Home

Three Teams On the Move?

This is a discussion on Three Teams On the Move? within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #49
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Three Teams On the Move?

Oh wow... Even more developments via TSN:

Quote:
Winnipeg will soon find out whether or not the Phoenix Coyotes franchise will return to the city it once called home.

Sources tell TSN this decision will be made within the next three weeks, if not sooner.

With Jerry Reinsdorf's deal to buy the Coyotes hanging precariously in limbo, sources say Glendale city officials are scrambling, trying to push Ice Edge Holdings to sign an agreement of exclusivity, with ties to the existing lease, in time to position a proposal for vote at next Tuesdays Glendale city council meeting.

Ice Edge has been willing to discuss the possibility since being approached by Glendale city officials late last week, and will further consider the opportunity as discussions continue throughout the day, however without an assurance from the National Hockey League that the city is committed to funding operating losses next season, a deal with Ice Edge may not get off the ground.

Sources close to the situation are also concerned Glendale may be using Ice Edge as leverage to lure Reisndorf back into discussions and perhaps, into a revised proposal that is far less reliant on city subsidies.

If the Reinsdorf deal is officially pulled off the table and Glendale and the NHL cannot present Ice Edge with a purchase package this group is willing to swiftly accept, the National Hockey League may have to expedite its plan "B" and relocate the Coyotes.

Although there is no deal in place to formalize Winnipeg as the relocation target, Winnipeg is considered the frontrunner based on the belief the cities fan base and arena makes it a turn key operation available to house an NHL team in a short turnaround period.

Quebec City, Kansas City and Las Vegas are also among the cities identified on the list of options. However, the NHL would require assurances from Vegas and Quebec City that new, acceptable facilities, would be built in a timely manner.
I kinda hope Glendale lowballs Ice Edge and Bettman will have to go back to Winnipeg. It'd be one helluva hard move to spin positively in his favor to the other owners but would be a great story for those in Winnipeg.

We'll know in about 3 weeks time.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Oh wow... Even more developments via TSN:

I kinda hope Glendale lowballs Ice Edge and Bettman will have to go back to Winnipeg. It'd be one helluva hard move to spin positively in his favor to the other owners but would be a great story for those in Winnipeg.

We'll know in about 3 weeks time.
We've been saying it for a while, but I'm not sure how Glendale can hold on unless they're willing to absorb a lot of the losses.

However, I'm fairly certain that the NHL is using credible sources such as TSN as leverage to get a deal done in Arizona.

I'll still be surprised if this team is moved in the next 12 months.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #51
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Do Bettman and the owners still think that it wasn't a good idea to let Balsilie into the club? Here we are a year later and whoever is going to buy the team is going to pony up less to the owners and Glendale than Mr Blackberry was and they're going to move it as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Do Bettman and the owners still think that it wasn't a good idea to let Balsilie into the club? Here we are a year later and whoever is going to buy the team is going to pony up less to the owners and Glendale than Mr Blackberry was and they're going to move it as well.
I guess it goes to show that no matter how much older, richer or successful we get, men can still be immature idiots at times.
Black-balling Ballsillie was all about a guy who tried to force his way into an elite clubhouse. He blew right past initiation and the secret handshake and it ticked all these elitists off.

I still agree that Ballsillie should have went about it in a different way. However, the NHL was stupid not to negotiate with him.

BTW, he's been very quiet this whole time. Anyone else suspect he could be working with the NHL in the background in some way? Maybe he's groveling or finally trying to play their game?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #53
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I guess it goes to show that no matter how much older, richer or successful we get, men can still be immature idiots at times.
Black-balling Ballsillie was all about a guy who tried to force his way into an elite clubhouse. He blew right past initiation and the secret handshake and it ticked all these elitists off.

I still agree that Ballsillie should have went about it in a different way. However, the NHL was stupid not to negotiate with him.

BTW, he's been very quiet this whole time. Anyone else suspect he could be working with the NHL in the background in some way? Maybe he's groveling or finally trying to play their game?
My guess is that the NHL will grant Balsillie a (groan) expansion franchise at some point. That's one of the key reasons the Count is fighting so hard to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. They want to expand to 32, and plan on charging prospective owners $250M-300M to do so. Difficult to get someone to pay that if 3 or 4 of your existing 30 franchises are available to move at half the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 05-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #54
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
My guess is that the NHL will grant Balsillie a (groan) expansion franchise at some point. That's one of the key reasons the Count is fighting so hard to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. They want to expand to 32, and plan on charging prospective owners $250M-300M to do so. Difficult to get someone to pay that if 3 or 4 of your existing 30 franchises are available to move at half the price.
Ugh. 32 teams and the concept of a legitimate "Top 6" group of forwards is going to become more of an unattainable luxury than it already is. Do we really want to watch an NHL where Andrew Alberts could be a second pairing defenseman?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Ugh. 32 teams and the concept of a legitimate "Top 6" group of forwards is going to become more of an unattainable luxury than it already is. Do we really want to watch an NHL where Andrew Alberts could be a second pairing defenseman?
LOL! Tell me about it. I mean, there are still days where I can't believe Todd Bertuzzi is a top 6 forward on the Wings.

The league should have looked into forcing new buildings to be 200x100 and contracting troubled teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #56
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
LOL! Tell me about it. I mean, there are still days where I can't believe Todd Bertuzzi is a top 6 forward on the Wings.

The league should have looked into forcing new buildings to be 200x100 and contracting troubled teams.
That would result in less revenue. Why would the NHL do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »