Home

Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022)

This is a discussion on Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022) within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2018, 12:37 AM   #25

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL to Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
This brings up a question few are asking. If the Sonics return in the next 5 years or so, will Seattle still be a "thriving hockey market"?
I think they'll be considered a "major sports market", having a team in all the big leagues.

Like a Minnesota, Washington, Detroit and so on(wouldn't put them on the level of a NY,Boston,LA).

So getting Sonics back I don't think will hurt the hockey team at all. If anything, you will then have 2 pro sports teams playing in a brand new arena.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #26
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
This brings up a question few are asking. If the Sonics return in the next 5 years or so, will Seattle still be a "thriving hockey market"?
No way to know, but I think the population is large enough and the sports culture significant enough that it won't be an issue. Also, the hockey team will have a 5 year head-start (minimum) to build a fanbase, and provided they don't totally stink for the entire time, they should have some entrenched fans by that point that won't necessarily abandon the team because the shiny new hoops squad comes back to town.

Of course, who knows if/when the NBA ever comes back to Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I think they'll be considered a "major sports market", having a team in all the big leagues.

Like a Minnesota, Washington, Detroit and so on(wouldn't put them on the level of a NY,Boston,LA).

So getting Sonics back I don't think will hurt the hockey team at all. If anything, you will then have 2 pro sports teams playing in a brand new arena.
Ahem....as far as sports towns go, I'd put Detroit on par with NY, Boston, and definitely LA.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #27
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Seattle gets an average of 43,000 people to show up for soccer games, I think the hockey team will be fine even if a basketball team comes in.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #28
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I like Rainiers and Emeralds the most.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #29
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Seattle gets an average of 43,000 people to show up for soccer games, I think the hockey team will be fine even if a basketball team comes in.
You're probably right. Just wondering if there's a saturation point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 01-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #30
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
You're probably right. Just wondering if there's a saturation point.
Could be. They definitely don't show up to watch the Mariners (they sell a little over half their tickets on average), but I think there are a lot of issues that people have with ownership there that hurts those attendance numbers.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #31
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Figured I should just hop in and throw out some opinions and updates:

1. No on Raniers. Having two teams in the same state with the same name is dumb even if one is a minor league team. Same reason I wouldn't want them to be the T-Birds. Tacoma isn't changing the minor league team name and they shouldn't. Should have went with Pilots or Steelheads (which I personally love and it's our state fish) if they wanted an old baseball team name.

2. I have been on the Totems (old WHL team in Seattle) train for forever for the team name, though I like Sockeyes, Seals/Sea Lions and Evergreens decently enough. There's a weird amount of people that think the team name still needs to be something vicious for some reason. Meanwhile I think they'd probably make a dope Native American art logo for Sockeyes.

3. Big no on Renegades (just lame), Firebirds, Eagles (yawn), Cougars (already a major college team, would just be annoying), Whales (leave all whale references to that team up north and Hartford). Just kinda meh on Emeralds. It's fine, but not what I want.

4. Kraken one of the more popular team name choices up here and I despise it. All because people want to say "Release the Kraken!" which will get old...already.

5. They should never even consider the SuperSonics name. But they should adopt their colors instead of the other Seattle standard.

6. Seattle almost submitted a formal application for a team this past week, but are expected to this week.

7. I really hope the Silvertips and Thunderbirds survive an NHL team. Those games are fun and way more affordable to the point where I'll still likely go to more of their games, especially since we went with KeyArena over SODO.

8. Hockey and Basketball would do just fine up here at the same time. If the Mariners don't get their **** together anytime soon, they'd probably be hurting the most, even if they did remain the third most popular team in the region. Seriously, if the Mariners actually maintained any sustained form of success, they could fill that stadium pretty regularly. People are just tired of them being terrible every year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #32

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Ownership group submits application and 10m downpayment.

Wonder if we get official announcement on a team this summer. Everyone knows its happening, so sooner it's announced, sooner they can work out draft details, especially after teams see how Vegas did. NHL would love repeat, but GMs probably don't.

And of course having all this settled before next cba starts being negotiated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »