Home

NASCAR '14 Available Now - Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on NASCAR '14 Available Now - Post Your Impressions within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:46 AM   #49
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NASCAR '14 Available Now - Post Your Impressions

My rental copy should be getting here today from Gamefly. I played the 360 version of NASCAR IL though one season with a rental copy and got all I wanted out the game as it stood. I would have liked to have played it more, but it was virtually unplayable online and I had to set certain "house rules" to make it work within my season. It had its moments for sure.

I've got a Fanatec GT2 wheel and Club Sport Elite pedals and wound up with some pleasing force feedback settings. I would have found the game very difficult to play with the thumbstick, but I've never been good at racing games with a thumbstick. In my brief experience with thumbstick control in NASCAR IL, I just know it was harder to hold a line than usual. I've seen no comments from Fanatec owners yet on '14, so I'm hoping that will help bring out some of the game's redeeming features. I'll report back as soon as I've had some seat time with it.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:17 AM   #50
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

For you folks using a wheel on consoles. How much easier is it to hold a line in the corners. I struggled with using controller in IL and figure it will be an issue for this as well.

Barring my wife not being home sick today expect to play in am when I get home.

If I struggle I'll have to find a good wheel for PS3

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #51
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm not seeing any problems with braking or being able to hold a line. One thing I found out last night is that your setups from the last game WILL work in this game. I have tried 4 or 5 different tracks and so far all the setups have worked. So that should help when running at tracks.

Also there is not even a concern using a controller in this game. I didn't think there was one in the last game either. I use a controller and never have a problem holding a line.

As far as sensitive steering, there is an option that I saw for that. I'm not sure how it works I have not tried it, I'm not having an issue with it.

As far as restarts it's crazy. I like that you can spin your tires but it is way over done in this game, but with that being said you can avoid it. What I do is hold the gas down and as soon as it goes green get off it and just feather the gas a couple of times. That seems to work pretty good for me. Guys using a wheel should have as easier time being able to get in the gas better, or I would assume.

Edit:Also I was gonna say something about online play. I have only done 2 races online so far but have noticed it seems about the same as the last game with glitches and trouble finding a room. It seems like it is a little harder to pass, you have to get a good run to get by the guy in front of you. Need to play it some more to see though.

One last thing, I am disappointed in the fact that we didn't get an upgrade in the stat keeping. What kind of sports game doesn't keep stats and I mean more then poles, wins, and top 10's. I don't know why they neglect that part of the game, so easy to fix.

Last edited by cusefan74; 02-20-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #52
Pro

RustedWalleye's Arena

OVR: 15

I am using a controller not a wheel, and the first thing I do is head into practice and tweak the wheel lock. On the fast tracks you can set it so the controller barely moves the car, but still does fine in the corners, helps you hold the lines better.

I played 75% yesterday on Daytona and decided to race, was a lot of fun. Couple things I have noticed, is when pitting it out of cycle and your coming in to the end of the race that the standings are off, but it is corrected when you actually finish. The leaderboard was showing me like 32nd but I was actually in 14th. Weird pit times for the AI. Was running 20% and 2x wear, and most everyone pitted in the last 3 laps for a splash of fuel. I actually made it with almost no fuel left.

AI is very aggressive. You open up a hole because you drop your line a little and they jump right in there. Had a lot of 4 wide racing in the pack if I started jockeying for position. I ran Kansas for a while and Indy and I thought the racing was good there as well. Overall pleased with the reactions of the car, and the controlling of the car even with a controller, again as long as you adjust the wheel lock for your style of driving.

Might have to break out the wheel for this one.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #53
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
For you folks using a wheel on consoles. How much easier is it to hold a line in the corners. I struggled with using controller in IL and figure it will be an issue for this as well.

Barring my wife not being home sick today expect to play in am when I get home.

If I struggle I'll have to find a good wheel for PS3
It's night and day, bro. NASCAR games are all about holding a smooth line, not scrubbing speed by zigging around in a corner. You can get something like a G27 or a Driving Force GT for pretty cheap nowadays. You spend any less than the $125 or $150 you'd spend on the DFGT and you'll wish you got a better wheel. I can handle playing your typical road-racing game with a controller, but it takes a LOT more work to get good at an oval game with a controller.

It can be done, but it's so much better with a wheel...in MOST games, you plug it right in and you're rocking. This one takes some time to tweak the settings to fit what you want.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #54
MVP

bigdoc85's Arena

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
It's night and day, bro. NASCAR games are all about holding a smooth line, not scrubbing speed by zigging around in a corner. You can get something like a G27 or a Driving Force GT for pretty cheap nowadays. You spend any less than the $125 or $150 you'd spend on the DFGT and you'll wish you got a better wheel. I can handle playing your typical road-racing game with a controller, but it takes a LOT more work to get good at an oval game with a controller.

It can be done, but it's so much better with a wheel...in MOST games, you plug it right in and you're rocking. This one takes some time to tweak the settings to fit what you want.
Anyone have recommended settings for a Driving Force GT wheel for this game?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #55
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
I'm not seeing any problems with braking or being able to hold a line. One thing I found out last night is that your setups from the last game WILL work in this game. I have tried 4 or 5 different tracks and so far all the setups have worked. So that should help when running at tracks.

Also there is not even a concern using a controller in this game. I didn't think there was one in the last game either. I use a controller and never have a problem holding a line.

As far as sensitive steering, there is an option that I saw for that. I'm not sure how it works I have not tried it, I'm not having an issue with it.

As far as restarts it's crazy. I like that you can spin your tires but it is way over done in this game, but with that being said you can avoid it. What I do is hold the gas down and as soon as it goes green get off it and just feather the gas a couple of times. That seems to work pretty good for me. Guys using a wheel should have as easier time being able to get in the gas better, or I would assume.

Edit:Also I was gonna say something about online play. I have only done 2 races online so far but have noticed it seems about the same as the last game with glitches and trouble finding a room. It seems like it is a little harder to pass, you have to get a good run to get by the guy in front of you. Need to play it some more to see though.

One last thing, I am disappointed in the fact that we didn't get an upgrade in the stat keeping. What kind of sports game doesn't keep stats and I mean more then poles, wins, and top 10's. I don't know why they neglect that part of the game, so easy to fix.
I don't have any issues holding a line in corners either using a controller on all but 2 tracks. Daytona and Talladega. I struggle there in the corners bigtime. I need to put IL back into my 360 and look at the controller settings I was using there to help adjust the steering issues with the controller and I'm sure I'll be fine. They really should have included some help screens or info in the controller settings page to help understand what the settings do to help set it up.

As for the restarts... If you do it right, wheel spin shoudlnt be much of an issue. I love that you can spin the tires though if you dont do it right, or don't time it right. For me... I'm off the gas completely until I see GO on my screen, then I ease my way into it rather aggressively. I know, that doesn't make sense, but I dont know any way to describe it. My first few starts/restarts were awful because I just held the gas down from Ready... all the way through to go. Big Mistake. If anyone is doing that... just stop it right now. Don't get in the gas until go! comes up, and until the pack has started moving. Of course if you're the leader you'll have to look at the markings on the wall, because you're in control of the start. Gas it too early, you'll spin, gas it too late, you're going to get run over and run by, gas it when you're in the restart zone, you're golden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #56
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Sure, you can do it with a controller. There's no doubt it can be done. But to compete with a driver of equal skill using a wheel is exponentially tougher doing so. You can use the "crank over to the left as far as it will go and throttle steer it" method on a controller, but you're eating up tires that way.

If I could tell you how many leagues I'd been in where the setups are fixed and somebody goes "how are *insert 2 or 3 guys' names* so much faster?"

The answer is always those 2 or 3 guys are using wheels.

Doesn't mean you CAN'T be just as fast with a controller. It takes a ton more work and incredible control on the stick to not vary a fraction of an inch mid-corner. Some aliens can do that. I know a couple of people who are incredible with the controller. But that's so rare compared to a driver of equal skill and knowledge using a good wheel setup.

Most people using controllers and laying down blazing fast times are eating the tires up a lot more than a smooth wheel driver turning the same times, so over the course of a run it shows.

Last edited by TCrouch; 02-20-2014 at 04:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »