Home

Three Teams On the Move?

This is a discussion on Three Teams On the Move? within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #105
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Three Teams On the Move?

It's not over for Jets fans yet:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-93657179.html

Quote:
The Goldwater Institute, a conservative taxpayer watchdog group, is ready to get into court in the next few days to mix it up with the city.

Goldwater attorney Carrie Ann Sitren told the Free Press in an email late Wednesday night that could happen as early as Friday.
Also this:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...-93661889.html

Quote:
A source involved in the negotiations in Arizona told the Free Press on Wednesday that moving the Coyotes could still be the NHL's only solution.

"The NHL is still nervous and if they don't have something rock-solid in the next couple of days they'll move the franchise," said the source, who requested anonymity.

"They definitely need a guarantee any future losses in Phoenix will be covered by the City of Glendale and they need it quickly. The city is still working on what they need to do for the NHL. I don't think it's a slam dunk but I do think it will get done. But there has to be movement. Gary (Bettman) can't risk the owners' money. They won't have it."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #106
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

damnit man just move the team and get it over with!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #107
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
damnit man just move the team and get it over with!
Yeah really.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #108
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Yeah really.
Another article I read insinuated that Bettman and the NHL will be in a huge bind if they can't find a buyer, or if Glendale can't cover costs, by mid-summer.
They feel that's too far into the offseason to move the franchise so they (see owners) will have to eat up another $20M loss from the Coyotes.

What's hilarious is that the CEO of Ice Edge Holdings was on a Bloomberg TV last summer and stated;

"People in Phoenix don't want to go to a hockey game anyways, so you might as well bring them to Canada where people will go bonkers to watch a hockey game. Five games in Canada to us is very interesting; you can sell out an Islanders preseason game in Saskatoon for god's sakes. So you can end up with a very interesting situation where demand is out running supply, and that's what you always want in an economic situation"

This is the man who actually wants to own the team and he's saying this stuff about Glendale.

The NHL really is on a tight deadline right now.
It's obvious they really want to keep a team in Glendale. But they're gambling that Glendale's CoD will be allowed to swallow $25M in losses and that the Goldwater Institute won't succeed in suing them to prevent it from happening.

I really have a hard time believing that the BOG isn't breathing hard down Bettman's neck.
With all due respect to the handful of Coyotes fans on this board, the Phoenix franchise brings absolutely nothing to the table. All they do is take from the revenue sharing fund while giving nothing back.
I can't see the other 29 owners liking that. Especially when they know they could move the team to Winnipeg, which would strengthen the Canadian TV deal as well as have one less team with their hand out. In fact, Winnipeg might be one of the teams actually putting money into the revenue sharing fund.

As much as I want the 'Peg to get another team, I hope the Coyotes stay in the desert for one more year and nobody buys the team nor with Glendale cover costs.
The NHL created this mess for everyone. They should be the ones to eat all these losses.

BTW Daley, didn't you tell the judge last summer that there were at least 4 prospective buyers who were dying to buy the Coyotes???? Where are they now you jacka**!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #109
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Winnipeg, you ready to get your hopes up again?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1578321/

Quote:
City of Glendale told to find a buyer by Dec. 31 or else league will sell Coyotes to a waiting buyer who can move the franchise
Will they just move this team already.
Glendale isn't exactly killing themselves to save this team and nobody's interested in buying it and owning it Arizona.

Time to cut bait and move on. I'm sick of this already.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #110
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Didn't Glendale and the NHL just agree on paying that $20 mil and keeping the team in Phoenix?

Old 05-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #111
MVP

duckfever8's Arena

OVR: 23

This is like the fourth time i've said this, but looks like Winnipeg's getting their team back. Just move the team or don't, stop with this crap and say what your gonna do.
NBA-Portland Trail Blazers
NFL-Carolina Panthers
MLB-San Francisco Giants
NHL-Los Angeles Kings
Won't change this signature until Oregon wins a national championship (started 3/10/10)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #112
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Didn't Glendale and the NHL just agree on paying that $20 mil and keeping the team in Phoenix?
Yes, but it's still dependent on a couple of things.
I'm getting confused with all the legalese but I believe Glendale has to find a buyer by December 31st or the NHL can sell it to anyone and it can be moved.

Also, the Westgate group is still inspecting whether or not this CFD is legal.

I don't think the Yotes are going anywhere this year, but if an owner, who's willing to keep the team in Glendale and assume all losses, isn't found by 2011, chances are the Jets are coming back to Winnipeg.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »