Home

The Lightning Blog

This is a discussion on The Lightning Blog within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How will the Bolts end up in 2009-10
A: One of the best in the East/South East. 1 14.29%
B: They will make the playoffs but will not go far 1 14.29%
C: Improvements from the past two years but still no playoffs 1 14.29%
D: They will suck, as usual 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: The Lightning Blog

i agree...well put.

and one of the things i thoroughly enjoy is getting to the lightning games very early and watching vinny warm-up. when healthy, he is an amazing player. i just wish he brought it every night.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #74
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
i agree...well put.

and one of the things i thoroughly enjoy is getting to the lightning games very early and watching vinny warm-up. when healthy, he is an amazing player. i just wish he brought it every night.
He reminds me of Sergei Federov, when he shows up, he is amazing. But he also takes nights off, and that can rub off badly on other players.
The would be better off putting Malone-Stamkos-St. Louis up front and dealing Lecavalier for a solid center and winger to put with Prospal and a 2nd line defender,
Then on the defense, you'd have Ranger, Meszaros, Hedman and whoever they would get.

Last edited by rdnk; 06-30-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #75
MVP

Bolts_26's Arena

OVR: 37

First off, I'm so sorry I have not been in here for a bit. I have my family over from NY and are participating in events with them everyday. They will be gone on Friday and I will be on here some more.

Next, Thank you guys. All of this discussing and stuff is really great and I appreciate that you guys are posting on here. Thanks.

I will have to do a big "draft" update, pretty much telling you who we got and some expectations and backround info. I'm also going to do a small update (later tonight, I hope) telling you about the 9 RFA's we sent offers to.

Please remember, July 1st is officially Free Agency, look for the bolts to make a pretty big signing on Day 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #76
MVP

Bolts_26's Arena

Lecacalier would have been gone.

Some of you know, some of you don't but Oren Koules and Len Barrie no longer liked each other and met with Gary Betmen to decided who has the final say in the team. Kooules wanted Vinny out as Berrie demanded he would have to stay.

Koules won. Berrie only has the right to vito moves. With that being said please check out this article:

If Lightning GM Brian Lawton and co-owner Oren Koules had their way, the team would have traded captain Vincent Lecavalier to the Montreal Canadiens over the weekend. According to several published reports, Tampa Bay co-owner Len Barrie vetoed a trade that would have sent Lecavalier to the Habs.
The Canadiens have been looking for a top-line center and the Montreal Gazette reports they came close to acquiring Lecavalier, but as long as Barrie holds veto power the team will not be dealing away its long-time superstar.
It's not known what type of package the Canadiens were pitching for Lecavalier, but sources suggest it did not include All-Star defenseman Andrei Markov.
Various reports suggest the Bolts wanted Markov as part of a package, but having drafted Victor Hedman second-overall allowed Lawton to weigh his options.
Lecavalier's new 11-year, $85 million contract, which includes a no-trade clause, kicks in tomorrow.

Bolts_26 would like to thank thefourthperiod.com for the arcticles.

What are your thoughts?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #77
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

I know we've talked a bit about the financial end of the Lightning and how stable they currently are...

...just a little side FYI: my wife works as an artist for the Tampa Tribune. She told me that she received an email today from one of their sales reps that the Lightning just opened a $60,000 account to advertise with the Tribune. Interesting (also considering that the St. Pete Times is their primary sponsor). Doesn't sound like a team that has plans on 1) leaving, and 2) moving their best player.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #78
MVP

Bolts_26's Arena

Quote:
I know we've talked a bit about the financial end of the Lightning and how stable they currently are...

...just a little side FYI: my wife works as an artist for the Tampa Tribune. She told me that she received an email today from one of their sales reps that the Lightning just opened a $60,000 account to advertise with the Tribune. Interesting (also considering that the St. Pete Times is their primary sponsor). Doesn't sound like a team that has plans on 1) leaving, and 2) moving their best player.
didn't know that.

Also shows that the Bolts may be a bit desperate.

Don't take this wrong (toward your Wife) but The Tribune kinda hates us. Remember when they posted all that stuff toward us?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #79
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

I guess Tampa is following my prescription for success. They just signed Mattias Ohlund, for 3.75 M a year for 7 years. Kinda long, but at least it's not overly expensive.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
...but i also believe that hockey is very much a game of intensity and effort.

i'd take marty over vinny because i believe that a player with slightly less skill but a greater sense of effort/determination will make a greater impact on his team than a player with slightly more skill but who gives less effort...

vinny is the sex appeal of this team...but marty is its heartbeat.

you'd probably never get this answer, but i'd bet that stamkos has learned more about the game from marty than he has from vinny...
It's similar to the Yzerman-Fedorov debate of the early 90's.
Even their teammates said that Fedorov had much better individual skills. But who was the better player? Who put up better numbers?

Bryan Murray told a fantastic story from the '92-'93 season. The Wings were in Chicago and Detroit won 6-5 where Yzerman scored three times and added two assists.
Fedorov had a poor game so Murray took him aside just before the players got on the bus. As Murray's talking to Fedorov about having more consistancy and competing hard on every shift, Yzerman walked by the room on crutches. He had a groin injury that was so bad he couldn't even walk without them. Both Murray and Fedorov watched Yzerman walk by in silence. When he was out of sight, Murray turned to Fedorov and said "Did you see THAT? The man can't walk and he scored 5 points tonight for us. THAT'S what I'm talking about competing".

Vinny has a lot of talent but it seems he's still struggling with putting in an NHL effort every game. It says a lot about his talent level. There's only a handful of players in this game that can dial it in most nights and still score a decent amount of points.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »