Home

Week 4: Carolina Panthers (1-2) @ Atlanta Falcons (3-0)

This is a discussion on Week 4: Carolina Panthers (1-2) @ Atlanta Falcons (3-0) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #57
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Week 4: Carolina Panthers (1-2) @ Atlanta Falcons (3-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
With a one point lead you go for that. Four point lead you punt it. Matt Ryan getting into FG range against that secondary is like 7 on 7.
I hear what you're saying, but the Panthers forced the Falcons to punt 5 out of 12 drives, including three three-and-outs. I honestly don't think punting the ball was a bad decision, the defense just collapsed....
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #58
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
I hear what you're saying, but the Panthers forced the Falcons to punt 5 out of 12 drives, including three three-and-outs. I honestly don't think punting the ball was a bad decision, the defense just collapsed....
They also weren't playing prevent defense the whole game. The defense changes on the last possession. They weren't going to bring pressure, which meant Ryan was going to have plenty of time against a very suspect pass defense.

I'm just of the mind that you play to your strengths. The Panthers strength is their run game, not their pass defense.

Of course, this is a moot point if Nakamura gets himself into the proper position and knocks the ball down

Watch me play video games
Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Punting the ball was a bad decision. If anything, the numbers I posted somewhat underrate the "go-for-it" option because it assumes that Carolina is an average rushing team going against an average run defense when in reality it's Cam Newton, the best short yardage runner in the game, vs. Atlanta's front 7.

Field position in the modern NFL is an overrated concept and Atlanta just proved why.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #60
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
They also weren't playing prevent defense the whole game. The defense changes on the last possession. They weren't going to bring pressure, which meant Ryan was going to have plenty of time against a very suspect pass defense.

I'm just of the mind that you play to your strengths. The Panthers strength is their run game, not their pass defense.

Of course, this is a moot point if Nakamura gets himself into the proper position and knocks the ball down
I get they aren't playing prevent defense the whole game, but still you make a team start inside their one you HAVE to stop them. You could go either way, I honestly probably would have gone for it, but I can understand punting....
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #61
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
Punting the ball was a bad decision. If anything, the numbers I posted somewhat underrate the "go-for-it" option because it assumes that Carolina is an average rushing team going against an average run defense when in reality it's Cam Newton, the best short yardage runner in the game, vs. Atlanta's front 7.

Field position in the modern NFL is an overrated concept and Atlanta just proved why.
99% of the time there's no chance for the offense to get inside FG range with the ball inside the offenses own 1 yard line. Carolina's secondary just sucked today....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Yeah, but it is also the same secondary that let Ramses Barden go nuts. The D-Line did play great today though no doubt about that.

I just hate it for Cam. I hope he doesn't blame himself. Football is a team game, and a little more teamwork was needed.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #63
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
99% of the time there's no chance for the offense to get inside FG range with the ball inside the offenses own 1 yard line. Carolina's secondary just sucks....
Fixed that

Watch me play video games
Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
99% of the time there's no chance for the offense to get inside FG range with the ball inside the offenses own 1 yard line. Carolina's secondary just sucked today....
Kind of like, 60% of the time it works every time?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »