Home

NFL Could Change How It Seeds Playoff Teams Starting in 2011.

This is a discussion on NFL Could Change How It Seeds Playoff Teams Starting in 2011. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #25
Pro

sycodmn's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NFL Could Change How It Seeds Playoff Teams Starting in 2011.

Division doesn't mean much, anyway. Oakland has a very good chance of being undefeated in the AFC West, and may not be division champions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #26

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I too am opposed to them changing the structure they currently have.

It may not work ideally every year (or for years in a row) but these things tend to work themselves out and I do think winning your division should mean something.

And besides that, if a better 11-5 team has to go on the road in the opening round against an 8-8 home team shouldn't they be expected to take care of business anyway? To me, that's on them if they lose, not because they are playing on the road.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #27
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
Not sure how it would work with the schedule but I like this idea.
You play 10 division games, and assuming they go to the 18 game schedule, you rotate between playing groups of 4 teams from the old divisions. What you lose is the 2 positional games. I'm not saying it would work out that great, but it's just an idea.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #28
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
You play 10 division games, and assuming they go to the 18 game schedule, you rotate between playing groups of 4 teams from the old divisions. What you lose is the 2 positional games. I'm not saying it would work out that great, but it's just an idea.
Going with an AFC West/AFC East and NFC West/NFC East set up and using an AFC West team you play everyone in the AFC West division once. That's 7 games. You could then play the positional games from the AFC East/NFC West/NFC East because I like the positional game idea. That's 10 games. Then play 4 other AFC East games, 2 NFC East games and 2 NFC West games. That's 18. With 7 coming from the AFC West, 5 from the AFC East and 6 coming from the NFC (3 West/3 East). I might have hurt my face typing this but I think its works out.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #29
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp
An 8-8 team "winning" a division = taking care of business

A 12-4 team not winning a division = not taking care of business

Got it.

Spoiler
Seriously...The 12-win team will still have the extra round/game to get to the SB but at least they are rewarded for the regular season with a home playoff game. If an 9-7 NFC West division winner plays @ 11-5 NFC East wild-card team I see no problem with that.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #30
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Wow, so this is something that not reasonable, but things like dumping divisions and decades long rivalries and clumping teams into new large divisions is? If you preserve the division schedule then what's the point of clumping them together? Winning your division = playoffs.

This is overdue, this along with the second half of the season schedule being division-heavy will minimize throwaway games by teams who have clinched spots, and instead will be working to keep their spot in the playoff hunt.

This isn't an overreaction to a bad division, the NFC West is just this years poster child for a change that has been suggested a number of times in the past handful of seasons.

Last edited by mestevo; 12-16-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #31
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Actually, my idea would preserve the home and home with the current divisions and spawn some new secondary rivalries with the division teams you play once a year (alternate home and away each season). It's kind of like having two divisions in one. Like I said, just an idea. I wouldn't even like my own idea that much after actually thinking it through.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #32
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

I don't think winning a division means anything when you are in a division that doesn't have a team with a winning record. Why should an 11-5 or 10-6 team miss the playoffs just because they play in a division with the best team in football.

The NFL should just give the 6 best teams in each conference a playoff spot and seed them by record.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »