Home

Three Teams On the Move?

This is a discussion on Three Teams On the Move? within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Three Teams On the Move?

Ya know what da nhl needz to do, add teamz to hockey hotbeds like new orleans, tulsa, alberquerque, compton, orlando, and honolulu
tonite's game is between the honolulu red wings and orlando blackhawks
GAME ON
Old 04-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

And now this:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...tes-lease.html

Quote:
When the NHL ended up purchasing the team at a bankruptcy auction last fall, the league indicated it would ask the judge at the end of June to reject the team's 30-year lease if a deal for permanent owners in Glendale couldn't be reached.
Quote:
Asked if [Mayor Elaine Scruggs] was confident the Coyotes would continue to play at the arena, which the city spent $180 million to open in 2003, Scruggs said she was "optimistic."

"I can't promise anything," she said, "but we're doing everything we can."
How can she say that? The NHL is basically telling them, unless you rework the lease, this team is gone.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #35
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And now this:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...tes-lease.html

How can she say that? The NHL is basically telling them, unless you rework the lease, this team is gone.
She has to save face even if that means being dishonest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #36
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/co.../13458766.html

Quote:
WINNIPEG -- This was never going to be a one-or-nothing scenario when it comes to Winnipeg’s pursuit of an NHL franchise.

News that the city of Glendale, Ariz., appears to be taking the necessary steps to provide lease concessions that assure a new owner will keep the Phoenix Coyotes franchise in the desert — and prevent them from moving back to their original home — impedes the chances the NHL could return by the fall. But don’t think for a second that Mark Chipman and True North Sports & Entertainment are giving up the quest.

Not even close.

In some ways, if the Coyotes do stay in Phoenix — and that’s still an if when you’re dealing with politicians and lease concessions until the transaction between the NHL and either Ice Edge or Jerry Reinsdorf is signed, sealed and delivered — it will only help Winnipeg’s chances in the long run.

How can it help Winnipeg’s chances, you rightfully ask?

That’s simple. Chipman and company are playing the game the way the NHL want it to be played.

That means no outlandish quotes in the press and no season ticket deposits being accepted before the NHL has rubber stamped a move.

Chipman has succeeded on that front, to the point the NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly went on record saying discussions have been held with Chipman and billionaire David Thomson for quite some time and that Winnipeg could be a viable market, should the need arise down the road.

There was always something about the prospect of the Coyotes returning to their birthplace that intrigued many in this city — and province, for that matter.

You know, the theory that this could right a past wrong.

The Coyotes moving to Winnipeg made sense on a number of levels, but for as much praise as Winnipeg and True North was getting, let’s not forget the NHL maintained from the very beginning that its chief objective was to find a new ownership group that was committed to keeping the franchise in Glendale.

A report on espn.com from respected hockey writer Scott Burnside quotes sources saying that Glendale city council has accepted the terms on new lease agreements put forth by both prospective ownership groups — Ice Edge and Reinsdorf — and could approve them as early as Tuesday.

That would seem to be the next logical step in the proceedings and be a big step to allowing the Coyotes to stay put.

So were Chipman and Thomson merely used as pawns to put pressure on Glendale to get a deal done?

Not so fast.

Chipman and Thomson are smart men and sources say they’ve been kept up to date with how things were progressing in regards to the Coyotes situation.

Are we then to believe that if the Coyotes’ ownership situation is resolved and doesn’t include a future in Winnipeg that Chipman and Thomson are going to disappear into the sunset?

That seems highly unlikely.

Not after all that has been invested.

The NHL has other troubled franchises and you can be sure Winnipeg, now more than ever, will be given first crack when it comes to the relocation of one of them.

Since we’re on the subject, how about the Nashville Predators?

True North was interested in acquiring them once before and you can be sure that if that chance presented itself again, they’d do everything in their power to succeed this time.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Don Cherry was also talking about Winnipeg and he seems pretty convinced that the 'Peg is getting a team back.

The one are that worries me about a Winnipeg team is how many NHLers will want to play there. Will it be similar to Edmonton?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Ice Edge Growing Tired of Glendale:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/E...054/story.html

Also interesting:
Quote:
The City of Glendale set a Friday deadline for potential bidders, which at this point include Ice Edge and Jerry Reinsdorf, the owner of baseball’s Chicago White Sox and basketball’s Chicago Bulls, to sign a memorandum of understanding.
I'm sure this is more posturing to get the best possible deal.
I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #39
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

Winnipeg is the most over-rated Hockey market in the world.

The fans didn't support the team in a big way when they were there. Winnipeg also doesn't have a NHL quality arena, the population is small, small amount of corporations, and well ............. it's Winnipeg. If I was a NHL free agent, there's chance in hell I would want to play there. A reporter asked Burrows about his time in Winnipeg and he said there was nothing to do there.

If I was running the NHL, I would put a team in Las Vegas (assuming they had an arena) before I put one in Winnipeg.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy
Winnipeg is the most over-rated Hockey market in the world.

The fans didn't support the team in a big way when they were there. Winnipeg also doesn't have a NHL quality arena, the population is small, small amount of corporations, and well ............. it's Winnipeg. If I was a NHL free agent, there's chance in hell I would want to play there. A reporter asked Burrows about his time in Winnipeg and he said there was nothing to do there.

If I was running the NHL, I would put a team in Las Vegas (assuming they had an arena) before I put one in Winnipeg.
I lived in Winnipeg for 6 months during the 93-04 season. It's hard to dispute what you've said Van.
When I was there, I could walk up on the day of most games and get a ticket. And once in the building, I could have sat wherever I wanted.
The building was about 50% full and nobody made any noise.
The only night it was packed was when the Jets honored Selanne for his record breaking goal. The place went nuts for that.
But aside from that, it was a ghost town. I still remember buying tickets for a Jets-Wings game three rows behind the net. It cost me $64CDN total for two tickets. And I could have had those seats whenever I wanted.

I wonder if things have changed? I applaud the NHL for wanting to add more Canadian teams, but they might want to research first. It would be terribly embarrassing if they moved back into Winnipeg only to have them relocate a few years down the road.
Even if they sell out every night, and they get great corporate support, I wonder if players will want to play there - much like Edmonton.

But I will say this. I loved it there. The city was great and the people were super friendly. It wasn't uncommon to have people say 'Hello' or "Good Morning" while walking the streets. That can't be said about most bigger cities. It had a small town feel.
And I think it's a great place to raise a family.
But for players that like the night life or big lights, I can see them staying away from the 'Peg.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »