Home

Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Idea for 11

The essential point in the debate is that homogeneity is bad for a league that runs as long as ours does.

It's not completely or directly about there being "good" and "bad" playbooks, though one could form some tentative conclusions on the basis of the frequency of choice. It's more about not wanting half your games to look/feel the same because you see the same books all the time.

I'm open to different opinions on this subject, but there is a sensible case to be made for limiting the use of some books so that owners feel like each week is different. When they all blend together, you get boredom.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 55

I definitely want everyone with an opinion on this topic to speak up or forever hold your peace. Please keep defending your point and I'll keep bringing up what I'm thinking. Ideally we'll come to a conclusion that fits from that format.

Remember... we have some room with these generic books to open up some ideas. For example, we could make generic 3-4 books available (maybe a limited amount or something) for those looking to use one instead of a 4-3 or something. Offense and defense do not need to be the same.

In the end, I'm not a big playbook person and to be honest I never notice when playing anyway so this is more for you guys.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 8

Who cares how many NFL teams run 3-4, or 4-3 the users in this league are not NFL coaches and should be able to run whatever offense or defense they want, reguardless of someone else's expectations are. If you want to make the Chicago Bears into the greatest show on turf, and turn the pass happy Colts into a 3 yards and a cloud of dust do it.

Last I checked every buys this game, they should run whatever the hell they want as long as they aren't cheesing. You cannot have a 100% mirror image of the NFL in online gaming. You want 100% play offline. If you want to compete against men who run what they're comfortable with, their style, their gameplay, habits, and tendencies then play online. In OLF's user's get stuck with teams/personnel that doesn't fit their style so based off this suggestion you lock that user into that style til he can bid for a new PB...nah I'm not buying that. In OLF's we users are the HC, OC, DC, GM, we are everything our team needs us to be. I'm definitely not for being in control of what my team does and when they do it. If users aren't breaking rules then let them be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

My take is "Old School" what ever team you own, you use THEIR playbook. Plain & Simple.

The other option we can use is in the Game Scheduling Thread, each owner post what Playbook they are using for that GAME. This allows owners the ability to "SCOUT" their opponent in reference to what Playbook they will use.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Trojan is right that the issue isn't about "good" or "bad" playbooks but "same" playbooks.

When this league first started, everyone had "free will" to do whatever they wanted, and that worked for about a season and half before "free will" turned into "hive mind."

I don't think anyone who has been playing in ACQB since the first season can deny that:

A) The early seasons were the most fun to play

B) The fun factor of the league took a nose-dive the instant everyone began gravitating towards the same 2 to 3 playbooks.

If I was running this league, I would just force default playbooks and be done with it, but since people seem to want more wiggle room:

"32 teams, 32 different playbooks" with the option to trade playbooks like they were a player on the roster is the best compromise IMO.

This automatically keeps the "hive mind" from taking over the league again, and stops people from being able to "game the game" by running the top "tourney" plays over and over again, which we all know will be making their way around the internet a few weeks after Madden is out.

Bottom line is that Madden is only fun when played with the suspension of belief that it is a real NFL game, because once you start getting into serious "Madden" strategy, all you're really doing is exploiting flaws in poorly programmed computer AI.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-02-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #14
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Trojan is right that the issue isn't about "good" or "bad" playbooks but "same" playbooks.

When this league first started, everyone had "free will" to do whatever they wanted, and that worked for about a season and half before "free will" turned into "hive mind."

I don't think anyone who has been playing in ACQB since the first season can deny that:

A) The early seasons were the most fun to play

B) The fun factor of the league took a nose-dive the instant everyone began gravitating towards the same 2 to 3 playbooks.

If I was running this league, I would just force default playbooks and be done with it, but since people seem to want more wiggle room:

"32 teams, 32 different playbooks" with the option to trade playbooks like they were a player on the roster is the best compromise IMO.

This automatically keeps the "hive mind" from taking over the league again and forces people to actually think a little bit for themselves about what plays to pick instead of just gaming the game and going for the top "tourney" tactics, which we all know will be making their way around the internet a few weeks after Madden is out.
This had a lot more to do w/ who and not what

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38s38s
Who cares how many NFL teams run 3-4, or 4-3 the users in this league are not NFL coaches and should be able to run whatever offense or defense they want, reguardless of someone else's expectations are. If you want to make the Chicago Bears into the greatest show on turf, and turn the pass happy Colts into a 3 yards and a cloud of dust do it.

Last I checked every buys this game, they should run whatever the hell they want as long as they aren't cheesing. You cannot have a 100% mirror image of the NFL in online gaming. You want 100% play offline. If you want to compete against men who run what they're comfortable with, their style, their gameplay, habits, and tendencies then play online. In OLF's user's get stuck with teams/personnel that doesn't fit their style so based off this suggestion you lock that user into that style til he can bid for a new PB...nah I'm not buying that. In OLF's we users are the HC, OC, DC, GM, we are everything our team needs us to be. I'm definitely not for being in control of what my team does and when they do it. If users aren't breaking rules then let them be.
I agree 100% w/ this. Seriously, I paid my $60+, don't tell me something as simple as what playbook I can use. I used 3 offensive playbooks during the ACQB league; Run balanced, Titans, Saints. I used 2 defensive books; Titans, multiple D. I used my league games to try different books, b/c unlike some, I didn't sit in practice mode or play online all game. That's not a jab at anyone, just that w/ some, league games are the only time Madden gets played.

Quite honestly, the only ones that would even notice the PB switching is division opponents. But even w/ that, I couldn't tell you if Andro, Danny, or Cacatch ever switched books. Maybe I wasn't scouting enough, IDK.

I think not being able to use w/e PB you want to use is BS. Yes, I want realism just as mch as anyone, but I also realize it's a game and want to have fun.

weewee, aren't you a self proclaimed ask madden guy anyway? so your thing is only against facing others PB's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Last edited by TheShizNo1; 08-02-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Yes, like Trojan said, the problem is homogeneity -- facing the same 2 - 3 playbooks week after week with only a change in uniform color separating one team from the other.

Give people the freedom to choose, and we have all seen what happens: only the top "tourney" playbooks get used, and homogeneity spreads through the league like a virus.

That is why I roll with default playbooks and ask madden: it removes the temptation to call plays based on the type of "Madden" logic that you'd see in lobby games or Madden Challenge tournaments.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-02-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Yes, like Trojan said, the problem is homogeneity -- facing the same 2 - 3 playbooks week after week with only a change in uniform color separating one team from the other.

Give people the freedom to choose, and we have all seen what happens: only the top "tourney" playbooks get used, and homogeneity spreads through the league like a virus.

That is why I roll with default playbooks and ask madden: it removes the temptation to call plays based on the type of "Madden" logic that you'd see in lobby games or Madden Challenge tournaments.
seriously, what the hell does this mean?

Here fellas you want realism..........A team starting passing the ball in the NFL down the field.......look what happened. A team started using a 2 back system......look what happened. A team built their team through a QB......look what happened.

The NFL, Football, Life, is a copy cat thing. People liked the Jets PB b/c of the 1-5-5. Address that and not teams just picking the same "PB".

Don't punish owners that have no clue what PB they want to use, b/c you don't like the "tourney" owners, playing the "tourney" way, calling the "tourney" plays.

And since you've seen the same PB 3-4 times, you should have no problem stopping it the 5th and 6th time.

Expecting real football playing Madden, was your guy's fault in the 1st place. Honestly. Madden is and always will be Madden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise »