Home

NHL Ratings down

This is a discussion on NHL Ratings down within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL Ratings down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
NHL lost its chance to be popular after the Rangers won the Cup. They were at its highest peak in the States- Im willing to bet. Then they go ahead and have a lockout. That ruined this game and any chances it had in this country.
For the record, I love the sport, and always will. Even though its nowhere near as entertaining for me to watch as it was in the late 80s early 90s. You could never get me to hate this game.
Yup. SI ran a cover that read "Why the NHL is hot and the NBA is not" shortly after the Rangers won the Cup.
Then the lockout happened and then expansion and the need to make more money from playoffs. All of that cominbed created the dead-puck era.

We'll never have hockey like we did in the 70's and 80's. The game is much faster and defensive systems rule (and always will). However, saying that, I think the hockey I've seen since the lockout is the best I've watched since the early 90's. The NHL is on the right track.

Last edited by Money99; 01-26-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #26
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

We'll never have hockey like we did in the 70's and 80's. The game is much faster and defensive systems rule (and always will). However, saying that, I think the hockey I've seen since the lockout is the best I've watched since the early 90's. The NHL is on the right track.
The only thing i'd add is that I think there needs to be more hittng along the boards and boardplay. The game is just a tad bit too shimmyish at times. It's a small complaint tho as I think the actual product on the ice is great.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #27
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Absolutely! But that only shows you what kind of uphill battle pro hockey has in certain parts of the US.
I really don't see any other way to get more Americans into hockey. People talk about 'grassroots' programs but that won't work. There are more kids signed up for minor league soccer in the US and Canada than baseball and hockey respectively.
That's because hockey is prohibitively expensive compared to youth basketball, soccer or Little League baseball.

You're talking close to $1,000 or more per kid per winter for equipment, ice time, gas for travel to practice, tournaments, etc. Plus the kids practice at some ungodly early and and late hours due to the demand for ice time.

The U.S. isn't like Canada, where each town has at least one rink.

Hockey never will catch on with urban or rural youth in the U.S., either, because of the cost and lack of access to ice. It's a white, upper-middle and upper class suburban sport in the U.S. It's never going to catch on with city or country kids. Either too expensive, no ice, or both.

Take care,
PK

Last edited by pk500; 01-26-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #28
binging

SPTO's Arena

474,000 viewers tuned into the ASG in the US.

DREADFUL.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #29
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO

DREADFUL.
I love hockey, and I didn't watch. The All-Star Game isn't hockey. It's a glorified shinny match among guys who really don't give a sh*t. Christ, Ryan Miller was sending messages via his Blackberry from the bench in the third period.

I watched a bit of the Young Stars Game Tuesday, and it might have been the most lackadaisical, half-azzed hockey game I've ever seen in my life. I've seen beer league games with more passion. I've PLAYED in beer league games with more passion.

The Young Stars Game should be scrapped now. Instead, a game with top draft prospects should be played. Those kids would play like they meant it, showing their skills in front of NHL GM's.

Take care,
PK

Last edited by pk500; 01-26-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #30
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500

The Young Stars Game should be scrapped now. Instead, a game with top draft prospects should be played. Those kids would play like they meant it, showing their skills in front of NHL GM's.

Take care,
PK
Actually we do have that. I think it was played last week or the week before in Quebec. Basically it's the best prospects in Canadian junior hockey and they play with a lot of passion for the agents, scouts etc etc.

It's quite a good show actually. I don't know if you'd want to package that into the NHL ASG festivities as there's a lot of opportunities for improprieties.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:

DREADFUL.
I'm sure it wouldn't have changed that number a ton, but maybe many are like me and don't have Versus? I definitely would've watched the ASG if it would've been on a non premium station.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #32
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
You're reading it wrong:

The NHL's numbers are better overall in NORTH america then the NBA's not in the country of USA.

got it?
That still doesnt make sense. The majority of people in NA are in the US, and no way does hockey do better than basketball in Mexico. Overall in NA or the US basketball would draw better TV numbers, Canadas population just isnt big enough to prop up hockey in that comparison.

So again, show me how that makes sense, preferably with a link to something that proves this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »