Home

TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders

This is a discussion on TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders

First thing first, I did not design these sliders with a full sim experience in mind. If you're looking for full sim, I recommend using one of these two slider sets:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...l-edition.html

What I'm chasing with these sliders is a feeling while playing. I want my inputs to have impact, while at the same time I don't want to lose player differentiation and the thrill of managing a team properly. While I feel I've struck a nice balance, obviously this point is going to be different for different people.

V6 is the latest version. V6 is NOT uploaded to the vault. I have no ETA on when it will be.

Settings

Hitting Difficulty: Veteran, All-Star, Hall of Fame, and Legend - all black numbers are universal

Hitting interface: Directional - Pairs great with the Directional Hitting Guide (shameless self-plug).

Input type: Buttons
Camera shift: Off
Hitting View: The Show 15
In-Play view offense: Medium
Guess Pitch: off
Baserunning Decisions: Assist
Baserunning Interface: Default
Sliding Decisions: On

Pitching Difficulty: Hall of Fame or Legend - all black numbers are universal

Pitching Interface: Pulse I find pulse is the best interface is you want your input to have impact. Attributes still have a huge role to play, they effect how small the pulse can get, how large it can get, the speed it pulses at and tons of other variables. Overall a great interface for the melding of sim and player input.

Pitching View: Fish Eye

API:Off - When playing franchise, I take on the role of both pitcher and catcher. I have no interest in what the CPU thinks is good since I (the catcher) am the one calling the game. I'm also the manager in the dugout. Man franchise is fun.

Throwing Interface: Button Accuracy - Once again button accuracy is great for player impact, while still keeping the fact that attributes have an impact on the interface.

Throwing meter: On

Throwing Difficulty: All-Star or Hall of Fame - Pick Hall of Fame if you really want to up the challenge.

Throwing decision: Off
In play view defence: Medium
Throw Cancelling: On
Hot Zones: Off

Anything not mentioned is user's choice, and even these settings are recommendations. However the base difficulties and interfaces need to stay the same for the slider set.

Sliders

Dynamic Difficulty Sensitivity: N/A

Human Contact: 5 6 6 6 - Human contact will effect a few things, like the size of the invisible PCI, the width of the timing window, check swing ability and foul frequency.

Human Power: 5 - Power effects the average speeds of balls off the bat.

Human Timing: 0 1 4 5 - Effects the users ability to get the bat on pitches they mistimed. Also has a small impact on ideal timing.

Human Foul Frequency: 4 - This slider effects the "grey area" when your batter doesn't quite line up a ball, figuring out if they get any contact at all. This is a little too powerful in the Show, especially if we want good inputs to be rewarded and bad ones to be punished.

Human Solid Hits: 5 5 7 7 - This slider effects the batters ability to track the ball and get quality hits on good inputs.

Human Starter Stamina: 8 - Starters won't be able to match real life pitch counts without this boost. Also solves some bullpen management issues with the CPU.

Human Reliever Stamina: 7 - See above.

Human Pitcher Control: 5

Human Pitcher Consistency: 5

CPU Contact: 5 3

CPU Power: 5

CPU Timing: 5

CPU Foul Frequency: 4 - Will help reduce those times when the computer just decides it's going to foul everything off. It's fine when it happens but happens slightly too often at 5. Also set this way for fair play.

CPU Solid Hits: 6 5 - You might think that I set this slider this way in the name of fair play, and you'd be partially correct. However, the real reason is because with pitching in this game it's too easy to roll through teams when a pitcher is hot, just pounding the strike zone. In order to give up walks (without the frustration of feeling it's out of your control) you need some fear of the zone. Raising CPU solid hits will make you fear the zone, especially in the middle of the lineup.

CPU Starter Stamina: 8 - Same reason as Human Starter Stamina

CPU Reliever Stamina: 3 - With my extensive testing I've found that while it will effect the average quality of pitches at a given stamina level, the stamina slider has no impact on total potential pitches before running out on the levels between 3 and 7. Since CPU managers only care about the quality of pitching, this setting will encourage them to better manage their bullpen while having no impact on the total potential pitches a reliever can make. This is a compromise for the set it and forget it crowd like me.

CPU Pitcher Control: 5

CPU Pitcher Consistency: 5

CPU Strike Frequency: 0 1 1 3 - This will drastically improve the CPU's pitching strategy. You will see a big difference between great pitchers and poor ones with this setting. CPU Strike Frequency effects how often a pitcher pitches to the corner, as opposed to just getting a strike. It is necessary for the CPU to pitch a little more carefully to you then it would on default because you will hammer opposing pitchers if they are in the zone too often too early (same goes for you BTW).

CPU Manager Hook: 6

CPU Pickoffs: 2

Fastball Pitch Speed: User's Choice +1 (7 recommended) +-0 (6 recommended) -1 (5 recommended) -1 (5 recommended) - must be the same as offspeed

Offspeed Pitch Speed: User's Choice +1 (7 recommended) +-0 (6 recommended) -1 (5 recommended) -1 (5 recommended) - must be the same as fastball

Fielding Errors Infield: 7 - You will see a little more differentiation between good and bad fielders with this turned up.

Fielding Errors Outfield: 7 - See above.

Throwing Errors Infield: 9 - Since I'm using buttons accuracy, this only effects the CPU. Needed in order to compensate for a few factors.

Throwing Errors Outfield: 8 - See above.

Fielder Run Speed: 2 - Provides a little more differentiation on the field, and seems much more natural.

Fielder Reaction: 4 - Again provides a little more differentiation, and highlights plus fielders abilities. I was initially against turning these two sliders down, but Armor convinced me. Afterwards I realized what a good idea it was, since default sliders are balanced for online play.

Fielder Arm Strength Infield: 6 - You'll see the ball snap out of fielders hands much more naturally at this setting. Also cannon infielders are much more of a weapon now. I suspect it was tuned down for online play.

Fielder Arm Strength Outfield: 6 - No more lazy arcs! The ball path and trajectory will look natural far more often, and true cannon outfielders can be difference makers now. Again, probably was tuned for online play.

Baserunner Speed: 7 - Will see some real speed demons, and much more true to life speeds in general. Don't worry, slugs will still chug down the baseline, and the arm strength buff will keep things even steven for the most part. This just allows a slight bit more base hits on difficult grounders when you got a speedster running down the line, especially when facing a guy with a poor arm.

Baserunner Steal Ability: 5 - Has the most direct impact on stolen base success for both you and the CPU.

Baserunner Steal Frequency: 5

Wind: 5 - While power effects bat exit velocity, wind effects how well a ball carries once in the air.

Injury Frequency: 5

Trade Frequency: 5 - There are other sets with better solutions, but I don't want to bother with changing my settings every in game month.

There you go! I've always said that everyone should make their own sliders, but hopefully showing you the changes I made, and more importantly why will help you find the slider setting of your dreams. Enjoy!

If you want your input to have even more impact when it comes to batting, the three sliders you want to focus on are Solid Hits, Foul Frequency, and Timing. Raising Solid Hits and lowering timing will reward good inputs more, while lowering both Foul Frequency and Timing will punish bad inputs more.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 07-24-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Pro

No.27's Arena

Re: TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders

Thanks for sharing these! I thought I'd just locked in rjackson sliders. Of course now I'm going to give these a go. Out of interest and if you don't mind sharing as well which roster are you using? I'm leaning heavily to rolling with justmuncs new Fictional for the rest of the year.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.27
Thanks for sharing these! I thought I'd just locked in rjackson sliders. Of course now I'm going to give these a go. Out of interest and if you don't mind sharing as well which roster are you using? I'm leaning heavily to rolling with justmuncs new Fictional for the rest of the year.
99.9% of my playtime is with the default roster... from 2014.

I REALLY like justmunc's fictional and am planning on starting a new franchise for testing/funsies, probably doing things like player lock and critical situations.

I'm just so emotionally attached to my carry over Blue Jays from 2014. It's hard to tear myself away from something I poured so much time into, despite it's flaws (inflated attributes, massive team disparity, my extreme abuse of the broken trade system of 2014).

Like I say in the OP if you're looking for pure sim there are other slider sets that I think are better (rjackson's are my personal favourite) but since you're rolling with Justmunc's roster you may find the added pitch control a little more realistic, since his control attributes are nerfed (so I've heard, you're actually my source for that).

Remember my settings are also for pulse pitching. The last time I used any other interface was MLB 09 so no playtesting outside of it. Not a criticism just things to keep in mind for if you dive in.

I'd suggest trying before you buy. DL my sliders and justmunc's roster, load them both up, switch to my settings and hop into the practice modes. See how you like the feel of it.

Edit: PS any suggestions for a team to play in justmunc's? I didn't like the look of the jays in there. Mets are my NL team, and I really like the stadiums for the Astros and the Brewers. Pretty much any dynamic roof stadium is a major plus.

Of course I'll be goofing around more/taking it less seriously, so I'll move around stadiums and whatnot, using the throwbacks too, so stadium isn't the biggest deal.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 07-09-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Pro

No.27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
99.9% of my playtime is with the default roster... from 2014.

I REALLY like justmunc's fictional and am planning on starting a new franchise for testing/funsies, probably doing things like player lock and critical situations.

I'm just so emotionally attached to my carry over Blue Jays from 2014. It's hard to tear myself away from something I poured so much time into, despite it's flaws (inflated attributes, massive team disparity, my extreme abuse of the broken trade system of 2014).

Like I say in the OP if you're looking for pure sim there are other slider sets that I think are better (rjackson's are my personal favourite) but since you're rolling with Justmunc's roster you may find the added pitch control a little more realistic, since his control attributes are nerfed (so I've heard, you're actually my source for that).

Remember my settings are also for pulse pitching. The last time I used any other interface was MLB 09 so no playtesting outside of it. Not a criticism just things to keep in mind for if you dive in.

I'd suggest trying before you buy. DL my sliders and justmunc's roster, load them both up, switch to my settings and hop into the practice modes. See how you like the feel of it.

Edit: PS any suggestions for a team to play in justmunc's? I didn't like the look of the jays in there. Mets are my NL team, and I really like the stadiums for the Astros and the Brewers. Pretty much any dynamic roof stadium is a major plus.

Of course I'll be goofing around more/taking it less seriously, so I'll move around stadiums and whatnot, using the throwbacks too, so stadium isn't the biggest deal.
Good stuff on keeping it going from 2014. I wish I had kept my Fictional Red Sox going from back in those days but I couldn't help myself and made them too damn good! I'm already set for the Red Sox again this year as there are a few of my all time favourites in there.

As for your choice the Brewers are a major rebuild. The Astros and Mets are middle of the pack teams. I'd go for the Mets as the rotation/bullpen is really strong and you can build the batting/fielding. A big plus for me is that they have Bill Scott the only true Knuckleballer in the roster.

With the sliders i don't need pure sim as I'm playing with the Fictional roster. Phew! I like the look of them because they are so close to Default which I was using for a while. I'm also very interested in giving Veteran a go so will take your suggestion and use them in practice mode and let you know how I go.

Thanks again for posting these.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
A big plus for me is that they have Bill Scott the only true Knuckleballer in the roster.
Sold. Love me a solid tickler.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
Pro

No.27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Sold. Love me a solid tickler.
Plus you will never have to face him! Bacons Fictional has one on the Dodgers that had me in fits last night. Scraped together 1 run on 2 hits with 12 strikeouts which was no where near enough to win a playoff game.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Appreciate the shout out and again I give Nomo a lot of credit as I stole a lot of his stuff as he gets in more extensive testing than anyone I know.

As I was saying in the other thread, nothing is more important than getting the right difficulty levels. As for the pitch speeds, that is something else that each individual really needs to figure out. Look at this video for reference and put yourself in the hitters shoes. If your timing is better than what they are showing here, you never foul off when fooled ever, you need to adjust. If you are never late on a heater, you need to adjust. The happy spot is where a high contact guy like LeMehiue can pull foul a change when you were fooled but average hitters cannot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vkUM_iKXDeo

I am glad you shared your sliders. The more people who do, the more resources peole have to get the best experiences.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Good stuff on keeping it going from 2014. I wish I had kept my Fictional Red Sox going from back in those days but I couldn't help myself and made them too damn good!
This is seemingly the difference between me and most OSers, and probably why I'm one of the few who's still playing their 14 carry over. I have no issue making my team too good.

You'll notice I avoid specifics about my team in threads. It's because I'm a little embarrassed at how stacked my team is.

On another note, I took another look at the Jays in Justmunc's fictional last night and realized what I didn't like about them was there lineup was focused around a 35 year old RF, their best starting pitcher was a 32 year old on the last year of their contract, and the closer was pathetic. Outside of the stars they had a pretty deep roster. I mucked around and ended up trading the RF and CP to the Mets for their #2 starter, their CP, and a young CF with a lot of upside whose attributes seem more suited for right field. I switched the CF to RF and I like the team a lot more now.

The lineup lacks power, which is an important tool at the roger's centre, but has great depth and sustainability now, along with plenty of upside and less salary. Depth and sustainability are the two pillars I build any sports franchise on. Might stick with them now that I don't have to worry about my star player turning into paper and losing trade value. Could contest, and I've got plenty of prospects to help trade up if needed, but at the same time they are no Cubs either (they look scary) and there are lots of highly tradeable pieces outside what I would consider the core. Highly flexible.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 07-10-2017 at 09:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »