Home

NBA Live 18 Videos Released

This is a discussion on NBA Live 18 Videos Released within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #41
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: NBA Live VLOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
Live will never animate as smoothly as 2k. I think it's time we stop expecting that. 2k smooth animations lead to a lot of frustrating sequences that take the control out of your hands.

It's a matter of preference. I'd rather see 'clunky' animations if it means my players don't get sucked into areas of the court they shouldn't. To each their own, but 2ks smooth animations allow people to look past the issues deeply rooted in the game engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live used to be the game with smoother animations but that's not the point.

The awful clunky jerky unrealistic spastic robotic movement is unacceptable in 2017 and one of the main reasons this game has cancellation and delay issues.

Nobody has to even bring up 2k. There are plenty of 60 dollar video games that perform this very well and you can't keep making excuses for a sports game that has failed multiple times if you expect anything to get better.

It has nothing to do with control either..what they don't need is any dishonest feedback because someone wants their game to be good.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Live 18 Videos Released

I love how anytime the word animations is brought up here it also includes the word looks and not feels which is EA's strong point. Over photoshopped filtered selfie generation I guess.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #43
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
Live will never animate as smoothly as 2k. I think it's time we stop expecting that. 2k smooth animations lead to a lot of frustrating sequences that take the control out of your hands.

It's a matter of preference. I'd rather see 'clunky' animations if it means my players don't get sucked into areas of the court they shouldn't. To each their own, but 2ks smooth animations allow people to look past the issues deeply rooted in the game engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your first and second paragraphs way of thinking is the "problem" for the lack of a better word.

First paragraph

Let's look at this from a different point of view. Let's not even mention the other company whatsoever. Let's simply compare Live's animation to real life NBA and athletic player movements. One should be able to sample EA Live's player movements and make a direct visual comparison to real basketball player movement and see a pretty significant concern, and how it's not quite ready for primetime.

There are three popular online animation schools (animation mentor, ianimate, animschool). There are large animation studios, such as Pixar and Dreamworks. Submit NBA live footage and real NBA footage to any of these companies and they will be able to pinpoint exactly what the problems are, and what changes needs to be implemented to get more realistic fluid life like movements. Even if EA submits it to students and professors at any accredit animation art school and they'll see a reason for concern.

Bottom line: I was hoping for animations that truly capture the essence (i.e. smoother, more realistic animation) of a real athlete on the court.

Second paragraph
It's a current preference because you've never experienced a sport game that offers both realistic smooth animation and total player control. Let's look at two baseball games as examples: MLB the Show and Pro Yakyuu Spirits.

Fans of MLB the Show love the game and its animations, however, sometimes one may lose control of their players causing frustrations. Pro Yakyuu Spirits (PYS) combines the best of both worlds, way better animations and PYS offers absolutely full player control.

Bottom line: Player control doesn't mean one has to sacrifice smooth realistic animations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
Players bodies look weird like midgets and the same robotic animations. Who the heck is this suppose to be?
My first reaction was that looks kind of like Tyson Chandler.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 05-24-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #44
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

OVR: 0
Meh, wasn't impressed by the short clip, player movement and animations still kinda stiff, looks like Live 16, need to see more game play. That D'Andre Jordan block looked really bad, very stiff.

Last edited by Americas Team; 05-24-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #45
Rookie

SavoyPrime's Arena

OVR: 1
Call me a snob, but I'm not impressed by any of what I saw. They take a year off and this is the best they can do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 30
Definitely looks like the same ole choppy animating Live. 2 yrs+ of work on the game, and I hope I don't find out it's on the Frostbite engine...
Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 1

I'm not to worried this looks like an old build, maybe it's an old enough build prior to the delay. I'm guessing the EA suits played this build and wanted to clean up the clunky herky jerky animations, so expect a totally different build at EA Play. All we can do is give positive feedback and pray EA Devs listen to our input.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #48
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Enforcer
I love how anytime the word animations is brought up here it also includes the word looks and not feels which is EA's strong point. Over photoshopped filtered selfie generation I guess.
Im cant be too mad at people wanting their players to do things that look like what an basketball player would actually do. Theyve had that backwards flailing layup that Ive literally never seen in real time in there for 3 years now and its never felt good. I think they just added the ability to pass out of a shot last year...but most still lock you in....so for me its not just cosmetic.

Im assuming you meant control though, which is where Live definitely does excel...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »