Home

Contract negotiations

This is a discussion on Contract negotiations within the SFL Online Franchise forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
Rookie

Shards's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Contract negotiations

This update does some good and some bad. I tested just to make sure it deletes added contracts and it does. We would have to do the Free Agents over but that wouldn't be a big deal. However, I looked through the Lions deal and they really did some odd stuff on the update so I can only assume it is this way through out. They completely removed bonuses and changed contract lengths for guys who didn't need anything changed.

Still running my test OF on LM and here are a few things I have seen midseason.

1 - When you click re-sign on a player it gives you three options. Generally the options are a 1, 3, or 5 year deal. They appear to not be influenced by previous contracts but by overall and position.

2 - If you offer 1 of the 3 it appears to be immediately accepted.

3 - These contracts are flat amounts and are not back loaded like NFL contracts. This makes those long term deals that are back loaded really screw those teams on the cap.

4 - The Bonuses in these deals are nearly non existant. Saw a 30M dollar 3 year deal with a 600k total bonus.

Conclusion so far is that using realistic contracts on LM is not going to be realistic (or even close to it) in the near future. One nice thing is that mediocre guys want a decent amount of money so more of them will probably go into free agency but elite players and overpaid guys may actually have smaller offers which feels kind of cheap. The cap will be an issue for the teams with huge long term deals as the numbers inflate. The teams who have short term deals will not notice this as much since the re-signing makes flat yearly contracts. This is one of those features that sounds great until you actually start to see it work.

May need to get the think tank together on this one
Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #34
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards
This update does some good and some bad. I tested just to make sure it deletes added contracts and it does. We would have to do the Free Agents over but that wouldn't be a big deal. However, I looked through the Lions deal and they really did some odd stuff on the update so I can only assume it is this way through out. They completely removed bonuses and changed contract lengths for guys who didn't need anything changed.

1 - When you click re-sign on a player it gives you three options. Generally the options are a 1, 3, or 5 year deal. They appear to not be influenced by previous contracts but by overall and position.

3 - These contracts are flat amounts and are not back loaded like NFL contracts. This makes those long term deals that are back loaded really screw those teams on the cap.

4 - The Bonuses in these deals are nearly non existant. Saw a 30M dollar 3 year deal with a 600k total bonus.

Conclusion so far is that using realistic contracts on LM is not going to be realistic (or even close to it) in the near future. One nice thing is that mediocre guys want a decent amount of money so more of them will probably go into free agency but elite players and overpaid guys may actually have smaller offers which feels kind of cheap. The cap will be an issue for the teams with huge long term deals as the numbers inflate. The teams who have short term deals will not notice this as much since the re-signing makes flat yearly contracts. This is one of those features that sounds great until you actually start to see it work.

yeah the update did state that they redid some contracts to get everyone under the 120 million cap, i actually prefer the flat rate contracts as to the fluctuating contracts, leads to too many issues, especially if LM crashes. also have you found a way to back up salaries in case of that, i really dont want to get into the approving of resigns gets into a judgment situation and that just equals more headaches. i could almost see allowing resigns if there was the thought of a holdout, but that is not a option,
Old 09-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #35
Pro

gameface1324's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards

Agree on all counts. Been foolin around with it in 2 other franchises Im running.

I know one thing thats screwy... when you go to resign a player, it doesnt seem to take into account their current salary as it relates to your cap.

Example, say you are 10 mil under the cap and pay Player X 5 Million a year right now. When you go to renew, he is asking for 11 mil per year. Technically, you could do that deal and still be 4 million under the cap, but LM shows that you cant afford "11" million per year because you are only 10 mil under the cap.

Last edited by gameface1324; 09-18-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #36
Rookie

Shards's Arena

OVR: 0

Completely agree with you in your preference of flat contracts. Like you said it is just way more manageable and a static cap leads to less dispute about what is fair. I don't know if there are any monster contracts out there, as far as length and back end amount, but even if you just consider half of a team coming back on their original deal. This means half of your team is actually removing more cap space every year. While anyone you re-sign or sign in free agency will not change the amount yearly. It just creates a very unbalanced cap system that lends favor to owners who started with short contracts.

They should have just used the middle year or even just taken total amounts and divided them up evenly on the existing contracts if they were going to run their contracts flat.

I haven't really looked into a backup method yet but I'll check on that during the next few days. Without seeing the full contract on the front page or even the exact amount you can't just save an instance of each team. Could be a real pain in the *** that could once again be easier with flat contracts.

Good point on re-signing. During the season negotiations only happen for hold outs and big deals. We don't have hold outs and you only need about 2 seconds to re-sign a player vs the countless hours spend in real life.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #37
Rookie

cdotts's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rl3fclov3r
I haven't bickered about anything since I joined the league with the exception of seeing an Aaron Rodgers contract total half of the most recent aging Peyton Manning contract. I said my one thing and I'm done, you're right its not my business so I'm leaving it alone.

In regards to my contracts listed previously, all those players are in the final year of the contract as per silks message, that why I thought to re-up them now.

Dubb - which contracts don't seem legit out of those? I thought those were good offers.
I do believe Mannings contract is a fluke because he was resigned on an uncapped year. Meaning you will never probably see a player contracted like that again. Considering the cap actually went down from the last capped year Payton Manning will be the highest paid player in NFL history until the next uncapped year
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #38
Sideline Football Commish

dubbduces's Arena

OVR: 23
When I thought up this idea, it was basically to help guys get an idea of their cap room early for those of us who like to plan ahead, never did I think it would cause so much bickering and guys worried about what others were doing, with that being said, I think this should just be
scrapped and done on LM at the end of the year.
SFL BOWL X Champion (Eagles, M12)
SFL BOWL XIII Champion (49ers, M13)

Madden 15- Saints
NFC SOUTH CHAMPIONS (11-4-1)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #39
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

actually the player resign is actually live on LM as we speak so you can see exactly what you will have to pay to resign your players. but it wont let you make offers if you dont have the cap room, but you cant advance the year until the offers are made, this could get interesting, Shards was there a way around this???
Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #40
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

also LM also does fluctating contracts as well ( god i miss the point system) this is getting to be such a headache I mean we are really going to have to redo the salary cap every year, because sometime LM does backloaded contracts, and sometimes they frontload them, has anyone done a mock franchise using the point values???

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise »