Home

So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th?

This is a discussion on So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #65
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th?

Who's Tim Tebow?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #66
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
They kind of aren't. Tebow was made to look good in a Spread offense that included Percy Harvin, Riley Cooper etc etc.

Tebow has heart and a Heisman, but he is not close to being a complete NFL/NCAA QB. He couldn't even compelete a drive in the Senior Bowl. Vince Young DECIMATED one of the greatest CFB Teams ever in the USC 06' Trojans. Vince took snaps from under the center and Shotgun. Tebow rarely EVER took snaps from a Center.

Now, VY has proven himself in the Pros against elite talent. Will Tim Tebow do the same??? We shall see.
Before you get too high on Young, Fresno State decimated that '06 USC defense, too. That USC team was hyped because of its offense; the defense had a lot of room to grow.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 05-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #67
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11

The Vick effect was huge at the time. I will concede that a lot of people found Vince Young appealing, but I don't think anyone seriously projected him to be a really great NFL quarterback, certainly not early on. As others have said, many projected him to switch positions. Young, despite a good showing this year taking over Kerry "I need to retire" Collins, is still not a good NFL quarterback in my eyes. This season will be his proving grounds to me, but maybe I'm just a lot harder on guys than some.

Tebow deserves all of the criticism he gets for his throwing mechanics. He is a lousy pro quarterback, to put it bluntly. I'm not disparaging the guy for his athleticism or work ethic--those are probably his biggest upsides--but he's not a good quarterback. He has an awfully slow and awkward release, can't take a snap from under center without fumbling it half the time, and has a terrible, wobbly deep ball. The guy has problems throwing tight spirals--that spells doom in the NFL. In my opinion, he'll be lucky to keep his position if he stays the way he is.

That said, I wouldn't bet against him revamping his mechanics and making something of himself. He's got a big heart and a lot of drive and that can go a long way with the right coaching.

Also, winning a Heisman mean literally nothing in the NFL for a lot of players.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #68
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12

Vince was seen as a risky pick at the time. He certainly had the most upside, but everybody figured he'd be a project. Some analysts (ex. Merril Hoge) thought he was going to be a complete bust.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #69
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKAY OKAY
I'm just wondering, why did all the NFL analysts/scouts, whomever, dub VY a future super star QB (some didn't, but the point is that most were ok with VY as a 1st round QB) while they dub Tim Tebow as a player who has a low chance of making it as a NFL QB?

Why such a huge discrepancy?

EDIT

It seems like people are missing the point - let me clarify.

The general conception was that VY was going to be a starting NFL QB, and most believe to be a STAR (a top 10 pick would equate to a star).

And the conception with Tebow right now is, CAN HE BE AN NFL QB? Can he even MAKE it?

There is a HUGE discrepancy, a HUGE difference... and that's why I ask the question.
VY is more athletically gifted then Tebow. Plus scouts have gotten smarter evaluating spread QB's.

Plus Team Needs - more teams needed QBs at that point in time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »