Home

Who will be the best team in the NFC next year?

This is a discussion on Who will be the best team in the NFC next year? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #33
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Who will be the best team in the NFC next year?

Spoiler
Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #34
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I worry about Gore's durability as well. How much tread does he have left on the tires? He's never been super durable to begin with (Just two seasons with 16 games played) and he now has almost 1700 rushes. Age 29 and 2000 rushes is about the point where RB's start to show their age imo.

Statistically he splits show he wore down last year.

First 8 games, 782 yards, 4.9 ypc, 5 td
Last 8 games, 429 yards, 3.5 ypc, 3 td
That's true as well, not to mention Hunter and James both seem to be faster change of pace backs not guys to carry the loads.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34
Curious as to why people think the Falcons will fall off. Plenty of people thought it last season also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feared
I would say San Fransisco proved they can win games with their Defense, and Special Teams while asking Alex Smith not to lose it; last year.

Offensively they ran a lot of gadget/trickery type plays, reverses, throwbacks to try and get their "Shot" plays in, but the bulk of what Alex Smith had to do was take care of the football, and not commit turnovers while getting the ball to Vernon Davis.

Which he did very well no doubt, but I don't think that will fly in the future teams are going to adjust bracketing Vernon Davis, holding him up at the line with inside/out coverage, and will force Alex Smith to make plays to beat them vertically on the outside.

I think if the 49ers are to make the next leap up and compete and overtake teams like the Packers, and Giants in the Playoffs when everything is on the line they need Alex Smith to rise up into the upper echelon of QBs and show he can carry the Offense week in, and week out. (I do think the Saints game was an aberration, and not the norm of what to expect from him until he proves otherwise.)
That is patently false and tells me that you watched few, if any, 49ers games last year. They ran 1 of the most vanilla offenses around, out of necessity. They were put right behind the 8 ball offensively with a new coaching staff and no real training camp to incorporate the new scheme. They ran a ton of 2 TE sets and would run the ball out of this formation and try to set up PA. They weren't running wildcat and flea flickers. Old fashioned west coast offense: slants, stick routes and drags mainly.

Did you ever consider the terrible coaching that Alex had to endure EVERY year of his career until last year? Is it possible that he just needed a certain level of competency to be an effective player, like he was last year? I'm not saying he's Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning, but he's not garbage, like 99% of people act like he is. He was the #1 pick in the draft for a reason. He's talented and I'm pretty confident that people will realize this since the 49ers will be on national TV so often this year.
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

Last edited by Scott812313; 06-18-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAM-IncReDiBLe-
Curious as to why people think the Falcons will fall off. Plenty of people thought it last season also.
I'm sure jmood could tell you why.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #38
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott812313
That is patently false and tells me that you watched few, if any, 49ers games last year. They ran 1 of the most vanilla offenses around, out of necessity. They were put right behind the 8 ball offensively with a new coaching staff and no real training camp to incorporate the new scheme. They ran a ton of 2 TE sets and would run the ball out of this formation and try to set up PA. They weren't running wildcat and flea flickers. Old fashioned west coast offense: slants, stick routes and drags mainly.

Did you ever consider the terrible coaching that Alex had to endure EVERY year of his career until last year? Is it possible that he just needed a certain level of competency to be an effective player, like he was last year? I'm not saying he's Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning, but he's not garbage, like 99% of people act like he is. He was the #1 pick in the draft for a reason. He's talented and I'm pretty confident that people will realize this since the 49ers will be on national TV so often this year.
Wasn't out of necessity. That's the offense you're going to get out of Harbaugh. Lots of heavy personnel sets and lots of the power run game to set up play action. You're not going to see a lot of open formations or them throwing the ball 50 times a game. Not his style. This year will be no different from a play style perspective. It's Martyball 2.0, and it fits that team well.

Agreed on Smith, he played a lot better than people give him credit for. He's a much better qb than a lot of people who don't know any better would lead you to believe.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #39
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott812313

I know the 49ers ran a basic power Offensive scheme, with a lot of heavy personnel. I actually did phrase that quite wrong, what I should have said was that when they did try something different they ran some low risk gadget plays, cautious deception plays.

I recall a game they won vs Cleveland where they could not get anything going deep so they ran a few end arounds, and reverses with Ginn, Williams, and they have an unusual package where the Nose Tackle Sopoaga substitued in as an extra Tackle, pretty much lined up at Tight End and ran a flat route. I believe OT, Joe Staley caught a pass in that game as well.

Also I don't think Alex Smith is "garbage", he's about an average middle of the road starter. You could do a lot worse, he's not in that upper echelon of top 10-15 QBs IMO. It's just for a guy who's been in the league 7 seasons now going, you would expect a lot more from a #1 overall pick... Like you said though he's gone through a lot of coaching switch ups, so now it looks like he will finally have some consistency within the Offense, he can only go up from here. Right?

Last edited by Feared; 06-18-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Wasn't out of necessity. That's the offense you're going to get out of Harbaugh. Lots of heavy personnel sets and lots of the power run game to set up play action. You're not going to see a lot of open formations or them throwing the ball 50 times a game. Not his style. This year will be no different from a play style perspective. It's Martyball 2.0, and it fits that team well.

Agreed on Smith, he played a lot better than people give him credit for. He's a much better qb than a lot of people who don't know any better would lead you to believe.
I agree with almost all your points. People pointed to the run heavy offense as a lack of confidence in Alex, when it was the same ratio Harbaugh called at Stanford, with Andrew freaking Luck. I do believe they will open the playbook up a little more this year, both because of familiarity and the added weapons, but they will never play like NE/GB/NO, nor should they. It's only smart to play the way they do when you have the best defense and special teams in the game.

It's refreshing to hear someone else that forms their own opinions about players, without relying on the media narrative.
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »