Home

Defending Champions?

This is a discussion on Defending Champions? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Defending Champions?

I hear this term I can't understand how this works with the game of football , basketball, or any sport with a regular season and playoff system.

To defend a championship you have to be in it. How can you defend something when you have to go through the same process all over again like everyone else. That would mean that you can lose that title in the regular season alone by not making the playoffs.

Giants won the super bowl last year, but how are they the defending champions when they are not even sure if they will be in the Super Bowl this year.

They first have to play 16 games like everyone else, win throughout the playoffs like everyone else, then get to the super bowl to defend it.

This makes no sense to me. They are last year's Champions period. Now this year everyone starts new and must earn their way to the Super Bowl and have a chance to be called a champion.

In boxing you're the defending champ , because in order to get that belt you must beat that champion. That means every fight the champion has is a championship fight. That is not the case in other sports.

The Giants will not get a pass to be in the super bowl to defend it. They have to start the process all over. The Miami Heat will have to do the same, and the St Louis Cardinals. How are you defending something when you have to go though the whole process again?

It's nothing more than a whole new beginning for all teams involved even last year's champions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Defending Champions?

They are coming into the season crowned as the best team from the season prior, in the NFL that makes them the defending champion every game. Literal or not, it makes complete sense to me.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10
Until someone dethrones the king, they are still the king. Until someone else wins the Super Bowl, we are the champions.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

I actually agree with the OP. We all say/hear, last season was last season. Yet, for some reason that doesn't apply concerning the previous champ. Outside of certain dynasty teams (Pats, Boys, 49ers, etc), being a defending champion means absolutely nothing except to fans and media. Giants aren't defending anything, they're playing the game like everyone else this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I actually agree with the OP. We all say/hear, last season was last season. Yet, for some reason that doesn't apply concerning the previous champ. Outside of certain dynasty teams (Pats, Boys, 49ers, etc), being a defending champion means absolutely nothing except to fans and media. Giants aren't defending anything, they're playing the game like everyone else this season.
Every defending champion is trying to show they weren't a one-year-wonder though, more than most other teams from the previous season they are trying to prove they can be a dynasty. As defending champions they are trying to show that they've built their franchise in a way to win it all and keep winning. You don't luck into a Super Bowl.

As a result they bear the title defending champions, and have that additional pressure to go all the way again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Every defending champion is trying to show they weren't a one-year-wonder though, more than most other teams from the previous season they are trying to prove they can be a dynasty. As defending champions they are trying to show that they've built their franchise in a way to win it all and keep winning. You don't luck into a Super Bowl.

As a result they bear the title defending champions, and have that additional pressure to go all the way again.
No they're not. They're trying to win a Super Bowl. You don't luck into a Super Bowl? It definitely takes luck getting to and winning a Super Bowl.

I'm sorry, I don't see a coach's pre-season goal as, prove it wasn't a fluke. That's a motivational tool. They also had a super bowl ring, I'm pretty sure they aren't concerned w/ being called one year wonders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I don't care too much about it either way, but if you want to get more accurate, maybe "defending champions" should be changed to "reigning champions"?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

I am of the belief that everyone is at square one, 0-0. What a team did last year means diddly-squat. The idea of a team being the "king" that needs to be "dethroned" before anyone can say anything ill of them is just manufactured nonsense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »