Home

Madden NFL 11 Blog: Catch Tuning

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Blog: Catch Tuning within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #89
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Madden NFL 11 Blog: Catch Tuning

Fifa your right according to what i read it would put madden almost on par with what Euphoria could do . That's the thing with backbreaker and the developers have come out to state it also its really being used for randomness of tackling. what separates it all is that they are using PhysX with agiea making it more easy to add in fluidity. as far as running motions i would be interested in seeing what you have come up with. i think there needs to be a slight tweek the the jerk motion of the model. what i also would like to know is the ability to program the center of gravity or change in direction , will it be static or dynamic.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #90
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Fifa your right according to what i read it would put madden almost on par with what Euphoria could do . That's the thing with backbreaker and the developers have come out to state it also its really being used for randomness of tackling. what separates it all is that they are using PhysX with agiea making it more easy to add in fluidity. as far as running motions i would be interested in seeing what you have come up with. i think there needs to be a slight tweek the the jerk motion of the model. what i also would like to know is the ability to program the center of gravity or change in direction , will it be static or dynamic.
Yeah, center of gravity is big. All balance and power in football is about pad level and keeping your center of gravity down. As much as I think ratings like strength and weight should matter, takling and momentum should always account for center of gravity level at point of collision. The proper tackling/collision outcome should be calculated off of who's in a stronger body positon. Then go from there as to whether it's about strength. A smaller back with a low center is gonna get stopped by someone who's stronger on the same plane. But the outcome should be a crumpling down tackle, as opposed to a "Waterboy-style" suplex body slam. I don't think Madden does a bad job now, but it would be nice to have some more possible outcomes based on a more dynamic physics model.

One thing that really always impressed me about Fifa10 was the player collisions and the realistic looking outcomes. However, the game didn't have the players down well enough in their various ratings to flesh it out fully. It was player tendencies, 1.0. So you don't end up with a Sig-style feel. Big guy hits little guy, little guy falls down. Well, little guys like Rooney or Tevez are little fireplugs, doesn't really matter who hits them, they don't go down and tend to actually give out punishment. I'd like to see Madden get that right, to have the guys feel authentic. It's cool to have Big Ben's throwing motion down, but I'd like to have my D-End hanging on him like onto him for dear life while he's doing the Kenny Stabler and fighting till he hits the ground to get the pass off.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #91
MVP

Hova57's Arena

my understanding of this is that based on the joint code you could point on any part of the body this would be possible and allowing this to be a contact point that would shift you center of gravity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #92
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
my understanding of this is that based on the joint code you could point on any part of the body this would be possible and allowing this to be a contact point that would shift you center of gravity.
In Madden? Or BackBreaker?

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 03-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #93
MVP

Hova57's Arena

in madden with the use of autodesk.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #94
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

The info sounds good, but all these screen shots were in Madden 10 supposedly and the video just showed the bad animations. Then again, there were some nice 5 second vids of pass/run blocking released last year too, so even if they showed me visual proof, I still wouldn't buy it at this point.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #95
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
in madden with the use of autodesk.
The contact point needs to be based on the AI and be done on the fly. I'm sure there an "if-then" set of calculations based on postioning, but it needs to be driven by the Procedural Awareness engine. I'd like to see where a DB on a fly route has as his PA focus on the receiver and his eyes. He doesn't react with the ball coming into his "sphere of awareness," he reacts to the head tracking of the receiver. Then, he shifts his PA target to the ball. There should always be a primary PA target, then a secondary that is based on "reads." I'm not really seeing that yet. That's why blocking is so bad. There doesn't seem to be a multi-layed AI decision chain, that's why the FB becomes confused and double team blocking becomes so jumbled and confused. Each NPC needs to have a strong primary PA focus, based on pre-snap assignments. Then it chains out as the play unfolds.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #96
MVP

Hova57's Arena

i'm really excited to see how this new CDT will work in relation to Cb also they should be able to do this to. and will this lead to better passing because you should be able to direct the ball more into a spot and the player should now play the ball and adjust his body. so throwing low and away you would get more of a leaning catch, or up and away will be more of a hands catch or like the beautiful pass manning threw to clark over his shoulder in the superbowl.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »