Home

Becoming a Post God - Post Your Tips Here

This is a discussion on Becoming a Post God - Post Your Tips Here within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Becoming a Post God - Post Your Tips Here

I think the post game is underutilized by many in 2K, especially as the NBA game skews even further towards 3s and layups. I'd like this thread to serve as a spot for everyone to share their tips on becoming a beast in the post on 2K18. The variety of moves and the added smoothness of chaining those moves together should give us more ways to score in the post than ever before. That includes but is definitely not limited to...most effective moves and animations, best spots to score from in the post, scoring with and without the dribble, and best post plays and playbooks. I know there's a general tips thread, but I think there's a deeper dive to be done on the post game. I know my post game could definitely use some work, so all advice is appreciated!

I'll start with the results of some labbing I did on post hooks...

THE CONDITIONS
-Played 8 first quarters with the Pelicans against the Warriors on Superstar difficulty so that all players had peak stamina and I was less likely to see substitutions
-I exclusively called simple post-ups (Punch 5) with Boogie (97 post hook) for 4 of those quarters and with AD (92 post hook) for 4 of those quarters
-I flip-flopped their positions so each would be guarded by Draymond Green for 2 quarters and Zaza Pachulia for the other 2
-When I would catch the ball in the post, I'd do at least one backdown of the defender once engaged, and most of the time I'd shoot right then because it seemed to get me the best chance of a clean look with a lesser contest
-The goal was to see generally how effective post hooks are, and to see how their effectiveness changed when facing two very different types of defenders...a smaller but much better and better-badged defender (Draymond) vs a larger but inferior defender without defensive badges (Zaza, who is almost exactly the same size as Boogie)
-I mostly shot from the edge of the paint in the low post and used both sides about equally
-I shot 75-80% of the shots going towards the baseline instead of towards the paint, as I've generally found those more effective and easier to get off

THE RESULTS
Boogie: 6/19 against Draymond and 6/25 against Zaza (12/44 overall - 27%)
AD: 9/21 against Draymond and 8/15 against Zaza (17/36 overall - 47%)

THE CONCLUSION
Boogie has the superior post control, size, strength and hook shot rating, which leaves only a few possibilities for why he'd shoot so much worse than AD against both defenders...

Post hook animations: AD's post hook animations, especially towards the baseline, seemed to get more clearance from the defender laterally and a slight bit more vertically. They also seemed to be a tick faster between starting the animation and the release of the ball, and the defenders were noticeably less likely to get a good contest on AD's hooks.

User error: Obviously this is a small sample size, and while I tried to utilize them in the same way, it's possible something I did skewed the results.

While the computer doesn't give shot feedback on post shots, it seemed to me that anything the defender did that would even register as a light contest would drop the chances of my shot dropping to almost zero. If I got off the defender clean and went up quickly with no contest, especially with AD, it was almost automatic that the shot would drop. It seems to me that the success of the post hook is almost entirely dependent on getting what would be considered an "uncontested" look. The major difference between Boogie and AD is their post animations. AD's are much better in the ways that matter to have success on that particular shot.

Last edited by Nickstank; 09-20-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Becoming a Post God - Post Your Tips Here

I love the post game. I play with the Celtics, and player lock to the PF position and use the post game with Marcus Morris. He's a beast with that post fadeaway shot. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Rookie

Jahlil Okafor is absolutely rigged in the post game, it's absurd, he's better than Joel Embiid.

Yea, you read that correctly.

The Spin Move/Drop Step are still rigged. As long as you time the spin, know when to use a drop step, it's unstoppable for somebody with silver/gold badges.

On default HOF settings, I'm averaging 24 ppg in 11 mpg with Jahlil Okafor on 83% shooting. This is through 13 games, 6 minute quarters.

He's going to win MVP, 6MOY and maybe even DPOY because he's getting 3.9 bpg lol

Oh, btw, pretty sure he's only rated a 73 overall.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Pro

Something else I've noticed...they either removed the "post shove" animation that led to free dunks or they've made it much more difficult to complete. I think this is a good thing because it was pretty cheesy, even though I'm not sure a ton of people knew about it. In 2K17 you could back down the defender, briefly release L2 and left stick, then press them again (with LS towards the defender) and get an exaggerated shove that would allow you to get an uncontested dunk as long as you went up immediately.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickstank
I think the post game is underutilized by many in 2K, especially as the NBA game skews even further towards 3s and layups. I'd like this thread to serve as a spot for everyone to share their tips on becoming a beast in the post on 2K18.
Spoiler
Can you do a session strictly with post hook shots outside the restricted circle with the following three individuals on Hall of Fame default? When is the proper release timing for hook shots? When do you release the right stick?

(1) Abdul Jabar
(2) Hakeem Olajuwon
(3) Shaq

It seems like the hook shot specifically is incredibly much more difficult to successfully score than any other post scoring maneuver. User, The 24th Letter, seems to have a very good success with hook shots while me and a few others have more difficulties.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...er-pool-8.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I love the post game.
Spoiler
I would like to hear what your take is on simply post play hook shots that's outside the restricted circle. My experience is that any other shot have a much higher success rate than the hook shot. The hook shot is where it's most challenging. I play on Hall of Fame.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
Rookie

Can someone please please please help me?

Every time I post up and try a baseline to the bucket spin, instead my guy breaks out this little step back and to the baseline jumpshot.

I cannot figure out what is going on. I've used spins for years, and been locked in as a big since nba2000.

And now I cannot use such a key move. It just seems gone.

Can someone please explain what I am doing that is making me do a spin step back jumpshot instead of the spin to the hoop? Please? Desperate here....
Old 09-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Good thread! Keep coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Can you do a session strictly with post hook shots outside the restricted circle with the following three individuals on Hall of Fame default? When is the proper release timing for hook shots? When do you release the right stick?

(1) Abdul Jabar
(2) Hakeem Olajuwon
(3) Shaq

It seems like the hook shot specifically is incredibly much more difficult to successfully score than any other post scoring maneuver. User, The 24th Letter, seems to have a very good success with hook shots while me and a few others have more difficulties.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...er-pool-8.html

I would like to hear what your take is on simply post play hook shots that's outside the restricted circle. My experience is that any other shot have a much higher success rate than the hook shot. The hook shot is where it's most challenging. I play on Hall of Fame.
I will if I get some time today. I've been obsessively labbing specific aspects of the game in my free time over the last few days and not playing full games like I've been meaning to.

As for hook shot timing, I try to release at the very peak of the animation, and I've been using the vibration as a guide since there's no meter on those shots. I can tell you I tried out '01 Lakers Shaq a little bit yesterday and his hook animations are TERRIBLE at getting separation, and they're very slow. Pretty much every one ended up with a good contest from the defender, and I made even fewer with him than I did with Cousins. I'll let you know about Hakeem and Kareem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »