Home

Competition Committee Nonsense

This is a discussion on Competition Committee Nonsense within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #41
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Competition Committee Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
The defender's 1st job is to prevent the catch. Not make a tackle after the fact. The NFL wants to bring tackling back into the game. Fine, but let's be honest here. These changes are designed to push offense even more. Offensive PI is never called and on the occasion when it is called it is a 10 yard penalty but defensive PI is a spot foul?!?!?

A 5 yard illegal contact penalty results in an automatic 1st down?
Tom Brady can demand a penalty and the Ref will oblige?

What's next? "In an effort to slow the speed of collisions, all defensive players will be required to wear 20 lbs in ankle weights at all times."

Now they want defensive players to not hit the QB in the act of throwing? Let me guess it would be a 15 yard penalty. The league has sifted it priorities to scoring while punishing defenses and it is what it is, but lets not act like we are naive to the fact.

All topics worthy of discussion, but the NFL is working on making the game safer, and taking the 'im just going to knock him out' out of pass defense is one of those things. Play defense, that's how you prevent a catch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #42
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
All topics worthy of discussion, but the NFL is working on making the game safer, and taking the 'im just going to knock him out' out of pass defense is one of those things. Play defense, that's how you prevent a catch.
Problem is you already can't even look at a receiver without getting a PI call. Next best option is to hit him as he's catching the ball. If you take that away then I honestly don't know how you play pass defense.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #43
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
Problem is you already can't even look at a receiver without getting a PI call. Next best option is to hit him as he's catching the ball. If you take that away then I honestly don't know how you play pass defense.
Nnamdi Asomugha wasn't thrown at only 22 times last year because he hits hard, he actually plays defense, rather than wack-a-receiver. If your players can't play defense, then they have to learn to tackle after the catch while the team works on replacing them with players that can.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #44
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

Quote:
Nnamdi Asomugha wasn't thrown at only 22 times last year because he hits hard, he actually plays defense, rather than wack-a-receiver. If your players can't play defense, then they have to learn to tackle after the catch while the team works on replacing them with players that can.
Nnamdi and Revis are world class. Totally unfair standard.

When did hitting a reciever become bad defense? Hits that break up plays are a HUGE part of the sport. If you can make a receiver scared to go over the middle (alligator arms) you've accomplished a lot. Taking that out of the game hurts the game. I just can't see it another way.

psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #45
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
Nnamdi and Revis are world class. Totally unfair standard.

When did hitting a reciever become bad defense? Hits that break up plays are a HUGE part of the sport. If you can make a receiver scared to go over the middle (alligator arms) you've accomplished a lot. Taking that out of the game hurts the game. I just can't see it another way.
The game is full of players who are stronger and faster than the game has ever seen, it's not the same as it once was, for player safety things have to change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #46
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

Quote:
The game is full of players who are stronger and faster than the game has ever seen, it's not the same as it once was, for player safety things have to change.
I hear you. But how much can you change before the fundamental core of the game is altered? I think if these rules get passed then we're changing the games principles. The only thing wrong with football is football. No amount of tinkering can change that.

psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #47
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I don't get why things cant just be left the same.

There's enough variation in the league on any given week to suit all different tastes. I enjoy a Steelers/Ravens game just as much as I enjoy a Colts/Texans game.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #48
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I don't get why things cant just be left the same.

There's enough variation in the league on any given week to suit all different tastes. I enjoy a Steelers/Ravens game just as much as I enjoy a Colts/Texans game.
Agreed, I hate these changes because its going to be harder to see a Steelers/Ravens game. I hope the players hold out against these ridiculous rule changes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »