Home

Herr Goodell wants uniformity.

This is a discussion on Herr Goodell wants uniformity. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #57
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Herr Goodell wants uniformity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Now you get my point. This isn't about a bad image being presented. This about a bunch of privileged, out-of-touch, billionaires trying to impose their world view on everybody else.
THEY....OWN....THE....LEAGUE!!

They aren't imposing anything. They are enforcing a dress code. If you go to work in a corporate office with your dress shirt hanging out and tie on backwards, they'll send you home.

Have you watched an MLB game lately. Look at some of the idiots dress these days. They look stupid. The NFL is preventing that nonsense in their league, which is why the NFL is vastly more successful than the very troubled world of baseball these days.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #58
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
While I understand alot of these rules have been in place pre-Goodell............I think he's a terrible commisioner. He goes around acting like the NFL is something serious on par with the United Nations or something and he acts like a Supreme Court Justice. What really gets me is that the union never challenges him on anything. He's got too much power, and power corrupts.

I'm glad players are starting to use things like Twitter (lame as it is) and blogs to send a big FU to Goodell and the league.
I agree. The No Fun League is going too far with some stuff.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #59
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
THEY....OWN....THE....LEAGUE!!

They aren't imposing anything. They are enforcing a dress code. If you go to work in a corporate office with your dress shirt hanging out and tie on backwards, they'll send you home.
I don't recall a NFL player wearing they jersey or pants on backwards.

Individual style is actually what attracts many younger fans to the NFL. The NFL's popularity has NOTHING to do with limiting apparel. I agree there should be limits, but I think the proposed rules are a little ridiculous.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #60
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
And you really think that Reebok would sever their relationship w/the most lucrative athletic business in America if their logo is blocked by, say, a third of the NFL personel? You know that's a bunch of bull.

The NFL can write their ticket & all the apparel companies would gladly pony up the price just to be the official outfitter.
Somewhat off-topic but I was sitting with the Director of Sponorships for Washington State Athletics during a televised football game and he fielded 4 different calls from Nike reps wondering why the quarterback's ankles were taped covering the Nike logo. They were showing his footwork and you couldn't see the Nike logo on-screen since he had taped ankles.

So multimillion dollar corporations do get pissed at really small details.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #61
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
I think it says something positive about a person when their daily lives aren't affected but still feel outrage when they see injustice or unfairness.
Fining a football player $5,000 isn't for improper uniform code is hardly an injustice or unfairness, but whatever.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Fining a football player $5,000 isn't for improper uniform code is hardly an injustice or unfairness, but whatever.
It isn't worth fining a player over anything unless it conflicts with a sponsor or poses a health risk.

Player X wants to wear short socks? Let him. It won't hurt anybody.
Player Y has his jersey untucked? Who gives a damn.

It isn't worthy of a fine because it does nothing to the NFL or anyone.

While fining isn't some great injustice, it's just ****ing stupid.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #63
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
While I understand alot of these rules have been in place pre-Goodell............I think he's a terrible commisioner. He goes around acting like the NFL is something serious on par with the United Nations or something and he acts like a Supreme Court Justice. What really gets me is that the union never challenges him on anything. He's got too much power, and power corrupts.

I'm glad players are starting to use things like Twitter (lame as it is) and blogs to send a big FU to Goodell and the league.
It's a business. Isn't that what the players say when they hold out for more money??

It's a multi-billion dollar business, the NFL has a right to set standards, it's an exclusive club and marketed as such, very successfully I might add. The NFL is helping a lot of people make a lot of money.

Look up the DEFINITION of "uniform".

1. identical or consistent, as from example to example, place to place, or moment to moment: uniform spelling; a uniform building code.

2. without variations in detail: uniform output; a uniform surface.

3. constant; unvarying; undeviating: uniform kindness; uniform velocity.

4. constituting part of a uniform: to be issued uniform shoes.

5. Mathematics. occurring in a manner independent of some variable, parameter, function, etc.: a uniform bound.

–noun
6. an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession, organization, or rank.

7. a word used in communications to represent the letter U.
–verb (used with object)

8. to make uniform or standard.

9. to clothe in or furnish with a uniform.

So the NFL wants UNIFORMITY in their uniforms. Well, I guess that makes them Nazi's and Goodell Hitler as implied by the "Herr Goodell" title of this thread.

You want to be an individual, do it on your own time. When you're granted the PRIVILEGE of playing in the National Football League, they would like their UNIFORMS to be UNIFORM for 3 hours on Sunday, Oh the horror!!!!!!

It's a TEAM sport, not an individuality look at me show, Goodell isn't making them laser off their tattoos. The NFL tailors THEIR product to make it look the best for television. I always think of the NFL films slow motion shot of the Dallas Cowboys in the 70's on offense coming to the line of scrimmage, every player moving perfectly in time, uniforms perfect, coming set together, all moving perfectly at the snap of the ball. You were facing a machine, everyone's uniform was perfect, they were drilled, disciplined and calculating. Sloppy uniforms just don't look right when you're part of a machine, a TEAM.

Sports are big business, free agents, etc. Ever hear the phrase "you root for the uniform"? Well you do, that's YOUR team, the team you've been rooting for since you were a kid. Now you've got new guys on "YOUR" team every year, some you like, some you don't, but it's still "YOUR" team.

Look at all the war analogies in football (not exactly fair to guys who actually risk DYING in war, but I digress). The battle in the trenches, the bomb, the fighting for every yard, field position, Football is War, etc. Football is the most militaristic sport, uniforms matter to the military and they matter in football.

These guys have all the time in the world to be individuals with Twitter, etc., like you mentioned. Many guys resent the publicity whores because they're SUPPOSED to be a team. Some "rebels" cry because they can't advertise themselves on the NFL's dime, boo hoo. How many people are buying the 360 version of Madden over the PS3 because the helmets shine better on the 360?????

Look at the tons of uniform questions and threads on here, some of you actually agree with the NFL and don't even know it, you've grown to love the uniforms and the uniformity they have always strived for. Who doesn't love to look down the line and see these, beautiful shiny helmets facing one another, poised to battle.

Good for the NFL, they've always done it right, and their strategy has made Football the NEW national past time, overtaking baseball, which years ago, seemed impossible.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #64
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

So Goodell should go to battle with corporate sponsors playing a financial game of chicken so that players can wear the hats they want on the sideline or some colored tape on their shoes? Bottom line is, there are people being paid on every team to make sure that every player is dressed properly. Players have to actually go out of their way to violate any of these rules. The level of detail in each rule is to eliminate any loophole that some "me first" player will go to extra lengths to find. The amount of the fine is to discourage that same "me first" player from saying "Screw these rules, I make enough to ignore them."

It's really that simple. Cooley was probably laughing at them more than being upset about them. Waiters at TGIF probably laugh at the "flare" they have to wear with their striped shirts, and the trash collectors probably laugh at the puke green body suits they have to wear. It's a job, and these are job requirements. Deal with them or get another job. It doesn't even matter if they are a factor of the good ole boys or if there is legit merit to each and every rule that they feel (rightfully so) there's no reason to fill us in on. Either bc of or despite these rules, we all watch and love the NFL and hold it above other sports and it continues to grow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »