Home

Al Davis Passes Away

This is a discussion on Al Davis Passes Away within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Al Davis Passes Away

Not a Raiders fan by any means, and in fact I was right there with some cracking jokes about him and his team recently.

But it's still sad anytime a team loses their owner, and losing someone as iconic as Al is even worse. I remember when the Browns lost Al Lerner; I didn't care for the snide remarks I read elsewhere. So I'll pay the proper respects here.

Question now is, what happens next? Davis was the GM and owner, is there someone ready to take over the reigns?

Also, during the Raiders last SB win, (1984), the famous Apple Macintosh commercial ran. Ironic.....

RIP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #42
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC
Sven what are you talking about

68-25 in the 60's
100-38 in the 70's won 1 super bowl
87-63 in the 80's won 2 super bowls
82-74 in the 90's winning record
2000's yes a bad record but what 3 division titles and made a super bowl. I'm sure a lot of teams would love to have that 1 super bowl appearance. Like possibly the Chargers, Chiefs, Broncos and numerous other teams.

Winning record every decade but 1, and in the one with a losing record still had a team go to the Super Bowl.

Great owner and pioneer in the league. He will be greatly missed.
As a chiefs fan, no, I wouldn't want to have a coach build my team into a success, then have the owner trade that coach away only to have that coach embarrass my team the following year in one of the most lopsided super bowls ever.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #43
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

A sad day for the Raider Nation to be sure. Mr. Davis was a legend of the game and is deserving of nothing but respect.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #44
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
All this love for a guy who had one good decade followed by 3 pathetic ones. The most overrated person in sports history. If I were a Raiders fan I'd be glad he is finally gone. Maybe they can stop being irrelevant now.
What the?

JoeC covered the record aspect of it but I think my obituary will help you gain some perspective:

First of all I just woke up so when I saw this on the MSN home page I was shocked beyond belief. Yes I know he's had some very tough ailments through the last few years particularly a real bad case of arthritis which made him look like death warmed over but he just seemed like an immortal figure. Maybe the writing was on the wall when Al wasn't at the season opener in Buffalo. It was the first time in his ownership of the Raiders that he wasn't with the team.

If you take away the last decade (actually there are a couple things in this decade that were positive like the hiring of the youngest coach ever and giving the reigns to a black coach which sadly is still somewhat novel though not nearly as much as it once was) Al Davis was the most bad ***, rebel owner in sports rivaling Charlie O. Finley (but more dedicated to winning and not as cheap) and Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. (but actually knowing the game inside and out) We talk about "Swagger" well Al Davis had it before anyone else even thought of the word in the context of sports. There was an air of confidence about him that bled over to the Raiders organization that bordered on arrogance but it was something to be respected.

Al Davis did so many things for the game of football that it'd take a good sized book to delve into them deeply. Davis was a protege of Sid Gillman which birthed the Raiders famous vertical passing game. For decades the Raiders were a team you knew exactly what to expect offensively but you couldn't stop them. They'd chuck the ball deep and have a strong running game that would wear down defenses. Davis didn't care if players were head cases or had bad attitudes with other teams he'd bring those guys over to the Raiders and have only one rule, that you go out there every Sunday and lay it all on the line for the Raiders. Of course it didn't hurt that he hired a young head coach who was the direct descendent of the modern day player's coach and would let guys be themselves as long as they were all business on the football field.

Al Davis was instrumental in the AFL/NFL merger and he was his own man when he became an owner in the NFL. He didn't give a damn about what Pete Rozelle was doing for the most part when he wanted things done his way. It was Al Davis who challenged the system by being the first NFL owner to move his team and his legal battle against the NFL paved the way to make it easier for owners in other sports to do so as well.

Davis was also historically a key person when it came to CBA dealings. He was the main man with the '91 CBA which was basically the working agreement for 10-15 years in the NFL.

Last but not least the man was an innovator he hired the first latino coach (Tom Flores) the first black coach (Art Shell) the youngest coach in the league TWICE (Gruden and Kiffin) Davis was a man who knew the ins and outs of the game and brought in some great players to build upon the "Raider Mystique". Like the Bears when you played with the Raiders you had to be tough, never back down from a fight and yes, sometimes be an instigator but in the end you had to have the skill to back up the trash talk and the fighting.

Al Davis may be a punchline these days but he was one of the greatest owners in sports and in these days of corporate ownership and parsing your words for the media there'll never be another like him.

JUST WIN BABY!

R.I.P. Al Davis

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 10-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #45
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Not a Raiders fan by any means, and in fact I was right there with some cracking jokes about him and his team recently.

But it's still sad anytime a team loses their owner, and losing someone as iconic as Al is even worse. I remember when the Browns lost Al Lerner; I didn't care for the snide remarks I read elsewhere. So I'll pay the proper respects here.

Question now is, what happens next? Davis was the GM and owner, is there someone ready to take over the reigns?

Also, during the Raiders last SB win, (1984), the famous Apple Macintosh commercial ran. Ironic.....

RIP
I think Amy Trask, the CEO of the team, is probably going to take most of the power now. As far as who will be the true 'owner', I don't know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #46
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

RIP Mr. Davis.
The guy was a legend.
Stay Strong Nation.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #47
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
I think Amy Trask, the CEO of the team, is probably going to take most of the power now. As far as who will be the true 'owner', I don't know.
Mark Davis is going to take over, but he is not anywhere near the dynamic figure that his father was.

There has been speculation that John Madden and\or Ron Wolf would assist in the short term, and help the family transition into a new mode of football operations.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #48
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Without him, the Raiders and the NFL are a less interesting place.

RIP Al Davis. Ya crazy Bahstud.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »