Home

The Peyton Manning Discussion thread

This is a discussion on The Peyton Manning Discussion thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #65
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: So if Peyton Manning gets injured....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I don't think Cutler was on the board when they picked but could be wrong on that. Thanking my lucky stars now, but I don't think BB would've passed on Cutler. With that said, that was the year Lewis made national stink about not having the big bodies in front of him so Ngata was really the ONLY pick bc Ray had to be happy.

BTW, at the time they hadn't given up on Boller. They just thought McNair was a better option for a potential SB team. Even when they did draft Flacco, the plan was for Boller to start with Troy Smith being the backup and Flacco as the 3rd stringer. Boller got hurt, Smith got sick at the worse possible time and the rest is history.

I'll go back to the other "what if" though. What if McNair stayed in TEN and started his last two years there (or one of them and stuck around as a VY back up in the other). VY could've been a perfect McNair clone, may have been more mature being directly under his wing, and the relationship between VY and Fisher could've been bridged.
I'm not sure that a McNair-VY combo would have ever been possible. I was sort of hoping for that, as were a lot of other Titans fans, but the money we spent on VY pretty much priced us out of making a deal with McNair. We probably would have had 25% of our salary cap tied up at one position if we had kept both, and we just weren't in a position to do that. The addition of VY was sort of the catalyst in getting McNair moved.

Now if we could have signed VY at a "rookie wage scale" price, it's possible that we could have also kept McNair. I guess things would turned out better for VY, I mean, it would definitely have been the ideal scenario. McNair was like a father to VY. But then again, I'm not sure if VY ever had the work ethic to succeed in the NFL.

But I think drafting a replacement for McNair is very different than drafting a replacement for Manning. McNair was constantly getting injured and missing games, so his "heir" would have been getting significant playtime as a backup. Manning never gets injured, so his "heir" would just hold the clipboard and eat popcorn on the sidelines for 3 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #66
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71
I'm not sure that a McNair-VY combo would have ever been possible. I was sort of hoping for that, as were a lot of other Titans fans, but the money we spent on VY pretty much priced us out of making a deal with McNair. We probably would have had 25% of our salary cap tied up at one position if we had kept both, and we just weren't in a position to do that. The addition of VY was sort of the catalyst in getting McNair moved.

Now if we could have signed VY at a "rookie wage scale" price, it's possible that we could have also kept McNair. I guess things would turned out better for VY, I mean, it would definitely have been the ideal scenario. McNair was like a father to VY. But then again, I'm not sure if VY ever had the work ethic to succeed in the NFL.

But I think drafting a replacement for McNair is very different than drafting a replacement for Manning. McNair was constantly getting injured and missing games, so his "heir" would have been getting significant playtime as a backup. Manning never gets injured, so his "heir" would just hold the clipboard and eat popcorn on the sidelines for 3 years.
If McNair accepted that he was on his last leg and took a pay cut it could've happened also. I'm not blaming him for not feeling that way or doing that... I'm sure I would've felt the same as he did. Plus it seemed like they got a little ugly when trying to sort things out. You may be right about VY but I think we'll find out soon enough. I can see being a back up (to Vick of all people) in Philly (of all places) being the perfect situation for him. If he doesn't seem to progress in the next year or two then it's all on him.

That's true about Manning not getting hurt but the offense is also completely on his shoulders while McNair was just an important piece in their offense. Painter may be just holding a clip board but Luck behind Manning would be learning... a lot. I'm curious to see what happens with Mallett. I think that'll be a good example of what this hypothetical could look like (even though the Pats aren't quite like the Colts and Luck looks like a better prospect than Mallett).
Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #67
MVP

skydog71's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
If McNair accepted that he was on his last leg and took a pay cut it could've happened also. I'm not blaming him for not feeling that way or doing that... I'm sure I would've felt the same as he did. Plus it seemed like they got a little ugly when trying to sort things out. You may be right about VY but I think we'll find out soon enough. I can see being a back up (to Vick of all people) in Philly (of all places) being the perfect situation for him. If he doesn't seem to progress in the next year or two then it's all on him.

That's true about Manning not getting hurt but the offense is also completely on his shoulders while McNair was just an important piece in their offense. Painter may be just holding a clip board but Luck behind Manning would be learning... a lot. I'm curious to see what happens with Mallett. I think that'll be a good example of what this hypothetical could look like (even though the Pats aren't quite like the Colts and Luck looks like a better prospect than Mallett).
Drafting a QB in the 3rd round (like the Pats did with Mallet) would be an awesome move by the Colts. I just don't like the idea of using the #1 overall pick to replace your team's best player several years before he is ready to retire.

I'm also interested to see how things play out in Philly. It really is a perfect situation for VY.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #68
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0

Well this is going to become a reality now as it looks like hes gone for the year
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #69
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
The good news for Colts fans? According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, a new procedure/surgery on quarterback Peyton Manning’s neck has not been performed nor is plan.
The bad news? Here are the key words from Mort: “As of now.”
Mort says that Manning is “getting multiple opinions” and “still waiting for answers on slow progress.”
Mort also offered up an ominous but vague assessment of Manning’s availability for Week One against the Texans. Pointing out that the Colts didn’t believe Manning would be ready for the opener upon signing quarterback Kerry Collins, Mort now says that “[b]arring [a] miracle, that’s more evident.”
As to Manning’s status and the slow recovery following the May procedure, Mortensen writes that “[o]ne possibility is scar tissue trapping inflammation/nerves,” but that there is “no consensus” among the doctors who are on the case.
Bottom line? It’s looking more and more like Manning won’t play in Week One. The bigger question at this point is whether he’ll be available come Week Two, and beyond.
12345678910loko
Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #70
#nouss

WyxHarmon's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbler
Well this is going to become a reality now as it looks like hes gone for the year

Ravens

73 - 72
Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #71
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Can't believe the Colts were so eager to pay Peyton Manning this offseason.

If he can't recover from this the Colts will be bottom feeders for years, and it's all on them.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-05-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #72
MVP

xrams's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Can't believe the Colts were so eager to pay Peyton Manning this offseason.

If he can't recover from this the Colts will be bottom feeders for years, and it's all on them.
I agree with this completely... I can't understand why they threw all that money at him when they knew he was hurt...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »