Home

Can we take a moment to congratulate the GAMEPLAY dev team?

This is a discussion on Can we take a moment to congratulate the GAMEPLAY dev team? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #1
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1
Can we take a moment to congratulate the GAMEPLAY dev team?

I'm seeing a lot of people around the internet complaining (myself included) and i just don't feel like it's an accurate reflection of how good the gameplay is, so i thought it'd be worth setting up a thread where people can express their positive thoughts too. The 2k team slaves over this game for almost a year and they're only human, it'd be nice for them to hear that their work is appreciated. Also, 2K are more likely to build on the things that people appreciate. Think about that for a moment.

For me the gameplay is a total triumph. I've been playing basketball games since 2001 and this is the most impressed i've ever been with the gameplay. In terms of the little "risk/reward" sub-games of the game, i feel like this is the best it's ever been. You have to think from a basketball perspective to win. I'm seeing a lot of people on the internet complain that the game is too hard (i can't make shots! Too many turnovers! Defense is horrible!), but that's a load of bull$hit. I just blew out the Bucks with my crappy expansion team on superstar (where Ibaka, Jeremy Lin & Kyle Anderson are my big 3). This year it's not the game that's bad, it's the player.

Not only that, the way the animations branch off each other is pretty amazing. It moves beautifully. Defense feels SOOOOO much better. The "live ball" feel is really cool too. The driving game is great. Rebounding is cool. And there's so many other little tweaks under the hood that i can't put my finger on that are contributing to making this game feel like real NBA basketball.

I'm sure as we play it over the coming weeks/months there will be trends that emerge within the gameplay that need to be tweaked, but i don't believe anybody can have the grounds to complain about the gameplay until they really express how ****ing good it is. To me it's like basketball heaven. It's easily the best gameplay they've ever released. Way better than 2k11 imo, anybody who says otherwise is just getting cute with it imo. So congrats to Mike Wang, Scott O, Da Czar and whoever else who worked on the gameplay. I'm having an awesome time with the game. There's not enough time in the day to play with all the teams that i wanna play with.

What are you guys loving about the game?

Last edited by Barncore; 09-18-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Can we take a moment to congratulate the GAMEPLAY dev team?

Congrats.

The gameplay is amazing. I'm speechless at how good it is. 2K17 was such a let down to me that I was going to buy this game used later in the year but I'm glad I picked it up and got it on launch. I'm gonna need some more time with it but so far gameplay wise this is probably the best 2K ever.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
2K OL Legend

amedawg00's Arena

OVR: 15

It's the Goat 2k. Mike (head of the snake), Jerson (Movement) Zach (Post play) really out did themselves with 2k18. By far the cleanest and smoothest gameplay ever to grace any console. Just like it took the 4th iteration on last Gen to reach to the magnus opus that was 2k11, thus it took 4 iterations on current Gen to arrive at the watershed moment that is 2k18. This game owns my soul man. My only gripe ironically was non gameplay regarding the online framerate glitch that dropped the framerate after timeouts in online head to head, but even that has been alleviated, when I switched my camera to broadcast zoom and low. Mind blown at the night and day experience from 17 to 18. To think they pulled this off in one cycle or better yet had been slowly building to the this crescendo after 4 iterations in the current consoles.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

[XLSL SIX NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SIV NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SVI NBA 2K12 Champion]

[SCH SI NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIV NBA 2K16 Champion]

[SCH SV NBA 2K18 Champion]

Last edited by amedawg00; 09-18-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 AM   #4
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
It's the Goat 2k. Mike (head is the snake), Jerson (Movement) Zach (Post play) really out did themselves with 2k18.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
I think the post play is bad, post players in real life have go to moves like hook shots and such when going into the lane, and for me when iv tried using them, they are way off and shoot low percentages, when in reality dominant post players if not doubled could hit these shots at a high percentage. Plus getting good position means nothing sometimes cause they just clip thru your entire body to glitch the ball away, at that point its all for nothing if a defender can do that to stop you.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #5
MVP

J-Clutch1's Arena

My big issue is when there's a player in the corner and his man decides to completely leave him and stand pretty much in the middle of the paint.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2017, 01:24 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 5

For Park and pro am
I think there are way too many missed layups and dunks. Big guys still can't dunk and layup over little guys, but the little guys fly in and make the dumbest moves ever seen
Stealing on ball is too low, you can literally stand there with the worst pg of all time and k Leonard can't steal the ball.

Park and pro am is completely terrible game play wise. I swear for the first few hours the game moved beautifully, bad players missed dumb shots, etc but a few hours later and now it's worse than 2k17. Sliding on defense and being sucked into screens just magically appeared.. 60 overall 6 2 guards making layups over 7ft 88 paint protectors with rim badges multiple times a game,, players with no business making contested shots making them back to back, people just literally running around throwing the ball up, balls just dropping from people for no reason, people running through people constantly.. 2K HELPING BAD PLAYERS LOGIC JUST SHOWS UP OUT OF THE BLUE.. I could go on for hours, but just gonna make a YouTube video and leave it at that... it's a dam circus out there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-18-2017, 01:29 AM   #7
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

well this went south instantly lol smh

Last edited by swac07; 09-18-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #8
Banned

Gameplay is the best yet. Usually gameplay out of the box is the most realistic. It makes sense - if you spend months refining and testing something, it's gonna play better. Patches (too many noobs complaining because theyre not good) on the other hand, are more reactive and less tested.

How long this lasts depends on how long 2K can stand firm against the winds of hundreds of social media noobs complaining about "why doesn't this smothered / heavily contested shot go in, Im rated 95!". 2K didn't hear the arcade voice as much until nba live went d.o.a. and all the arcade ballers migrated over.

Also, it's still kinda premature because we don't know how gameplay will be when everyone is fully decked out in badges, steroids/boosts, and finding the cheesiest moves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »