Home

NASCAR '14 Available Now - Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on NASCAR '14 Available Now - Post Your Impressions within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #25
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NASCAR '14 Available Now - Post Your Impressions

I want to kind of take back alot of what I said about the visuals earlier. I do still feel like they are maybe downgraded a tiny bit, but I think alot of it was my tv. I had the Motion Blur setting on for some strange reason, Once I turned it off, everything now looks much better overall. It still feels a bit toned down from last year, but its nowhere near as bad as I had mentioned earlier.

The more I play, the more I'm enjoying it.

Did have a race at Chicago though tonight too, did notice some braking issues from the AI. Not anywhere near as bad as previous though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #26
Rookie

OPDriver's Arena

OVR: 2

Wow, this game is disappointing. Should have trusted my gut feelin amd just stick to pc racing.

2014 OSFC CHAMPION
Old 02-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #27
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Just picked up the game but at work til 0630. Anyone try out career mode yet?

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 11

Downloaded it off Steam and spent a few hours dialing in some settings and playing around at Daytona in Race Now to get a feel for it. A few observations:

1) With my gtx670, I was able to max all the graphical settings and average between 40-60 FPS (I use vsync and triple buffering). Looks pretty good.

2) Unlike previous iterations, I was able to dial in some very comfortable wheel settings for my Thrustmaster in no time at all. Being able to drive smoothly around the track makes such a big difference. I suspect this probably dovetails with the better driving model.

3) I would like to try out other tracks as well, but spending a bit of time at Daytona was pretty fun--definitely improved. I had no trouble bump drafting and being bump drafted around the track. Some white-knuckling pack racing to be sure. The AI was very racey.

I did notice, however, some banging around in the pack that would have resulted in spins in nr2003--that being said, this developer never claimed to be making a hardcore Nascar sim so I can overlook that. I admit, I had fun trying it out.

I suppose I'll find more issues as I spend more time with it, but I can see how they've improved upon last year. They are getting better. I don't see it replacing nr2003 in my racing rotation, but I can see it supplementing it. It's definitely decent and has more potential than all the previous versions IMO.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 7

Initial Impressions:

I like the feel/look of the menu, seems to flow a bit better than the previous versions..the music is OK..doesn't bother me either way..It is also nice not to hear Carl Edwards at the game boot up!

Gameplay:

Played a few races..one just messing around (100% AI) and was smoked by the entire field..including my boy Front Row Joe. AI seemed to be a bit more 'racey' than they were last year..bumping me, and other AI cars. I enjoyed that quite a bit.

I then raced a 32 lap race at Atlanta...had a much better result (still finished deep in the field due to a blown right front tire)..I was able to not only run the high line, but also down low. Each seemed to have their own positives and negatives..just like a real race..I loved that. The AI also mixed it up with some running the high line and other running down low..again that was nice.

It took me some getting used to the new restart procedure for the game..the first few restarts I was just jamming on the gas pedal and driving like I was ice..I would then proceed to lose 8-10 spots and be a pretty frustrated driver. Once I got it down it was nice though..ESPECIALLY since the AI cars will spin their tires as well..I'm learning to love this new feature.

Overall I wouuld recommend this game to NASCAR fans. It isn't the GREATEST game by any stretch of the imagination, but this year I think the team has produced a very enjoyable racing game.

It's late (for me ) so I am unable to post any more initial impressions (will post more once I have more time with the game), but I have plans on testing out the online portion of the game and will post my thoughts on that as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:54 AM   #30
Pro

[Icy]'s Arena

OVR: 8

Couldn't manage to setup my G27 wheel to even a playable way.

I have played with the sensitivity but either it turns way too much or nothing, and it feels totally off with the on screen wheel.

Also I might be spoiled by Iracing and Assetto Corsa and even nr2k3 but the FFB is really bad, jerky and not related to the road to the point i prefer to have it totally off.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #31
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Hmm...might have to pick this up. Is this available via digital d'load? thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2014, 05:28 AM   #32
Pro

[Icy]'s Arena

OVR: 8