Home

LaDainian Tomlinson to announce retirement

This is a discussion on LaDainian Tomlinson to announce retirement within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #33
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDOgF0reL1fe
So sad to see him go, but happy to see him leave as a charger.

I have 3 LT jerseys, and can't wait to rep them as "old school"
My favorite LT jersey is my 2006 PRO Bowl jersey. I have to go dig it out, but I think I am gonna wear it this weekend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #34
MVP

WDOgF0reL1fe's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: LaDainian Tomlinson to announce retirement

This is my fav.
Alt all black one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215701_1026793103866_9730_n.jpg (25.5 KB, 96 views)

Follow me on Twitter yeah.
@WillSoistman
Dibs: Jennifer Aniston

"Success isn't earned, it's leased. Rent is due every damn day.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #35
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Yeah LT was a beast...unquestionably the best HB in the NFL in his prime. There were some good backs in the league too...Jamal Lewis, Ahmad Green, Fred Taylor, Shaun Alexander, Priest Holmes, etc....but LT was a notch above
It was a great era for RB's. Clinton Portis, Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin, Edgerin James, etc on top of the guys you named.

God, Priest Holmes used to devour the Chargers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #36
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
It was a great era for RB's. Clinton Portis, Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin, Edgerin James, etc on top of the guys you named.

God, Priest Holmes used to devour the Chargers.
You're right, it was a great era. Lookin back, I think i took it all for granted as a fan. Even had Bettis and Marshall Faulk still hangin around
Old 06-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #37
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Anyway, I guess he gets in the hall of fame under stats, but not a first round ballet for me.
Spoiler
Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #38
Banned

DukeC's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

Anyway, I guess he gets in the hall of fame under stats, but not a first round ballet for me. He has skills, I'm not saying he doesn't, but I think he should be thanking Marty who built a team and line that gave him more then he would have gotten on his own.
5th All time in rushing yards.

3rd in total touchdowns in NFL History.

I respectfully disagree with the notion he is not a first ballot hall of famer.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
LT was a good back. IMO, he had those amazing great years because of Coach Marty Shottenheimer. Marty has always known how to get his team to run the ball well and draft talent to do so....byner, marcus allen/okoye, and Tomlinson/Michael Turner to name some off the top of my head.

I actually thought Michael Turner would have ran for more yards and better average then Tomlinson back in those years, but Turner wouldn't have probably had the receiving yards.

Tomlinson has been going down hill since 2008's season(first of Norv Turner) and IMO it showed he was as much of a product of Marty's talents as his own. Just look at Earnest Byner. Yes, byner still had skills in Washington, but was no where near what he was in Cleveland under Marty. Minus "the fumble" Byner was one of the very top backs easily in the Marty years at Cleveland. As was Kevin Mack, a fullback who managed 1000 yard season under Marty! Marty made his backs look really good!

Anyway, I guess he gets in the hall of fame under stats, but not a first round ballet for me. He has skills, I'm not saying he doesn't, but I think he should be thanking Marty who built a team and line that gave him more then he would have gotten on his own.
So I guess Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were only good because of Bill Walsh?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #40
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
LT was a good back. IMO, he had those amazing great years because of Coach Marty Shottenheimer. Marty has always known how to get his team to run the ball well and draft talent to do so....byner, marcus allen/okoye, and Tomlinson/Michael Turner to name some off the top of my head.

I actually thought Michael Turner would have ran for more yards and better average then Tomlinson back in those years, but Turner wouldn't have probably had the receiving yards.

Tomlinson has been going down hill since 2008's season(first of Norv Turner) and IMO it showed he was as much of a product of Marty's talents as his own. Just look at Earnest Byner. Yes, byner still had skills in Washington, but was no where near what he was in Cleveland under Marty. Minus "the fumble" Byner was one of the very top backs easily in the Marty years at Cleveland. As was Kevin Mack, a fullback who managed 1000 yard season under Marty! Marty made his backs look really good!

Did you just compare LT to Earnest Byner and Kevin Mack?

Schottenheimer didn't draft Tomlinson, John Butler did. Schottenheimer had relatively little input on player personnel decisions (otherwise Drew Brees would still be in San Diego).

Earnest Byner had 1 year under Marty where he rushed for 1,000 yards (1002 yards). His best year statistically was in Washington actually (1219 yards) and he eclipsed 1000 yards a grand total of 3 times. His career rushing average was 3.9 ypc.

Kevin Mack eclipsed 1000 yards once in his career.

Marcus Allen was a great back, but he never got to 900 yards under Marty and never put up anywhere near the numbers Tomlinson did while playing under Marty.
There's no merit to this argument.

Yes his numbers had started to decline in 2008 but that was due to injury more than coaching. He was 29 years old and had 7 straight seasons with over 400 touches per year. That's about what you would expect.

Marty Schottenheimer himself had said and I quote

"I believe with a certainty, in my opinion, he is the finest running back I have ever seen in professional football," Schottenheimer said. "And I know people say: 'Well what about Jim Brown? And what about Gale Sayers?' That's all well and good, but I tell you what, in the era that we're in now where you have defensive linemen that weigh 300 pounds and run 4.75 and these mammoth guys that are playing linebacker, I think with a certainty, in my opinion, he is the finest running back that I have ever seen."

On another occasion
"He is the finest running back to ever wear an NFL uniform," Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said. Tomlinson even received praise from other stadiums Sunday.

"You run out of superlatives with LaDainian Tomlinson. I don't know what else to say -- and I'm an English major."

Is he the greatest RB of all time? My vote goes to Payton, followed by Sanders. But Tomlinson is certainly in the conversation. He's a no doubter as a first ballot HOF'er.

Last edited by bkrich83; 06-19-2012 at 03:09 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »