Home

Best runningback of all time

This is a discussion on Best runningback of all time within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Best RB of all time
Emmitt Smith 46 8.97%
Walter Payton 105 20.47%
Barry Sanders 231 45.03%
Eric Dickerson 7 1.36%
Jim Brown 77 15.01%
OJ Simpson 2 0.39%
Earl Campbell 6 1.17%
Ladainian Tomlinson 15 2.92%
Marshall Faulk 11 2.14%
Other: please list 13 2.53%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #65
Banned

OVR: 49
Re: Best runningback of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
In that offense I think Smith would have put up similar yards from scrimmage to what Sanders gave Detroit. He'd have had less yards rushing but more than made up for it with yards receiving. He also wouldn't have been a liability inside the 5 yard line.
Who would pass the balls to Emmitt Smith? charlie batch? Andre Ware? Scott Mitchell? Rodeney Pete? Thats his QB choices. I don't think it would be the same as Aikman, and his dangerous tandoms of receivers keeping defenders busy.

I cant believe you can honestly say Sanders had skill around him. He had Herman Moore, name another offensive all pro. Kevin Glover??? What did he do after detroit traded him? Nothing. Sanders O-line stunk. You think the negative yards was really because Sanders wanted to dance around in the backfield? I'm 32, I followed Sanders from 1989 and never missed a televised game. Watch his rookie year, and then each year after. He completely changed his running style so it would work. Barry hit the holes early on. He also scored touchdowns from within the 5 yard line early on. If you followed Barry, you would know he didnt get touchdowns inside the 5 later on because the new coach Bobby Ross started pulling him and putting Touchdown Tommy Vardell in there. If you remember, the announcers would go crazy, and tommy would never score, yet Bobby Ross would continue to put old Tommy in. Again, your not stating facts as far as your Sanders arguements. Your stating rumors that are passed around from people that didnt watch Sanders play.

What Barry didnt do was hit a hole that wasnt there. Frankly, in my opinion, I never understood why some runners plow into the line and just go nowhere, but thats just my view

Emmitts great. I'm not trying to saywho is better. I'm just saying, you cant say Sanders was surrounded in talent. They did make it to 2 playoff games, and even won one or two once. What have they done since then?

Barry had a terrible passing team, a average at best line, and 2 coaches that couldnt hold there jobs in detroit or anywhere else they were. Dp we even need to get into the management issues going on at that time?

The Lions all pro's from 1989-1997

Barry Sanders
Herman Moore(enjured after a few seasons)
Kevin Glover(traded after a few seasons)
Chris Speilman(short carear-injury)

Sorry if I missed one. I dont think Mark carrier ever made all pro with the Lions. I did like him though. I actually loved his dirty hits,lol.

Last edited by wheelman990; 06-17-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 8

Barry Sanders
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #67
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

You know I sense some bias towards OJ

I can't believe i just looked at that poll and Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Thomlinson have more votes than OJ are you kidding me.....

That just ain't right and I find it hard to believe from what i've read and heard about OJ during his playing days that many GM's in today's NFL wouldn't draft him him ahead of LT and Faulk

Hell Gayle Sayers might even go ahead of both of those guys

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 06-17-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
You know I sense some bias towards OJ

I can't believe i just looked at that poll and Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Thomlinson have more votes than OJ are you kidding me.....

That just ain't right and I find it hard to believe from what i've read and heard about OJ during his playing days that many GM's in today's NFL would draft him him ahead of LT and Faulk

Hell Gayle Sayers might even go ahead of both of those guys
ya I guess its hard to vote for him after everything that happened. I have to admitt I almost didnt put him on the list, but I put my views aside and put him where he belongs. He was a great runner, sad the later events had to happen.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:11 AM   #69
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Who would pass the balls to Emmitt Smith? charlie batch? Andre Ware? Scott Mitchell? Rodeney Pete? Thats his QB choices. I don't think it would be the same as Aikman, and his dangerous tandoms of receivers keeping defenders busy.

I cant believe you can honestly say Sanders had skill around him. He had Herman Moore, name another offensive all pro. Kevin Glover??? What did he do after detroit traded him? Nothing. Sanders O-line stunk. You think the negative yards was really because Sanders wanted to dance around in the backfield? I'm 32, I followed Sanders from 1989 and never missed a televised game. Watch his rookie year, and then each year after. He completely changed his running style so it would work. Barry hit the holes early on. He also scored touchdowns from within the 5 yard line early on. If you followed Barry, you would know he didnt get touchdowns inside the 5 later on because the new coach Bobby Ross started pulling him and putting Touchdown Tommy Vardell in there. If you remember, the announcers would go crazy, and tommy would never score, yet Bobby Ross would continue to put old Tommy in. Again, your not stating facts as far as your Sanders arguements. Your stating rumors that are passed around from people that didnt watch Sanders play.

What Barry didnt do was hit a hole that wasnt there. Frankly, in my opinion, I never understood why some runners plow into the line and just go nowhere, but thats just my view

Emmitts great. I'm not trying to saywho is better. I'm just saying, you cant say Sanders was surrounded in talent. They did make it to 2 playoff games, and even won one or two once. What have they done since then?

Barry had a terrible passing team, a average at best line, and 2 coaches that couldnt hold there jobs in detroit or anywhere else they were. Dp we even need to get into the management issues going on at that time?

The Lions all pro's from 1989-1997

Barry Sanders
Herman Moore(enjured after a few seasons)
Kevin Glover(traded after a few seasons)
Chris Speilman(short carear-injury)

Sorry if I missed one. I dont think Mark carrier ever made all pro with the Lions. I did like him though. I actually loved his dirty hits,lol.
I'm pretty sure Robert Porcher and Lomas Brown were all-pro players when Sanders was in Detroit with them

Also Bennie Blades only made 1 Pro Bowl but he was an outstanding SS, Brett Perriman another player who didn't make the Pro Bowl but he was part of the tandem with Moore at WR that became the 1st dou to each top 100 receptions in a season (1995)

They had Johnny Morton, Jerry Ball, Mike Compton, Mel Gray (NFL 90's All Decade Team for Kick Returner), David Sloan, Dave Lutz, Eric Andolsek

Now I'm not going to say they had more talent around Barry than the Cowboys had around Smith but it's not like those Lions teams lacked talent overall.

Also if i can recall i think the Lions team of 91 or 92 beat the Cowboys in the playoffs and that was a very talented Lions team around Barry

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #70
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Ernie Davis?
Mad prop's to Ernie Davis you can't help but respect the man and what he had to over come just to suit up.

When i watch his highlights he kinda reminds me of Eddie George with his upright running style but the speed of a smaller shifty back...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExxbE...eature=related

Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #71
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Some say, the greatest back who ever lived was the first to surpass Jim Brown's rushing record. If you can name him in the next 12 hours, I'll give you a prize.
Tony Dorsett?

Edit: Nope it was Payton.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...

Last edited by mKoz26; 06-17-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I'm pretty sure Robert Porcher and Lomas Brown were all-pro players when Sanders was in Detroit with them

Also Bennie Blades only made 1 Pro Bowl but he was an outstanding SS, Brett Perriman another player who didn't make the Pro Bowl but he was part of the tandem with Moore at WR that became the 1st dou to each top 100 receptions in a season (1995)

They had Johnny Morton, Jerry Ball, Mike Compton, Mel Gray (NFL 90's All Decade Team for Kick Returner), David Sloan, Dave Lutz, Eric Andolsek

Now I'm not going to say they had more talent around Barry than the Cowboys had around Smith but it's not like those Lions teams lacked talent overall.

Also if i can recall i think the Lions team of 91 or 92 beat the Cowboys in the playoffs and that was a very talented Lions team around Barry
I went ahead and looked up ALL of the Detroit Lions probowlers. Keep in mind 85-90% or more of these guys werent first team listed, but were in the pro bowl

Barry Sanders 1989-1998 RB every year of his carear
Mel Grey 1990-1994 KR
Herman Moore 1994-1997 WR
Lomas Brown 1990-1994 T
Speilman 1989-1991, 94 LB
Jerry Ball 1989-1991
Robert Porcher 1997
Kevin Glover 1995-1997
Jason Hanson 1997
Pat swilling 1993
Bennie Blades 1991

Thats only 3 other offensive pro bowlers in Barry Sanders ENTIRE carear, and the 2 lineman never played together.

Lets be honest. Sanders carried them to the pro bowl. He was rushing champ many times, they had to put them in. They were good, but nothing special. ZERO hall of famers in his ENTIRE carear.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »