Home

NHL Ratings down

This is a discussion on NHL Ratings down within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NHL Ratings down

Sure, winning a cup would build up a fan base pretty quickly, but the problem with those fans are that as soon as the Sharks start to lose, then the Sharks will lose those "Fair Weather Fans". They need to focus on creating real fans; fans that watch the games regardless if the team is winning or losing, fans that are watching the game because they enjoy hockey. The problem is, how do you create that type of loyal fan base? The reason the Giants, A's, Raiders, 49ers, and Warriors have a somewhat loyal fan base is because most people supporting those teams now, supported them when they were growing up, and the reason why they supported them when they were growing up is because their father or parents supported them as well. I guess if this pattern is correct, then maybe in a decade the Sharks and the NHL will over a new generation of fans.

I just think it all goes back to being able to relate to and being able to understand the intricacies of the game which either comes from playing the game, or watching a hell of a lot of it.

and yeah, name comes from the show, my favorite food network show
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #42
All Star

OVR: 20

Unfortunatenly, the only way a sport can be successful today is if it is on ESPN. ESPN only promotes their own programming so it is imperative that the NHL gets back on ESPN.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
The Bay Area loves winners, yet they are fanatical about the 49ers, Raiders, and Warriors (!), while ignoring the Sharks? Hmmm...
Those teams have all won something before! If the Sharks win it can happen agian. Sure they all suck now, but they still have a strong following. Hockey probably wont be big here into they get more Ice Rink in this area. Plus we have too much sports here for it to probably get to big. NFL, NBA, MLB. We have a lot to chose from.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodEats
Sure, winning a cup would build up a fan base pretty quickly, but the problem with those fans are that as soon as the Sharks start to lose, then the Sharks will lose those "Fair Weather Fans". They need to focus on creating real fans; fans that watch the games regardless if the team is winning or losing, fans that are watching the game because they enjoy hockey. The problem is, how do you create that type of loyal fan base? The reason the Giants, A's, Raiders, 49ers, and Warriors have a somewhat loyal fan base is because most people supporting those teams now, supported them when they were growing up, and the reason why they supported them when they were growing up is because their father or parents supported them as well. I guess if this pattern is correct, then maybe in a decade the Sharks and the NHL will over a new generation of fans.

I just think it all goes back to being able to relate to and being able to understand the intricacies of the game which either comes from playing the game, or watching a hell of a lot of it.

and yeah, name comes from the show, my favorite food network show

Think about if a team sucks are you going to support that team. I know I will, but I wont be watching every game or trying to go to games like I do now. After awhile when your team sucks it gets real old. And it has nothing with being a band wagon fan. It sucks when your team loses every night. So I can see why people don't like losing team and why fans start to drift away. We has fans live by the way their teams are doing. If they win we are happy when they lose night after night they get mad. It is just how sports are. I have come to an conclusion if the Sharks win at least one Cup. All they need to do after that is be competative. And I will suppot them.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #45
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottd
Those teams have all won something before!
Yeah, in the Hyborian Age (Raiders and Warriors).

Quote:
Plus we have too much sports here for it to probably get to big. NFL, NBA, MLB. We have a lot to chose from.
This is the correct answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #46
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
Think about if a team sucks are you going to support that team. I know I will, but I wont be watching every game or trying to go to games like I do now. After awhile when your team sucks it gets real old. And it has nothing with being a band wagon fan. It sucks when your team loses every night. So I can see why people don't like losing team and why fans start to drift away. We has fans live by the way their teams are doing. If they win we are happy when they lose night after night they get mad. It is just how sports are. I have come to an conclusion if the Sharks win at least one Cup. All they need to do after that is be competative. And I will suppot them.
But this exposes the weakness of the NHL's expansion into non-traditional markets. In order for those teams to survive, they pretty much have to win one Cup and be competitive all the time. Not only is that unrealistic, but it means that the NHL must root against markets that actually like hockey (ie, Canada, Minnesota, Buffalo) for the league to "thrive". And guess what, nontraditional markets have won 3 Cups and counting (Dallas, Tampa Bay, Carolina), and yet the NHL is less relevant than ever in the US.

I thought NHL owners were supposed to be businessmen. Whatever happened to the concept of supply-and-demand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

Last edited by DrJones; 01-28-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
But this exposes the weakness of the NHL's expansion into non-traditional markets. In order for those teams to survive, they pretty much have to win one Cup and be competitive all the time. Not only is that unrealistic, but it means that the NHL must root against markets that actually like hockey (ie, Canada, Minnesota, Buffalo) for the league to "thrive". And guess what, nontraditional markets have won 3 Cups and counting (Dallas, Tampa Bay, Carolina), and yet the NHL is as less relevant than ever in the US.

I thought NHL owners were supposed to be businessmen. Whatever happened to the concept of supply-and-demand?

I totally agree, I am so thankful for the Sharks, but I do agree with what you are saying.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #48
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
- I hear people complain about how the NHL doesn't market it's stars, but I would now disagree. If you look at their commercials, they highlight their star players. I'm talking about the "Reminding you that the season starter", AO NBC, and My NHL commericlals. I've also read complaints about how hockey players need to open up and even rock the cradle. I don't know about you, but I could do without a TO type in the NHL. I find it extremely sad people will complain that the NHL doesn't have "attention whores". Looks like people have been influced by the ESPN/Me generation. If you look at the all the major sports, the NHL has the best group of guys. I've heard from media members that have covered various sports and they say the NHL guys are the most friendly and humble. You'll also find a lot more NFL and NBA guys that have run ins with the law.
True. But you NEVER see the commercials on American TV other than during hockey telecasts. What's the point of spending six or seven figures with an ad agency and then showing those ads to the faithful? Talk about preaching to the choir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
- To be honest, based on the NHL's low ratings in the US, they should be pretty happy with the coverage they are getting from the US media. They are still mostly viewed as one of the big four sports and not on lower tier with the likes of Soccer, Tennis, Golf, etc....
Not true. Golf has its own channel in the U.S. and has better ratings than the NHL. Plus golf receives more front-page space and air time during the majors, especially when Tiger is contending, than the Stanley Cup Finals in the U.S. media.

If Federer was an American, tennis might get more ink than the NHL, too. But since he's not, Americans yawn even though he's probably the greatest player ever.

Disclaimer: I'm a huge NHL fan, not some hockey ***** trying to dispel your theories. But the NHL is not one of the "Big Four" anymore in America. NASCAR has replaced it.

Take care,
PK

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »