.

It is a privilege to have kids look up to you, pin your poster on their wall, and ask for your autograph? Yes, definitely.

Is it a privilege to receive the red-carpet treatment at restaurants, public events, and from the local folks in the market you play? Yes, again, very few people are lauded over like that.

Is it a privilege to get to play with, against, and for legendary figures of the sporting world? Yes.

I could go on and on. I know what you're saying, and yes, it takes someone with special talent to receive the opportunity to play in the NFL, but the history and heritage of the league and the special treatment those associated receive are unique to very few arenas. That is what makes it a privilege.
No I think you're getting hung up on the money aspect. I see it as just another job that happens to pay alot, you see it as your childhood dream that you wish you could do.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #54
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
So it is no greater privilege to be on the PBA bowlers tour or be a UFC fighter than it is to play quarterback for the Packers? Again, it's not just about having the talent to play. It's about the privilege of playing in a league with a rich history and popularity.
No it's not. There are people out there that would rather be the Heavyweight UFC than the QB for the Packers. The 2 do not equate. While I'd rather be the QB for GB over a proffessional bowler or UFC fighter I can't speak for any group as a whole.

Most of those things you mentioned are perks and come with the job of an NFL star and or any high profile entertainment job.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #55
Banned

OVR: 32

The other "privilege" NFL players have are long term disabilities and shorter life spans.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #56
Banned

Freelance's Arena

Quote:
No I think you're getting hung up on the money aspect. I see it as just another job that happens to pay alot, you see it as your childhood dream that you wish you could do.
Just another job that pays a lot?

What other job allows someone to have a third-grade education, go to a university on a full scholarship, barely attend class let alone graduate, and still be rewarded with fame and fortune?

Name the other high-paying jobs out there that don't even require a basic education or the slightest ounce of social or communicative skill.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »