Home

James Harrison Suspended 1 Game for Hit On McCoy

This is a discussion on James Harrison Suspended 1 Game for Hit On McCoy within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34
Even when they tackle properly they are still getting flags throw on them

Sent from Jesus EVO
Old 12-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: James Harrison Suspended 1 Game for Hit On McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
He was going to make contact with McCoy's head no matter what he did. That is why I hate the rule, because if a QB is the same height as the defender, unless the defender lowers his head, they will always make contact. He lowered his head, but didn't go low enough to avoid hitting his head.

You can't make a wrap up tackle because you will hit his head because you are similar heights.
You can't lead with your head if you go to the ribs, but your head will always lead when you try to go low so you have a small window to make the hit with the shoulder.
You also can't tackle the legs of a QB.

You basically have to bend over enough so that you are shorter than the QB, but also not so much that you are leading with your helmet. Sucks to be a defender now.
What you just described is called getting in the proper defensive stance. It's really an "athletic stance" since you're pretty much taught to get in that position for any sport. What you just wrote would make more sense if the QB was shorter than him but being the same height and hitting in the head just backs the idea that he doesn't tackle properly.

Not to mention, he could definitely lead with his shoulder.

They just showed the hits he's been fined for, and some were clearly a bit touchy and had to do with statements he made before those games (at least 2). If you watch them and then watch the hit on McCoy, I can't see how you can't see this last one was a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
To me, Clark and other defensive backs are a lot easier to defend in these situations because their hits tend to happen a lot quicker and are more boom-boom kind of plays.
Generally speaking, that's true. But Clark has also repeatedly blindly launched his helmet into too many players, and usually defenseless WRs catching floating balls (situations that aren't really bang bang). They need to watch Troy tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAM-IncReDiBLe-

Sent from Jesus EVO
When that happens we can talk about it. That's not the case here. I think what's more telling is how many defenders in the league are NOT getting flagged despite this rule applying to everyone. Apparently it is possible to play this game under these rules and Harrison just refuses to do it.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #19
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

I'd have tossed him out on his *** for good already. Well one less dirty Steeler to worry about causing an injury on monday.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
The Living Legend

LivingLegend's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm so sick of the "you can't change angles" argument. If he wasn't leading with his head to begin with(which is why the hit was deemed illegal) he wouldn't of had to change angles.

I don't know about any of you, but if you played football at ANY level please tell me of one coach that taught you how to tackle like that.
Chicago Blackhawks
Old 12-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAM-IncReDiBLe-

Sent from Jesus EVO
Based on what exactly?

14 Steelers credited with 46 tackles and 24 assists in the game.

2 of them were personal fouls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Based on what exactly?

14 Steelers credited with 46 tackles and 24 assists in the game.

2 of them were personal fouls.
Questionable flags are being thrown for hits though out the NFL.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Questionable flags are being thrown for hits though out the NFL.
That doesn't really do anything to dispute the implication that even if you tackle properly you will be flagged. Humans are throwing the flags, calls will be missed, bad calls at the time will be made. More often than not, they've been correct IMO, and Harrison even today shows that he will have to be 'processed' (like one of those employees at work that's a cancer) out of the league.

So because you might be flagged for a normal players should feel free to tee off and make sure flags are deserved? Oh Please.

PFT just posted this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-way-he-plays/

Quote:
Harrison had a conversation with former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis, who said on ESPN’s NFL Live that Harrison told him he’s going to keep playing the way he has always played, despite the league office cracking down on him for his head shot on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy.

“He told me he can’t,” Bettis said when asked if Harrison would change the way he plays.

Bettis said Harrison doesn’t think he did anything wrong when he hit McCoy, and that he could have hurt McCoy a lot worse if he had wanted to.

“He told me that it was laughable that this was the case — it wasn’t a funny situation but it’s laughable that he would get suspended over what he felt was a very, very small incident,” Bettis said. “In his words, ‘If I would have really hit him I would have close to knocked him out.’”

Asked if Harrison is likely to keep getting in trouble for helmet-to-helmet hits, Bettis answered, “Absolutely.”

“James said that he’s concerned this will happen again and then there will be a larger suspension,” Bettis said, “But he said to me, ‘I’m not going to worry about it. I’m going to play my game. If they suspend me they suspend me, but I’m not going to change the way I play football.’”
He just doesn't get it.

One thing is for sure, this hit is not questionable, I am sure people will keep deflecting to hypotheticals though.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Honestly he didn't try to TACKLE him, instead he tried to lower the BOOM on him. People can blame ESPN for their culture of top 10 plays highlight reel.

Because that is exactly what players be doing in ALL leagues nowadays, trying to make the highlight reel on ESPN.

Players are more interested in big hits then actually making the tackle. And Harrison more often then not, is more interested in making a big hit. Everybody knows full well you can't lead with your helmet and they know full well you can't give a forearm shot to the face mask either.

Look at that play over and over. He purposely lowered his head only to hit him the face with the top of his helmet. Didn't try to wrap him up or anything. Basically was like a standing spear hit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »