Home

Why do the sharks suck in the playoffs?

This is a discussion on Why do the sharks suck in the playoffs? within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #25
Pro

TSOLEliot's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Why do the sharks suck in the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Did you teach him all the usual tricks? Sit, speak, heel, be like wall?
Nice!
Irbe was a basset hound ...very low to the ground like wall- kinda like an immobile butterfly style

NFL- Eagles
NHL- Flyers
NCAA- Fresno State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Hahaha! Sorry to pile on guys but I thought this was kind of funny:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...hate-mail.html

Quote:
Dear Joe Thornton:

For years, I’ve listened to people run you down for your lack of performance in the playoffs – it’s getting a little difficult to keep defending you, by the way.

I’ve always thought it would just be a matter of time before you’d have that monster playoff season and lead your team to the Stanley Cup. I still believe that, even after a first round in which you were outscored by Dwight Helminen and had fewer points than Chris Neil. Even in a round in which you were tied for 310th in the league in plus-minus. Even in a round in which you looked as though you were either too scared or not interested enough to make a significant contribution.

I know you’re better than that and so do you. And here is your opportunity to prove it. You and Dany Heatley and Patrick Marleau know you were saved from ignominy by Joe Pavelski, Devin Setoguchi and Ryane Clowe.

You’ve been given a second playoff life; please take advantage of it. Come out in the next series like a man possessed. Hit somebody. Cycle the puck with authority. Go to the friggin’ net. Nobody will remember what you did in the first round if you redeem yourself in the next three.

You have the talent to do it. Now show the world you have the gumption to do it, too. Be a difference-maker, Joe.
And it doesn't stop there (a bit dated now):

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...934/story.html

Quote:
If you want a cuppa Joe in San Jose, you'd be better off ordering up Pavelski, not Thornton.

Pavelski saved the Sharks with his goal in the last 40 seconds to send Game 2 to overtime, leading to linemate Devin Setoguchi's winner, and he ripped the OT winner past Craig Anderson in Game 4.

Meanwhile, Jumbo Joe Thornton amazingly looks like Little Joe. How does this happen so many times in the playoffs? The man has scored almost 1,000 regular-season points and he's only 31.
Joe is a very talented player but has no real desire to win or even care about the outcome of games.
It's either that or he's plain scared. There's really no other reason for Joe being a playoff no-show through 12 seasons in the NHL.

I might be way off base with this, but I think if Joe doesn't contribute, regardless of what SJ does, he's going to be traded.
I think the only thing saving him is if they win the Cup. And even then, seeing how Pavelski and Couture have matured this season, they might be better off dealing his enormous salary and getting in more hardened, playoff vets or a top-6 guy that wants to compete and raise his game in the postseason.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 47

OK I am saying Joe T goes off in the next round. I truly believe that. Yes Joe P got the trying goal with 40 second left, but it was the pass to Heatley by Joe T that got that started. Though I still wouldn't trade Joe T. Plus you will not get that much for him. So I say keep him for one more year and go from there. But I think Joe T is going to be Beasting next round.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #28
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Curse of the octopus. That's what they get for beating the Red Wings in 1994.
This ^

In all seriousness, it's probably because the big guns disappear every year. Hard to win when your 1st line isn't producing.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #29
All Star

OVR: 20

Joe Thornton: No goals, three assists in six first-round playoff games.

And people still want to defend this guy as an elite player, as a leader? Yeah, maybe in the regular season.

Here's a telling stat for Thornton disciples: Daniel Carcillo of the Flyers, one of the top goons in the NHL, had two goals and one assist in five games in the first round. More goals, just as many points as Jumbo Joe. 'Nuff said.

Thornton is a great metaphor for the Sharks. Rule in the regular season, gag in the playoffs.

Last edited by pk500; 04-27-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
OK I am saying Joe T goes off in the next round. I truly believe that. Yes Joe P got the trying goal with 40 second left, but it was the pass to Heatley by Joe T that got that started. Though I still wouldn't trade Joe T. Plus you will not get that much for him. So I say keep him for one more year and go from there. But I think Joe T is going to be Beasting next round.
Holy **** you are a stud in predicting ****. How the hell do you do it? WOW. Great job.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Joe Thornton: No goals, three assists in six first-round playoff games.

And people still want to defend this guy as an elite player, as a leader? Yeah, maybe in the regular season.

Here's a telling stat for Thornton disciples: Daniel Carcillo of the Flyers, one of the top goons in the NHL, had two goals and one assist in five games in the first round. More goals, just as many points as Jumbo Joe. 'Nuff said.

Thornton is a great metaphor for the Sharks. Rule in the regular season, gag in the playoffs.

Hello from the Thornton disciple.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andayaman
You're an extreme optimist Scott and I respect that but the only only thing the Sharks have dominated in is being mediocre. SOG counts for **** if you're putting shot after shot up, not actually expecting anything to go in. Heatley will be a ghost like he has been for the last two months and the the only thing Boyle will be smoking is a blunt.

These guys have no heart, and that's the reason they fail at the end of the season.
Still have no heart.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »