Home

Top 100 Player - Favre Higher Than Brady, Elway, and Marino

This is a discussion on Top 100 Player - Favre Higher Than Brady, Elway, and Marino within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Top 100 Player - Favre Higher Than Brady, Elway, and Marino

I saw the Deion thread a while back seemed pretty lively and I was curious as to everyone's take on this one. I loved the way the series was unfolding early on, but it's been getting a little flaky the past few episodes. No Warren Sapp anywhere on the list and no Walter Jones? Come on!

Farve - 20
Brady - 21
Elway - 23
Marino - 25

Obviously we all bring our own biases to a list like this, depending on age among other things, but I have seen Brett Farve's whole career, the MVP highs, to late-game turnover lows and there is no way I would put him ahead of any of the other three by any measure beyond statistics. No doubt he is an all time great and first ballot HOF, but he was not a better football player than Elway, didn't throw a better ball than Marino, and didn't possess Brady's intangibles... in my opinion

How would you tweak this list? My personal favorite is Marino; just a beautiful passer of the football, but I think Elway had the most complete package and I'd put him at the top of any list of quarterbacks behind Montana and maybe Unitas.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Top 100 Player - Farve Higher Than Brady, Elway, and Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I saw the Deion thread a while back seemed pretty lively and I was curious as to everyone's take on this one. I loved the way the series was unfolding early on, but it's been getting a little flaky the past few episodes. No Warren Sapp anywhere on the list and no Walter Jones? Come on!

Farve - 20
Brady - 21
Elway - 23
Marino - 25

Obviously we all bring our own biases to a list like this, depending on age among other things, but I have seen Brett Farve's whole career, the MVP highs, to late-game turnover lows and there is no way I would put him ahead of any of the other three by any measure beyond statistics. No doubt he is an all time great and first ballot HOF, but he was not a better football player than Elway, didn't throw a better ball than Marino, and didn't possess Brady's intangibles... in my opinion

How would you tweak this list? My personal favorite is Marino; just a beautiful passer of the football, but I think Elway had the most complete package and I'd put him at the top of any list of quarterbacks behind Montana and maybe Unitas.

Thoughts?
From a pure ability standpoint, Elway was the best I have ever seen. He's been #1 on my QB list for a while. Which is tough to say since he ripped the heart from my team year after year.

Walter Jones should be on the list, not sure Warren Sapp is a Top 100 of all time player.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
From a pure ability standpoint, Elway was the best I have ever seen. He's been #1 on my QB list for a while. Which is tough to say since he ripped the heart from my team year after year.

Walter Jones should be on the list, not sure Warren Sapp is a Top 100 of all time player.
Hit the nail on the head. Elway is the best I've ever seen.

Hate to do the whole QB battle again, but for me, it's Elway/Montana/Marino/Manning/Brady (for who I've seen)
Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

My bad if this subject has been rehashed. I was thinking of a thread on the 100 period, but how about the top 25?

Quote:
bkrich83
As far as Sapp, I'm just comparing him against his contemporaries who are on the list. Strahan comes in at 99, Tony Gonzalez at 45, Jonathan Ogden at 72, and Derrick Brooks at 97.

Now with Walter, maybe he is in the top 10. Holmgren did say that he was the best offensive player he ever coached, but that may be wishful thinking. Odgen is on the list, Anthony Munoz is #11 (which I don't have a problem with) and Larry Allen is there... Walter Jones has got to be there somewhere.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Here is #11-#25 and a link to the full list: http://top100.nfl.com/

Just a few of the things that stick out. I like 11-19, but I think Barry Sanders is a bit low. Also, looking at the list in its entirety, Troy Aikman #80 and Michael Irvin #92 are too low.

Any guesses as to what number Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor will show up at?

11 17Lott, RonnieDB49ers198114 seasons
Draft vote Ronnie Lott
  • Ronnie Lott DB
  • Drafted: 1981, Round 1, Pick 8
  • Career: 14 seasons, 192 games
  • Notes: A ferocious tackler, Lott anchored the 49ers' first four Super Bowl teams and he finished his career with 63 INTs, adding an NFL-record nine more in the playoffs. Lott made 10 Pro Bowls at three positions (CB FS, SS).
Hall of Famer

NFL RankRankNamePositionTeamFirst YearStatusCareerWatch
1280Munoz, AnthonyTBengals198012 seasons
Draft vote Anthony Munoz
  • Anthony Munoz T
  • Drafted: 1980, Round 1, Pick 3
  • Career: 13 seasons, 185 games
  • Notes: Munoz was a fixture at left tackle for the Bengals for 13 seasons, beginning with his rookie campaign. His 11 Pro Bowls (all consecutive) were the most by an NFL player at the time of Munoz's retirement (1992).
Hall of Famer

1329Greene, JoeDTSteelers196912 seasons
Draft vote Joe Greene
  • Joe Greene DT
  • Drafted: 1969, Round 1, Pick 4
  • Career: 13 seasons, 181 games
  • Notes: The leader of the “Steel Curtain” defense of the 1970s, Greene was a disruptive force who dominated foes. He had strength and determination, and twice he was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1972, 1974).
Hall of Famer

1474Baugh, SammyQBRedskins193722 seasons
Draft vote Sammy Baugh
  • Sammy Baugh QB
  • Drafted: 1937, Round 1, Pick 6
  • Career: 16 seasons, 165 games
  • Notes: An accurate thrower, Baugh's passing ability helped change the game. He won a record six NFL passing titles, while also setting marks as a punter and defensive back. He led the NFL in passing, punting and INTs in 1943.
Hall of Famer

1543Jones, DeaconDERams196113 seasons
Draft vote Deacon Jones
  • Deacon Jones DE
  • Drafted: 1961, Round 14, Pick 186
  • Career: 14 seasons, 191 games
  • Notes: Jones came out of almost nowhere and blossomed into a dominating pass rusher at defensive end. Jones missed just five games in 14 NFL campaigns and was selected to play in eight Pro Bowls, including seven in a row.
Hall of Famer

1675Graham, OttoQBBrowns194412 seasons
Draft vote Otto Graham
  • Otto Graham QB
  • Drafted: 1944, Round 1, Pick 4
  • Career: 12 seasons, 126 games
  • Notes: The consummate leader, Graham played four years in the AAFC and six in the NFL, and he guided the Browns to the league title game in each of them. He passed for 174 touchdowns and ran for 44.
Hall of Famer

174Sanders, BarryRBLions198910 seasons
Draft vote Barry Sanders
  • Barry Sanders RB
  • Drafted: 1989, Round 1, Pick 3
  • Career: 10 seasons, 153 games
  • Notes: One of the most electrifying runners until his surprise retirement after 10 seasons, Sanders smashed the record books despite being the Lions' only real weapon. He was the first player to have five 1,500-yard seasons.
Hall of Famer

1816Lewis, RayLBRavens1996Active11 seasons
Draft vote Ray Lewis
  • Ray Lewis LB
  • Drafted: 1996, Round 1, Pick 26
  • Career: 14 seasons, 194 games
  • Notes: Lewis is an intimidating linebacker with the ability to change a game with his aggressive play. Twice he was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year (2000, 2003) and he also took home MVP honors for Super Bowl XXXV.
Active

19-Nagurski, BronkoFBBears193014 seasons
Draft vote Bronko Nagurski
  • Bronko Nagurski FB
  • Undrafted
  • Career: 14 seasons, 97 games
  • Notes: The legendary Nagurski's reputation as a bulldozing runner, fierce blocker, and rugged linebacker survives 80 years after he made his NFL debut. A charter member of the Hall of Fame, he helped the Bears win three titles.
Hall of Famer

206Favre, BrettQBPackers1991Active17 seasons
Draft vote Brett Favre
  • Brett Favre QB
  • Drafted: 1991, Round 2, Pick 33
  • Career: 19 seasons, 289 games
  • Notes: The first player to be named MVP three straight years, Favre is the all-time leader in almost every passing category, including yards (69,329) and TDs (497). He broke Jim Marshall's mark for consecutive starts at any position.
Active

2120Brady, TomQBPatriots2000Active10 seasons
Draft vote Tom Brady
  • Tom Brady QB
  • Drafted: 2000, Round 6, Pick 199
  • Career: 10 seasons, 129 games
  • Notes: Brady ranks among the best in the NFL ever, having assaulted the record books in his 10 years in the league en route to leading the Pats to three Super Bowl wins in four years and a perfect 2007 regular season.
Active

2226Sayers, GaleRBBears19655 seasons
Draft vote Gale Sayers
  • Gale Sayers RB
  • Drafted: 1965, Round 1, Pick 4
  • Career: 7 seasons, 68 games
  • Notes: The Hall's youngest inductee (34), the "Kansas Comet" burned out far too early due to injury. A dynamic runner and kick returner, Sayers danced through defenders for 9,435 combined net yards in just 68 games.
Hall of Famer

238Elway, JohnQBBroncos198316 seasons
Draft vote John Elway
  • John Elway QB
  • Drafted: 1983, Round 1, Pick 1
  • Career: 16 seasons, 234 games
  • Notes: Elway's cannon arm and football savvy produced 51,475 passing yards and a remarkable 47 fourth-quarter comebacks. He capped his 16-year career by leading the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl victories.
Hall of Famer

24-Hannah, JohnGPatriots197313 seasons
Draft vote John Hannah
  • John Hannah G
  • Drafted: 1973, Round 1, Pick 4
  • Career: 13 seasons, 183 games
  • Notes: Hannah was a top guard in the NFL, earning Pro Bowl status nine times. A fierce blocker, he was the anchor of a talented front line that paved the way for the Pats to pile up a then-record 3,165 yards rushing in 1978.
Hall of Famer

257Marino, DanQBDolphins198316 seasons

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 10-30-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm a little suprised that Brady is that high on the list already, no doubt that'd he finished his career around that tho.

I'm assuming that Montana and Manning are the next 2 QBs on the list.

I guess Rickey Jackson won't end up anywhere on this list oh well
Old 10-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Ronnie Lott, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor and Ray Lewis are easily the best defensive players I have ever seen, for my money.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
My bad if this subject has been rehashed. I was thinking of a thread on the 100 period, but how about the top 25?

As far as Sapp, I'm just comparing him against his contemporaries who are on the list. Strahan comes in at 99, Tony Gonzalez at 45, Jonathan Ogden at 72, and Derrick Brooks at 97.

Now with Walter, maybe he is in the top 10. Holmgren did say that he was the best offensive player he ever coached, but that may be wishful thinking. Odgen is on the list, Anthony Munoz is #11 (which I don't have a problem with) and Larry Allen is there... Walter Jones has got to be there somewhere.

Imo, Munoz is bar none the greatest offensive lineman to ever play. That being said, I think Jones is in the conversation with Munoz and Allen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »