Home

Three Teams On the Move?

This is a discussion on Three Teams On the Move? within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Three Teams On the Move?

Coyotes to Winnipeg appears to be nearly done deal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...29/daily2.html

Quote:
Two sources with knowledge of the Coyotes finances and ownership said a deal between Thomson and the NHL has been completed in principle and could have the Coyotes back in Winnipeg next season if necessary.
I would think it's a no-brainer that NHL owners are forcing this on Bettman.
Part of me wonders if that would be the case if Phoenix were at the bottom of the standings. I'm sure more than one owner is livid that they're paying to have a team beat them into the playoff picture.
Imagine the hullabaloo if Phoenix went to the Conference Final or won the Cup? Oy-vay!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Coyotes to Winnipeg appears to be nearly done deal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...29/daily2.html

I would think it's a no-brainer that NHL owners are forcing this on Bettman.
Part of me wonders if that would be the case if Phoenix were at the bottom of the standings. I'm sure more than one owner is livid that they're paying to have a team beat them into the playoff picture.
Imagine the hullabaloo if Phoenix went to the Conference Final or won the Cup? Oy-vay!
The thing is, it's only a "backup plan" depending on whether or not a deal gets done with Ice Edge or Jerry Reinsdorf. So I'm not gonna get my hopes up yet. I already have too many times before.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
The thing is, it's only a "backup plan" depending on whether or not a deal gets done with Ice Edge or Jerry Reinsdorf. So I'm not gonna get my hopes up yet. I already have too many times before.
I don't blame you.
But I firmly believe the BOG has given Bettman a deadline to sell the team by June no matter what. They're tired of keeping the team afloat.

The only group interested in buying the team is Ice Edge Holdings. And they've been trying to get the money for over 6 months now. If you listen and believe the talking heads on CBC's hotstove, there isn't a bank in the country that wants to give them a dime for the Coyotes.
And they don't have nearly enough funds on their own.

The Reisendorf group has already proven to be out and any lingering interest is reportedly false rumors.

So I think Bettman and co. are desperately trying to sell the team to anyone who'll keep the team in Arizona. But considering how long it takes to move a team, plus scheduling. the June deadline sounds about right.

The 'Yotes have been up for sale for a long time and nobody viable has stepped up yet to keep them there. I don't see that changing unless they go deep in the playoffs. In fact, it could be the only thing that saves the franchise.
But if not, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Coyotes back in Winnipeg or any other city really.

Last edited by Money99; 03-29-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 7

"No one goes to the Thrashers games, and frankly, you'd have a hard time finding anyone on the street in Atlanta who even knows a single player on the Thrashers' team."

That's not true.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=315986

Quote:
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The NHL is denying a report that it has a deal in place to move the Phoenix Coyotes if a lease agreement at the team's suburban arena isn't reached in the near future.

The report, published in Monday's online edition of the Phoenix Business Journal, said a deal with Jerry Reinsdorf to buy the Coyotes and keep them in Glendale could hinge on a clause that would allow the owner of the Chicago Bulls and White Sox to move the team if its bottom line doesn't improve.

The report went on to say that the NHL is in negotiations with Toronto billionaire David Thomson and Winnipeg-based True North Sports and Entertainment on a backup plan which could see the Coyotes move back to Manitoba's capital.

"At this point in time the National Hockey League has no 'deal' in place to move the Coyotes' franchise to Winnipeg -- or to any other city for that matter -- in the event a transaction cannot be timely consummated in Glendale," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement Monday night.

"Our focus continues to be on completing a transaction with local ownership that is committed to operating the team in Glendale."

Daly added that the league, which bought the Coyotes out of bankruptcy in the summer, is confident a new deal on a lease can be reached.

"We will not focus on completing arrangements for one or more alternative option(s) until such time as it may become necessary," the statement read.

Daly said the league has had discussions with Thompson and True North Sports about future ownership of a franchise, including the potential return of a team to Winnipeg. The Jets left for Phoenix after the 1995-96 season.

"(A return to Winnipeg) remains an intriguing possibility and one we would consider given appropriate circumstances, but there is nothing new to report on that front at this time," said Daly.

The NHL is also in negotiations with Ice Edge Holdings, which has said it will keep the team in Arizona.
Even though the NHL came out and said this, it's obvious they would deny this report even if it is true. The aren't just going to come out and say "Yeah we're thinking of moving the team" and lose the 50 Coyotes fans they have right now.

It would be nice if they explained the "appropriate circumstances" needed for us to get our team back.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #30
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:

It would be nice if they explained the "appropriate circumstances" needed for us to get our team back.
Knowing the NHL it means "when we're expanding again". I've heard that Reinsdorf is interested in buying the team but only at 60 million and it's not even for him but rather his son who's been snooping around the Blackhawks and learning the ropes that way.

Rumors are that Thomson and his group is willing to vastly overpay for the Coyotes to the tune of 140 million. Bettman and co. would be out of their minds not to take that kind of offer as there's no way they're gonna recoup their losses with Reinsdorf buying the team.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Knowing the NHL it means "when we're expanding again". I've heard that Reinsdorf is interested in buying the team but only at 60 million and it's not even for him but rather his son who's been snooping around the Blackhawks and learning the ropes that way.

Rumors are that Thomson and his group is willing to vastly overpay for the Coyotes to the tune of 140 million. Bettman and co. would be out of their minds not to take that kind of offer as there's no way they're gonna recoup their losses with Reinsdorf buying the team.
Which is ridiculous because the last thing they need to do is expand. If anything they need to downsize and cut down the amount of teams.

I know Bettman wants to be like all the other leagues and have 30 or more teams but it's a lot harder in hockey to have 30+ teams when not every big or attractive city is a good hockey market (Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, Florida, etc).

Last edited by BlueNGold; 03-29-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #32
MVP

duckfever8's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Which is ridiculous because the last thing they need to do is expand. If anything they need to downsize and cut down the amount of teams.

I know Bettman wants to be like all the other leagues and have 30 or more teams but it's a lot harder in hockey to have 30+ teams when not every big or attractive city is a good hockey market (Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, Florida, etc).
The league shouldn't expand, they're already having trouble with existing teams (we all know who they are), and the talent pool will shrink. Trust me, we don't need to see Branislav Mezei and Norm Milley have NHL jobs again .
NBA-Portland Trail Blazers
NFL-Carolina Panthers
MLB-San Francisco Giants
NHL-Los Angeles Kings
Won't change this signature until Oregon wins a national championship (started 3/10/10)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »