Home

Game Length Discussion

This is a discussion on Game Length Discussion within the SFL Online Franchise forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 55
Game Length Discussion

BigFnJoe brought up the idea of shortening the length of games to help moderate the inflated stats. It's a good way to address them.

There's 2 ways we could do it: Increase accelerated clock or decrease game clock. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Well Well brought up a good idea of waiting until the gameplay patch drops and then have a league vote on it once it drops.

Discuss if you'd like.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Game Length Discussion

Move it to 8 mins 15 accel rated clock. Or increased the accel clock. We need to do this asap before all the stats are out of wack. The longer we wait the more crazy stats we will see.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

I am fine with a shorter quarter length. FYI I have also read that the 25 second accel clock doesnt work properly. Cant confirm it but I remember reading about some guys bitching about it.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Pro

primrtime's Arena

OVR: 7

How about one week we try the increased accelerated clock option and the following week we try 8 min quarters option the we compare to see which is more benficial to the league.
6 SFL Superbowl Appearances

SFL Admin
XBL Gamertag: im ur pops
Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
I am fine with a shorter quarter length. FYI I have also read that the 25 second accel clock doesnt work properly. Cant confirm it but I remember reading about some guys bitching about it.
SB your correct that the Accelerated Play Clock is not working correctly. This is most evident in the last 2 minutes of each half. Maybe the PATCH that will be out shortly will address this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
SB your correct that the Accelerated Play Clock is not working correctly. This is most evident in the last 2 minutes of each half. Maybe the PATCH that will be out shortly will address this.
Reading this makes me want to just shorten quarter lengths. Accelerated clock has always been off in the last 2 minutes.... so it extends the game even more. Maybe that logic right there seals the deal for 8 minute quarters. The game is extended in the last 2 minutes of each half by a bunch of plays anyway...

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
L*st M*n R*nn*ng

Blaise's Arena

OVR: 14

I personally don't think your going to see a huge difference in stats. Ive played 7 min games online with 15 sec run off and put up similar numbers to what I do in the league. Guys like myself, AC, Va, Lb, Tomb, etc who r scoring 40+ ever game and having 500+ yds of Offense are still going to get that. Big plays are such a huge part of this yrs game that until that issue gets resolved your going to have crazy stats.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I don't want either to change. If I were forced to chose I would say to increase the accelerated clock. That would have the adverse affect of making it near impossible to get off an audible. I quite like our current setup.

I'm not having problems on defense. I have Willis, yes, but I also have several jags and several simply serviceable players. One issue is the broken tackles; that's getting fixed via patch. Another is zone integrity; that's being fixed via patch.

And some of the problem is defensive playcalling. I'm no whiz, but I call good defensive games for the most part. I think more attention to the strengths and weaknesses of each call would improve overall defense. Working on increased pressure packages will bring down passing numbers as well.

That's all to say that several of the defensive issues many are experiencing don't have anything to do with quarter length.

I'm a fan of the proper number of plays per game. If we shorten the game up, we're still going to have unrealistic YPC and YPA numbers. The only thing that will change is the end of season total yardage. We're still going to have stats that are quite far from realistic (like 7 YPC HBs), so I don't think "accurate" statistics is a realistic benchmark.

Whatever we do, I think we should implement and proposed change either at the halfway mark or the end of the season. It's not fair to simply change it one week to the next because it has an uneven effect across the league. I don't think trying one thing one week and another the next is a smart idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise »